Web mail access troubles

Post by Exchange novic » Wed, 12 Nov 2003 22:37:16

Hello All

I'm having a problem with my web mail. I'm the new Admin.
at a company and the end users are telling me it used to
work, but now doesn't.

Basically I type in the ""http\\IP Address/exchange"" and
get a page cannot be found message.

Iv checked all the Internet mail options on the exchange
server, and they seem to be in order, but it just won't
connect. I can ping the IP from inside the building, but
not outside the network, so im thinking firewall issues.

Its Exchange 5.5 SP4 running on Server 2000 SP3

Thanx Peeps

Web mail access troubles

Post by John » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:05:25

how is the owa server configured?  Does it have public IP address?  Are you
using some vpn client?  so it does't work on the local network either?

Quote:> Hello All

> I'm having a problem with my web mail. I'm the new Admin.
> at a company and the end users are telling me it used to
> work, but now doesn't.

> Basically I type in the ""http\\IP Address/exchange"" and
> get a page cannot be found message.

> Iv checked all the Internet mail options on the exchange
> server, and they seem to be in order, but it just won't
> connect. I can ping the IP from inside the building, but
> not outside the network, so im thinking firewall issues.

> Its Exchange 5.5 SP4 running on Server 2000 SP3

> Thanx Peeps

Web mail access troubles

Post by Exchange Novic » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:46:41

Hi John

I don't see any location to configure an OWA server???
Where should i look?

The IP is provided by our ISP, so im guessing its public.

I don't think anyone here is using a VPN. The instruction
I received concerning this Web Mail is pretty basic, and
consistent with instruction iv seen in the past regarding
web mail.

Even when im inside the network, sitting on the same hub
as the server it doesn't work.

Any Ideas??

        Thanx

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>how is the owa server configured?  Does it have public

IP address?  Are you
>using some vpn client?  so it does't work on the local
network either?

>> Hello All

>> I'm having a problem with my web mail. I'm the new
Admin.
>> at a company and the end users are telling me it used
>> work, but now doesn't.

>> Basically I type in the ""http\\IP Address/exchange""
and
>> get a page cannot be found message.

>> Iv checked all the Internet mail options on the
exchange
>> server, and they seem to be in order, but it just won't
>> connect. I can ping the IP from inside the building,
but
>> not outside the network, so im thinking firewall
issues.

>> Its Exchange 5.5 SP4 running on Server 2000 SP3

>> Thanx Peeps

>.

Web mail access troubles

Post by John » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 02:06:52

maybe you need https: ??
check in admintools, IIS admin, you can see what the web page is called and
if the directory security requires https
so the server is in the private network with a public address?  How should
internet access work to that box?

> Hi John

> I don't see any location to configure an OWA server???
> Where should i look?

> The IP is provided by our ISP, so im guessing its public.

> I don't think anyone here is using a VPN. The instruction
> I received concerning this Web Mail is pretty basic, and
> consistent with instruction iv seen in the past regarding
> web mail.

> Even when im inside the network, sitting on the same hub
> as the server it doesn't work.

> Any Ideas??

> Thanx

Web mail access troubles

Post by Exchange Novic » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:29:31

No luck with the https:\\ and we don't have IIS loaded on
this box, or at least I don't see any icons to access it.
Iv worked with IIS on NT machines, so I can't imagine it
would be that much different on 2000.
I don't think you need IIS when using the IP address do
you?

Our firewall should redirect the IP/exchange to the
192.168 exchange server address.
I don't have access to the firewall just yet. Ill have to
find the password.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>maybe you need https: ??
>check in admintools, IIS admin, you can see what the web
page is called and
>if the directory security requires https
>so the server is in the private network with a public

address?  How should
>internet access work to that box?

>> Hi John

>> I don't see any location to configure an OWA server???
>> Where should i look?

>> The IP is provided by our ISP, so im guessing its
public.

>> I don't think anyone here is using a VPN. The
instruction
>> I received concerning this Web Mail is pretty basic,
and
>> consistent with instruction iv seen in the past
regarding
>> web mail.

>> Even when im inside the network, sitting on the same
hub
>> as the server it doesn't work.

>> Any Ideas??

>> Thanx

Web mail access troubles

Post by John » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 03:57:59

can you access owa with the 192.168 address?  If not I'd say something is
wrong with that server.  I'm not familiar with 5.5 owa but I'd think that
2000 server needs to run IIS to host it.  Maybe it runs on another server?
This service is called iis admin
The IIS admin console is called Internet Services Manager, and should be in
admin tools

oh, also try http:\\exchange server address\exchange\userid  also try https

> No luck with the https:\\ and we don't have IIS loaded on
> this box, or at least I don't see any icons to access it.
> Iv worked with IIS on NT machines, so I can't imagine it
> would be that much different on 2000.
> I don't think you need IIS when using the IP address do
> you?

> Our firewall should redirect the IP/exchange to the
> 192.168 exchange server address.
> I don't have access to the firewall just yet. Ill have to
> find the password.

Web mail access troubles

Post by Exchange Novic » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:05:15

I think you're right, something is wrong with this
Exchange Server. I looked for the IIS Admin in the
services window, and that service is not running, or
displayed. Guess it's not loaded.

This Server is it, everything. The only server here other
than a SQL Server that's proprietarily SQL.

Ok, I looked again in the Admin. Tools just to make sure
and we definitely don't have the Internet Services
Manager.

Thanx for all the great idea John. I'm going to try and
get a hold of the last person that worked here to see if
I can get any advice. Wish me luck.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>can you access owa with the 192.168 address?  If not I'd
say something is
>wrong with that server.  I'm not familiar with 5.5 owa
but I'd think that
>2000 server needs to run IIS to host it.  Maybe it runs
on another server?
>This service is called iis admin
>The IIS admin console is called Internet Services

Manager, and should be in
Quote:>admin tools

>oh, also try http:\\exchange server

address\exchange\userid  also try https

>> No luck with the https:\\ and we don't have IIS loaded
on
>> this box, or at least I don't see any icons to access
it.
>> Iv worked with IIS on NT machines, so I can't imagine
it
>> would be that much different on 2000.
>> I don't think you need IIS when using the IP address do
>> you?

>> Our firewall should redirect the IP/exchange to the
>> 192.168 exchange server address.
>> I don't have access to the firewall just yet. Ill have
>> find the password.

Web mail access troubles

Post by John » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:13:49

yea good luck
maybe they used the full outlook client over the internet?? and not OWA??

> I think you're right, something is wrong with this
> Exchange Server. I looked for the IIS Admin in the
> services window, and that service is not running, or
> displayed. Guess it's not loaded.

> This Server is it, everything. The only server here other
> than a SQL Server that's proprietarily SQL.

> Ok, I looked again in the Admin. Tools just to make sure
> and we definitely don't have the Internet Services
> Manager.

> Thanx for all the great idea John. I'm going to try and
> get a hold of the last person that worked here to see if
> I can get any advice. Wish me luck.

1. trouble with Outlook Web Access (m)

user is trying to access her inbox via OWA.  She can log in fine and
view her inbox, but when she clicks on a message (or double-clicks),
nothing happens.  Task manager shows IE as running, but if she tries
to end task, Windows says the program is not responding.

She has a brand-new pc running WindowsXP, so I know it's not a RAM or
other hardware issue.  She is connected to the internet via cable
modem, so I know it's not a case of slow data xfer rate either.  We
have MS Exchange 5.5 sp4

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
causemaker

2. OWA authentication problem Exchange 2000

3. Trouble about Outlook Web Access.

4. Permissions on inbox

5. Web Access troubles

6. No outgoing mail

7. Outlook Web Access - Trouble Connecting

8. How to setup Meeting Resources....

9. outlook web access internet trouble

10. Troubles with Oulook Web Access

11. Outlook Web Access troubles

12. Trouble with installing Outlook Web Access for Exchange on W2K Server