Backup problem with Backup Exec 8.5 and Exchange 2000

Backup problem with Backup Exec 8.5 and Exchange 2000

Post by Jonas Larsso » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 01:11:06

I have Backup Exec 8.5
I have Exchange 2000
I have an Exchange option and have installed it on the mail server.

When I look at the backup job on the backup server do it have an Exchange
tab.
It has this setting:
Server options: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs).

I choose the selection tab and browse to my mail server.
There I have "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes"
When I click on this one does it ask for an Unique Exchange Mailbox name
that belongs to the Backup Exec Service Account.
I can there put in a Mailbox name

What exactly does this one want?

I have tried adding an account, created a mailbox for it, added it to Backup
and administrations groups, used this account for Backup agent service
etc...

But when I put in a Mailbox name does it just say: "Backup Exec could not
attach to this Exchange server"

The Exchange option that we have did we buy  to our Exchange 5.5 server, Do
I have to buy a new Exchange option for Exchange 2000?
It works fine to install this Option anyway.

Do the Backup server have to be a member of the same AD as the Exchange 2000
server is?

Please help me, I want to make an working backup of my Exchange 2000 server.

Best Regards
Jonas Larsson

Backup problem with Backup Exec 8.5 and Exchange 2000

Post by John Oliver, Jr. [MVP » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 01:23:07

Need to purchase the BE Exchange 2000 Agent and yes the Backup Server must
be in the same AD as your Exchange 2000 server.  You must also install the
Exchange System Manager on the Backup Server.

Quote:> I have Backup Exec 8.5
> I have Exchange 2000
> I have an Exchange option and have installed it on the mail server.

> When I look at the backup job on the backup server do it have an Exchange
> tab.
> It has this setting:
> Server options: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs).

> I choose the selection tab and browse to my mail server.
> There I have "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes"
> When I click on this one does it ask for an Unique Exchange Mailbox name
> that belongs to the Backup Exec Service Account.
> I can there put in a Mailbox name

> What exactly does this one want?

> I have tried adding an account, created a mailbox for it, added it to
Backup
> and administrations groups, used this account for Backup agent service
> etc...

> But when I put in a Mailbox name does it just say: "Backup Exec could not
> attach to this Exchange server"

> The Exchange option that we have did we buy  to our Exchange 5.5 server,
Do
> I have to buy a new Exchange option for Exchange 2000?
> It works fine to install this Option anyway.

> Do the Backup server have to be a member of the same AD as the Exchange
2000
> server is?

> Please help me, I want to make an working backup of my Exchange 2000
server.

> Best Regards
> Jonas Larsson

Backup problem with Backup Exec 8.5 and Exchange 2000

Post by Carlo » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 01:46:12

It seems like u already have the exchange agents since you can see the IS
via backup exec software. Associate an account to run the backup exec
services: go to services> backup exec services: the log account could be the
local administrator or domain account. I use domain account.

> Need to purchase the BE Exchange 2000 Agent and yes the Backup Server must
> be in the same AD as your Exchange 2000 server.  You must also install the
> Exchange System Manager on the Backup Server.

> > I have Backup Exec 8.5
> > I have Exchange 2000
> > I have an Exchange option and have installed it on the mail server.

> > When I look at the backup job on the backup server do it have an
Exchange
> > tab.
> > It has this setting:
> > Server options: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs).

> > I choose the selection tab and browse to my mail server.
> > There I have "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes"
> > When I click on this one does it ask for an Unique Exchange Mailbox name
> > that belongs to the Backup Exec Service Account.
> > I can there put in a Mailbox name

> > What exactly does this one want?

> > I have tried adding an account, created a mailbox for it, added it to
> Backup
> > and administrations groups, used this account for Backup agent service
> > etc...

> > But when I put in a Mailbox name does it just say: "Backup Exec could
not
> > attach to this Exchange server"

> > The Exchange option that we have did we buy  to our Exchange 5.5 server,
> Do
> > I have to buy a new Exchange option for Exchange 2000?
> > It works fine to install this Option anyway.

> > Do the Backup server have to be a member of the same AD as the Exchange
> 2000
> > server is?

> > Please help me, I want to make an working backup of my Exchange 2000
> server.

> > Best Regards
> > Jonas Larsson

Backup problem with Backup Exec 8.5 and Exchange 2000

Post by Kent » Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:31:59

Jonas,

There is an known issues with veritas backup exec8.5,
about how 8.5 access information store, even with service
account you can't access any of the backed up mailboxes.
To resolve this issues call Veritas tech support, and ask
for 8.6 upgrade, actually they should give you for free
since it's know issues to them. They will make you
uninstall 8.5 and install 8.6, just be prepared.

--Kent

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>It seems like u already have the exchange agents since
you can see the IS
>via backup exec software. Associate an account to run the
backup exec
>services: go to services> backup exec services: the log

account could be the
>local administrator or domain account. I use domain
account.

in message

>> Need to purchase the BE Exchange 2000 Agent and yes the
Backup Server must
>> be in the same AD as your Exchange 2000 server.  You

must also install the
>> Exchange System Manager on the Backup Server.

>> > I have Backup Exec 8.5
>> > I have Exchange 2000
>> > I have an Exchange option and have installed it on
the mail server.

>> > When I look at the backup job on the backup server do
it have an
>Exchange
>> > tab.
>> > It has this setting:
>> > Server options: Full - Database & Logs (flush
committed logs).

>> > I choose the selection tab and browse to my mail
server.
>> > There I have "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes"
>> > When I click on this one does it ask for an Unique

Exchange Mailbox name
Quote:>> > that belongs to the Backup Exec Service Account.
>> > I can there put in a Mailbox name

>> > What exactly does this one want?

>> > I have tried adding an account, created a mailbox for
it, added it to
>> Backup
>> > and administrations groups, used this account for

Backup agent service
Quote:>> > etc...

>> > But when I put in a Mailbox name does it just

say: "Backup Exec could
Quote:>not
>> > attach to this Exchange server"

>> > The Exchange option that we have did we buy  to our

Exchange 5.5 server,

Quote:>> Do
>> > I have to buy a new Exchange option for Exchange 2000?
>> > It works fine to install this Option anyway.

>> > Do the Backup server have to be a member of the same
AD as the Exchange
>> 2000
>> > server is?

>> > Please help me, I want to make an working backup of
my Exchange 2000
>> server.

>> > Best Regards
>> > Jonas Larsson

>.

Backup problem with Backup Exec 8.5 and Exchange 2000

Post by Jonathan » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:46:01

You also need to log into the backup server using the
account you set up for backup exec. you must also set up
a mapi account in outlook ect. on the backup server in
order for communication to be sucessfull for mailbox
selection. once you do this and are logged in as the
veritas account you should no longer be prompted for a
username / account when clicking on mailboxes in
selections screen. I has same prob when I first had set
up my E2k backup. there another post in this folder that
say this better than my poor english.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have Backup Exec 8.5
>I have Exchange 2000
>I have an Exchange option and have installed it on the
mail server.

>When I look at the backup job on the backup server do it
have an Exchange
>tab.
>It has this setting:
>Server options: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed
logs).

>I choose the selection tab and browse to my mail server.
>There I have "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes"
>When I click on this one does it ask for an Unique

Exchange Mailbox name
Quote:>that belongs to the Backup Exec Service Account.
>I can there put in a Mailbox name

>What exactly does this one want?

>I have tried adding an account, created a mailbox for

it, added it to Backup
Quote:>and administrations groups, used this account for Backup
agent service
>etc...

>But when I put in a Mailbox name does it just

say: "Backup Exec could not
Quote:>attach to this Exchange server"

>The Exchange option that we have did we buy  to our

Exchange 5.5 server, Do
Quote:>I have to buy a new Exchange option for Exchange 2000?
>It works fine to install this Option anyway.

>Do the Backup server have to be a member of the same AD

as the Exchange 2000
Quote:>server is?

>Please help me, I want to make an working backup of my

Exchange 2000 server.

Quote:

Post by Jonathan » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:45:56

You also need to log into the backup server using the
account you set up for backup exec. you must also set up
a mapi account in outlook ect. on the backup server in
order for communication to be sucessfull for mailbox
selection. once you do this and are logged in as the
veritas account you should no longer be prompted for a
username / account when clicking on mailboxes in
selections screen. I has same prob when I first had set
up my E2k backup. there another post in this folder that
say this better than my poor english.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have Backup Exec 8.5
>I have Exchange 2000
>I have an Exchange option and have installed it on the
mail server.

>When I look at the backup job on the backup server do it
have an Exchange
>tab.
>It has this setting:
>Server options: Full - Database & Logs (flush committed
logs).

>I choose the selection tab and browse to my mail server.
>There I have "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes"
>When I click on this one does it ask for an Unique

Exchange Mailbox name
Quote:>that belongs to the Backup Exec Service Account.
>I can there put in a Mailbox name

>What exactly does this one want?

>I have tried adding an account, created a mailbox for

it, added it to Backup
Quote:>and administrations groups, used this account for Backup
agent service
>etc...

>But when I put in a Mailbox name does it just

say: "Backup Exec could not
Quote:>attach to this Exchange server"

>The Exchange option that we have did we buy  to our

Exchange 5.5 server, Do
Quote:>I have to buy a new Exchange option for Exchange 2000?
>It works fine to install this Option anyway.

>Do the Backup server have to be a member of the same AD

as the Exchange 2000
Quote:>server is?

>Please help me, I want to make an working backup of my

Exchange 2000 server.

Quote:

>Best Regards
>Jonas Larsson

>.

1. Backup Exec 8.5 unable to backup Exchange Mailbox Store

I have a strange problem backing up the mailbox store on our Exchange
2000.

Backup Exec 8.5 keeps telling me that the Mailbox Store is a corrupt
file, and that the file cannot be verified.

I am running Backup Exec 8.5 for NT/Win2000 rev. 3572. The BE 8.5
services runs on our File and Print Server (FAPDKCO001). We have also
applied hotfix 238549 to BE 8.5 in order to solve a remote backup
problem. Exchange 2000 is executed on to separate servers, a back-end
(EXCDKCO01) and a front-end (EXCDKCO02). The BE Remote Backup agent is
installed on each of the Exchange servers and the BE Exchange Agent is
installed on the backup server (as instructed in the BE 8.5 manual).

I have also created a special Domain Admin account (incl. a Exchange
Mailbox) for BE 8.5. I have installed an Outlook client on the backup
server and made sure that the profile corresponds to the login of the
BE 8.5 Server Service. BE 8.5 is well capable of sending IMAP4
messages and it is also able to log into Exchange Mailboxes when I
select the entries for the backup job.

Everything works fine, except the backup of the Exchange Mailstore.
Below is a copy of the problem section of the BE log file:

Performing Remote Agent backup

Media Name: "Media created 16-10-2001 21:00:06 "
Backup of "\\EXCDKCO01\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group
"
Backup set #3 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "Alt inkl. Exchange Data"
Backup Type: COPY - Databases & Logs
Backup started on 17-10-2001 at 00:58:15 .
WARNING: "Mailbox Store (EXCDKCO01)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Log files

Backup completed on 17-10-2001 at 01:04:06 .
Backed up 2 Exchange Server store(s)
Backed up Exchange Server logs
1 corrupt file was backed up
Processed 845.054.576 bytes in  5 minutes and  51 seconds.
Throughput rate: 137,8 MB/min

Any ideas of what might be wrong?

Thanks

JSE

2. Message transfer times

3. Individual Mailbox backups with Backup Exec 8.5

4. What AVAPI

5. Exchange 2000 & Backup Exec 8.5

6. Can I restrict the sending of attachments

7. Exchange 5.5 & backup exec 8.5 problem

8. smtp server sends noop not ehlo or helo

9. Arcserve 2000 vs Backup Exec 8.5 vs ??

10. restore 5.5 exchange mailbox with backup exec 8.5

11. Backup Exec v 8.0 upgrade to v 8.5

12. Backup Ex2K from Windows 2000 Professional Workstation with Veritas 8.5 with Exchange Agent

13. Problem backup Exchange 5.5 With Backup Exec 8.6