Exchange as a listserv

Post by Rasmus Bec » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

is there anyway to use Exchange Server as a listserver?

And how would I creat a web interface in ASP for signing up with the
listserver.

-Rasmus

Exchange as a listserv

Post by Dana Lov » Thu, 20 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi Rasmus.

That depends on the features you want to use in the listserver...

If you're looking at setting up a moderated list, then it won't work.  If
you're looking at setting up a secured list, then it won't work.  If you're
looking at setting up a number of large lists, then it's probably not the
best option.

If, however, you're looking for a smallish (like under 200) user list,
unmoderated, then it'll certainly work for you.  Essentially, you're making
a distribution list with a publicly known SMTP address, and people post
messages to the SMTP address.

Of course, it'll have none of the features of any of the popular
listservers...

To create a signup system, you'd have to find a way to get the ASP to send
a command line message to the server.  Sadly, I can't recall the command
structure, so I'm not going to be much help on this point.

Now, Exchange works amazingly well as a list forwarder.  I use the LSoft
LISTSERV product to work as my list server, and use Exchange as the SMTP
gateway.  I also use the anonymous folders feature (with some
modifications) to work as a web based archive of the list.  It's a cool
setup (I think, but I'm biases), and it's pretty efficient.

Cheers!

---
Dana Love
Manager, Information Systems
Control Technology Corporation

(508) 435-9595

Quote:> Hello everyone,

> is there anyway to use Exchange Server as a listserver?

> And how would I creat a web interface in ASP for signing up with the
> listserver.

> -Rasmus

Exchange as a listserv

Post by Trevor Lawrenc » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Look at http://www.reddfish.com.nz/reddfish/listserver

===============
Trevor Lawrence
School of Computing
University of Canberra
AUSTRALIA

===============

>Hello everyone,

>is there anyway to use Exchange Server as a listserver?

>And how would I creat a web interface in ASP for signing up with the
>listserver.

>-Rasmus

Exchange as a listserv

Post by Rasmus Bec » Fri, 21 Nov 1997 04:00:00

The server you mention here doesn't have a DNS entry. are you sure you
types in the correct one?

-Rasmus

> Look at http://www.reddfish.com.nz/reddfish/listserver

> ===============
> Trevor Lawrence
> School of Computing
> University of Canberra
> AUSTRALIA

> ===============

> >Hello everyone,

> >is there anyway to use Exchange Server as a listserver?

> >And how would I creat a web interface in ASP for signing up with the
> >listserver.

> >-Rasmus

Exchange as a listserv

Take a look at www.lyris.com. Excellent product.

--
Jon Johnston
Creative Business Solutions

http://www.msphub.com        <---- Email/Messaging Solutions

Exchange as a listserv

Post by Conal Tuoh » Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hi Rasmus

Some other people have already pointed you at our server:

http://www.reddfish.co.nz/reddfish/listserver

But I thought I'd add that we also have an ASP interface on the listserver,
which you can have the  code for - just let me know and I'll send it to
you. It would work with other ListServers too, with some small
modifications. It's all VBScript, using Active Messaging to send an email
to the ListServer's mailbox.

Conal

Quote:> Hello everyone,