Key Management Server, Certificate Server and the Exchange Server Policy module

Key Management Server, Certificate Server and the Exchange Server Policy module

Post by John Saylo » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I'm trying to set up a decent PKI at my organization using Microsoft's tools
and I've run into a roadblock. When I'm installing the requisite software
for the Exchange KM server I keep reading about making sure that the
Microsoft Exchange Server policy module is installed in the Certificate
Server.

Now the Certificate Server is installed OK- I can generate certificates with
it just fine. When I install the KM server on exchange I keep waiting for it
to ask me about the CA [at which point I'll direct it to Certificate
Server], but it never happens.

The KM also installs, but I don't think it has anything to do with the
Certificate Server CA. The CA is called "CA" and not "OrganizationCA". So I
think I'm just duplicating infrastructure here when I'd really like to use
just 1 CA for the entire PKI.

In the public certificates directory there is a file called
MACHINE_OrganizationCA_Exchange.crt [names have been made generic]. It seems
a lot like the MACHINE_OrganizationCA.crt file that I used to initialize the
root authority. But whenever I try to use it I get an invalid certificate
notice. Is this the certificate I should use as the root Certificate for my
Organization?

I've searched everything I can think of for some clue on where to find this
module and come up empty handed.

Has anyone done this and made it work? Any help appreciated.

\jsaylor

1. Key Management Server, Certificate Server and Outlook Express

Here's the scenario:

i have installed KMS and Certificate Server.  Outlook 98 users can send and
sign email no problem.  Problem is, I need to be able to use Outlook Express
5.0 to do the same.  They also need to send encrypted and signed mail to
Outlook98 users.  Political reasons as to why I need to use Outlook express
instead of Outlook 98 as POP3/SMTP.  Any Ideas on how to do this?  Is it
possible?  I have installed the fix for certificate server and the s/mime
fix for Outlook 98.

Thanks!

2. localization

3. Key Management Server, Certificate Server and Exchange Policy Module???

4. Custom Appointment problem

5. Audit Logs

6. exchange on different subnet..help!

7. Problem with Key Management and Certificate Server

8. Key Management: connect to Certificate Server fails.

9. Exchange Server 5.0 Key Management Server

10. Certificate Server & Key Managment Server Software