Moving Exchange server to new site + new domain [HELP]

Moving Exchange server to new site + new domain [HELP]

Post by Chris Scharf » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

On Wed, 24 May 2000 16:54:07 +0200,  "Kees A. van Beek"

>The Situation:
>- We have 2 domains, say Domain1 and Domain2.
>- We have 1 Exchange 5.5 server which is PDC for Domain1.

>The object:
>- We want to move all existing users and mailboxes to a new site in the
>other domain and on a new server.

>We've tried working with the "exchange move server wizard", but that only
>gave some ridiculous errors.

And those errors were?

Quote:>Has anyone got a proposal/suggestion???

Solve the errors reported using the move server wizard and try again?

--
Chris Scharff, MVP-Exchange
Senior Systems Consultant

Exchange FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Post by Kees A. van Bee » Thu, 25 May 2000 04:00:00

The Situation:
- We have 2 domains, say Domain1 and Domain2.
- We have 1 Exchange 5.5 server which is PDC for Domain1.

The object:
- We want to move all existing users and mailboxes to a new site in the
other domain and on a new server.

We've tried working with the "exchange move server wizard", but that only
gave some ridiculous errors.

Has anyone got a proposal/suggestion???

Thanx in advance,

Kees A. van Beek
Synecon ICT

Moving Exchange server to new site + new domain [HELP]

Post by Eric Vegte » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

if you want to move the server to a new domain, you have to know that the
most important account in an exchange environment, is the SA Account.
What you must do then is follow the Article ID: Q151777. This article
explains how to give the new System Attendant the correct rights on exchange
server(s): The services, the Org.-, Site- and Conf. containers and last but
not least, the NT-Security-Descriptor which can be found if you start the
ADMIN.EXE /R (RAW mode).

goodluck.
Eric

> The Situation:
> - We have 2 domains, say Domain1 and Domain2.
> - We have 1 Exchange 5.5 server which is PDC for Domain1.

> The object:
> - We want to move all existing users and mailboxes to a new site in the
> other domain and on a new server.

> We've tried working with the "exchange move server wizard", but that only
> gave some ridiculous errors.

> Has anyone got a proposal/suggestion???

> Thanx in advance,

> Kees A. van Beek
> Synecon ICT

Moving Exchange server to new site + new domain [HELP]

Post by Pete » Fri, 26 May 2000 04:00:00

If I am correct you can not use the move wizard if want to move users from domain1 to domain2, the wizad works only if the exchange
server are in the same Exchange site.

One option is to export all user mail to a pst file (for every user) and import them in the new server.

Second option is to copy the Echange database to the new server.

In the Knowledgebase are a lot of articles about this.

Q152960 Q152959 Q162012 Q152959 Q155216  a few articles

Peter

> The Situation:
> - We have 2 domains, say Domain1 and Domain2.
> - We have 1 Exchange 5.5 server which is PDC for Domain1.

> The object:
> - We want to move all existing users and mailboxes to a new site in the
> other domain and on a new server.

> We've tried working with the "exchange move server wizard", but that only
> gave some ridiculous errors.

> Has anyone got a proposal/suggestion???

> Thanx in advance,

> Kees A. van Beek
> Synecon ICT

1. Moving Exchange to New Server, New Domain, New Site

I am consolidating three NT domains to one domain.  Before I arrived, things
were not standardized or even really setup properly (even the Exchange
server has a mispelled name "Exhange1" - no "c").  I have reduced us down to
one domain, but still need to move all the users' mailboxes off of the old
exchange server to a new server in the new domain.  I have not been able to
find any good references as to how to get all of the users' old email off
the old one to the new one.  The only solution I have come up with is going
to each user's desktop, adding a personal folder, switching profiles for the
new server, and then uploading the contents of the personal folder.  I would
really hate to have to do that since we have alot of users.  I already tried
using "alternate recipient", but I couldn't get it to work properly.  If
someone has done this before, please help me!

Thanks,
Brian R. Lawton

2. notification of undeliverable email messages?

3. After Server move to new Site - Server shows in old and new site

4. Outlook clients hang up

5. Slow Performance after moving to a new site and moving to a new server

6. Vanishing Messages

7. Moving mailboxes from an old server to a new server in a new site

8. Outbox

9. Moving clients to a new Exchange server in a new site

10. Need info on moving Exchange Server 5.5 to new domain as well as on new hardware

11. Moving clients to new Exchanger server in new site

12. moving mailboxes to new server in a new site

13. moving logon and mailbox to a new server in a new site