Address book question, express style

Post by inquiring mind » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm using Outlook Express v.4.72 over a WAN to retrieve mail from my
Exchange 5.5 server.  I'm in need of an address book and when trying to
'File' - 'Import' - 'Address Book' the formats that show up to import from
don't seem quite viable.  The closest one (I think) is the "Exchange
Personal Address Book" (it's the only one that has 'Exchange' in it although
there is a text file (comma separated value) option?).  The Express clients
are setup with a POP3 connection to the Exchange Server if that makes any
difference.

--
Cheers,

(remove xxx's to email)
"I use to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out"
 - Steven Wright

Address book question, express style

Post by Tobias Ostensso » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'd recommend using LDAP and the Windows Address Book to check names. I'd
also recommend IMAP over POP3!!!

Regards,
Tobias

>I'm using Outlook Express v.4.72 over a WAN to retrieve mail from my
>Exchange 5.5 server.  I'm in need of an address book and when trying to
>'File' - 'Import' - 'Address Book' the formats that show up to import from
>don't seem quite viable.  The closest one (I think) is the "Exchange
>Personal Address Book" (it's the only one that has 'Exchange' in it
although
>there is a text file (comma separated value) option?).  The Express clients
>are setup with a POP3 connection to the Exchange Server if that makes any
>difference.

>--
>Cheers,

>(remove xxx's to email)
>"I use to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out"
> - Steven Wright

Address book question, express style

Post by inquiring mind » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Tobias,

You're gonna hate me for this but I've got to ask why IMAP over POP3? (how
can I tell if my Exchange 5.5 server is using/running IMAP? and
unfortunately no, there is no admin for our Exchange, I'm figuring it out as
I go, so far so good till now :)  And then, if I select any of the options
for importing an address (LDAP included) I'm prompted to find that file.  I
don't know how  (or where from) to manually export an address book in order
to create the file for importing it? (Can ya tell I'm a bit new at this?).
I've done my share of looking at Microsoft's site but as you probably know,
often times when you get to multiple specifics it's hard to find the KB
article w/ the appropriate answer (no luck for me to date).

--
Cheers,

(remove xxx's to email)
"I use to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out"
 - Steven Wright

>Hi,

>I'd recommend using LDAP and the Windows Address Book to check names. I'd
>also recommend IMAP over POP3!!!

>Regards,
>Tobias

>>I'm using Outlook Express v.4.72 over a WAN to retrieve mail from my
>>Exchange 5.5 server.  I'm in need of an address book and when trying to
>>'File' - 'Import' - 'Address Book' the formats that show up to import from
>>don't seem quite viable.  The closest one (I think) is the "Exchange
>>Personal Address Book" (it's the only one that has 'Exchange' in it
>although
>>there is a text file (comma separated value) option?).  The Express
clients
>>are setup with a POP3 connection to the Exchange Server if that makes any
>>difference.

>>--
>>Cheers,

>>(remove xxx's to email)
>>"I use to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out"
>> - Steven Wright

Address book question, express style

Post by Tobias Ostensso » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

IMAP has the advantage over POP3 that it doesn't actually download messages
from the Exchange Server, it actually reads the messages from the
Information Store, like standard Exchange client. It acutally works as
follows:

Once you connect to the Exchange Server using IMAP your client synchronizes
your local message store with the Exchange Server and downloads all message
HEADERS.

When you open a message it is actually downloaded to your client, but NOT
removed from the Exchange Server, just downloads for opening attachments and
such..

IMAP client thus works as a mirror of your Exchange Server mailbox

As for Windows Address Book and LDAP, you do NOT download/import an address
list, you search the Exchange GAL on-line via the LDAP protocol. From WAB
select tools, accounts and add your Exchange Server in the list. Choose to
check names against the server when asked.

All protocols (IMAP, POP and LDAP) are enabled/disabled under
Configuration|Protocols.

Good luck
Tobias

>Tobias,

>You're gonna hate me for this but I've got to ask why IMAP over POP3? (how
>can I tell if my Exchange 5.5 server is using/running IMAP? and
>unfortunately no, there is no admin for our Exchange, I'm figuring it out
as
>I go, so far so good till now :)  And then, if I select any of the options
>for importing an address (LDAP included) I'm prompted to find that file.  I
>don't know how  (or where from) to manually export an address book in order
>to create the file for importing it? (Can ya tell I'm a bit new at this?).
>I've done my share of looking at Microsoft's site but as you probably know,
>often times when you get to multiple specifics it's hard to find the KB
>article w/ the appropriate answer (no luck for me to date).

>--
>Cheers,

>(remove xxx's to email)
>"I use to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out"
> - Steven Wright

>>Hi,

>>I'd recommend using LDAP and the Windows Address Book to check names. I'd
>>also recommend IMAP over POP3!!!

>>Regards,
>>Tobias

>>>I'm using Outlook Express v.4.72 over a WAN to retrieve mail from my
>>>Exchange 5.5 server.  I'm in need of an address book and when trying to
>>>'File' - 'Import' - 'Address Book' the formats that show up to import
from
>>>don't seem quite viable.  The closest one (I think) is the "Exchange
>>>Personal Address Book" (it's the only one that has 'Exchange' in it
>>although
>>>there is a text file (comma separated value) option?).  The Express
>clients
>>>are setup with a POP3 connection to the Exchange Server if that makes any
>>>difference.

>>>--
>>>Cheers,

>>>(remove xxx's to email)
>>>"I use to have an open mind, but my brains kept falling out"
>>> - Steven Wright

1. Exchange Global Address Book Question & Outlook Express

We have Exchange 5.5 with Outlook 2002 Clients internally.  I want to export
out address book to external users who use Outlook Express with POP access.
Is there a easy way to convert the Exchange Address book to Outlook Express
Format?

I tried saving all names in the Global Address Book to my Contacts folder
and then use the Address Import Tool in Express, but I keep getting the
error message, "The Windows Address Book is currently unable to perform this
import.  Make sure you have a Personal Address Book set up in Outlook and
that is is set as your current personal addresss book."  I can't find a way
to do make it my "current" personal address book.  I set up a Personal
Folders PST, then added the names from the Global Address Book to the
Contacts folder in the PST and still no go.

Another method I tried was to save the contacts to a PST file, then have my
external users work with Outlook 2002 and import the Contact PST, but the
addresses were in the wrong formal (ie., /0=domainname,

Any help would greatly appreciated.

--
Regards,

Eric

2. How can I set default font for reading message?

3. CdoPR_EMAIL_ADDRESS displays LDAP style address ! smtp address

4. Move from one NT-domain to another

5. Outlook Express to Exchange Address Book Transfer

6. exchange 2000 adc /schemaonly failure

7. Outlook Express Personal Address Book Export Error

8. Exchange 4.0, 5.0, 5.5

9. No address book listed in outlook express

10. Protect Outlook Express Address Book

11. offline address book / outlook express

12. Import Global address book to Outlook Express

13. Exchange 5.5, Outlook Express, and Address Book