Clients cannot change NT password

Post by Scott Bueffe » Sat, 10 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Get the following error:

The NT Domain password could not be changed.  A required action was not
successful due to an unspecified error.

That's cryptic.  Anyway,  the clients are on OL97 or OL98.  They are NOT
authenticating to a domain first.  Authentication only occurs for email.
When they try to change their domain password under Tools->Options they get
this error.  It doesn't matter which OS either.  Seen it on both NT and 9x.
Happens to everybody.  The MS article Q194200 has this error, but for a
different reason.  I tried the solution anyway, but trying against a DC with
SP4 made no difference.  Help!  Thank you very much.  Scott.

Clients cannot change NT password

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Mon, 12 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Refer to FAQ version 0.3 posted by Andy Webb yesterday.

> Get the following error:

> The NT Domain password could not be changed.  A required action was not
> successful due to an unspecified error.

> That's cryptic.  Anyway,  the clients are on OL97 or OL98.  They are NOT
> authenticating to a domain first.  Authentication only occurs for email.
> When they try to change their domain password under Tools->Options they get
> this error.  It doesn't matter which OS either.  Seen it on both NT and 9x.
> Happens to everybody.  The MS article Q194200 has this error, but for a
> different reason.  I tried the solution anyway, but trying against a DC with
> SP4 made no difference.  Help!  Thank you very much.  Scott.

1. Cannot change NT password from Exchange client

Hi Jerry

try to set the following registry keys (on the exchange server):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
        System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa
                TCPIPClientSupport:REG_DWORD:0x1
                NetWareClientSupport:REG_DWORD:0x1
                MACClientSupport:REG_DWORD:0x1
Ralf Innerkofler

2. Does Exchange Do CC:Mail

3. Extract data from an mdb file with event script.

4. insufficent_access_rights

5. Macintosh clients cannot change passwords using outlook client

6. Removing mail server from site

7. Cannot change Exchange / NT ID password

8. Exchange/NT/Outlook - Cannot change password

9. Still cannot change NT password

10. Cannot change NT password from Outlook for Exchange

11. Windows NT Password cannot be changed in Outlook 98