Priv.edb has gotten too big for allocated space on drive

Priv.edb has gotten too big for allocated space on drive

Post by Randy H. Erskin » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Unknowingly, Journal in MS Office97 was turned on to track all
applications.  As a result, the file has grown to 878MB.
The space allocated for Priv.edb on hard drive is 1GB. Journal has been
turned off and items deleted from user mailboxes.
Priv.edb is too big use EDBUTIL to defrag.
What to do?
--
Randy H. Erskine
Information Systems Manager

Priv.edb has gotten too big for allocated space on drive

Post by Ray Sundstro » Thu, 30 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Randy,

About the only practical approach is to aquire another drive of 1GB or
larger, install it on the server, and use the EDBUTIL arguements that will
allow the workfiles to be created on this new volume.  For details type
EDBUTIL /? from the command prompt.

Good luck,
--
Ray Sundstrom
MCSE, Exchange MVP

Post by Kevin Aylwa » Fri, 01 May 1998 04:00:00

> Unknowingly, Journal in MS Office97 was turned on to track all
> applications.  As a result, the file has grown to 878MB.
> The space allocated for Priv.edb on hard drive is 1GB. Journal has been
> turned off and items deleted from user mailboxes.
> Priv.edb is too big use EDBUTIL to defrag.
> What to do?
> --
> Randy H. Erskine
> Information Systems Manager
> SC Public Service Commission

You got a bigger problem.  You don't indicate how many users are on this
server, but my guess is that this will start happening over and over. You
have two choices:

A) Get a new disk, run Performance Optimizer, let is move the PRIV.EDB to
the new empty disk drive.  If it doesn't propose to move it there, you
can make it do so by changing the drive letter on the screen that shows
the recommended changes.

B) You can add a new disk or use free unformatted space on another disk
and use Disk Administrator to extend a volume set.  Make the new disk an
extension of the*(which must be a NTFS volume) by selecting the
volume with PRIV.EDB on it and then pressing CTRL while selecting one or
more areas of free space.  On the Partition Menu click Extend Volume Set,
then OK.  Your changes will not be saved until you click on Commit
Changes Now or quit Disk Administrator.  You do not get any fault
tolerance in this arrangement.

My recommendation:  Choose option A every time.

Kevin Aylward                 MCSE,CNE,MCP

Director of Information Technologies
Enterprise Integration Corporation (EIC)

Read the Exchange Admin FAQ at http://www.veryComputer.com/;
written by Amiri Jones.

1. Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Hi,

I am having a hard time of managing the Priv.edb file. I know it contains
all the  users mail. However, it is getting bigger and bigger which may use
up all the space. So, I am thinking is there any harmless way of  reducing
the size of  the file.

All my clients are using MS Outlook to read their message. I am wondering if
my concept about the
storage on the exchange server is right, please correct me if I am wrong.

If a user delete their mail on the Outlook, is it directly delete mail on
their mailbox on the Exchange
Server, however, the Exchange have a function "Delete Item Retention time"
which will permanent delete the
"Deleted mail from the user"???

Also, if the user want to have a copy of their mail, they have to use
"Import/Export" function under the
File menu to get a snap shot of their email. Is that right?

If I stop the exchange service and rename the old Priv.edb file. Then when I
restart the service, a new
Priv.edb will automatically be generated. So, I still have a copy of all the
old email and have a new
Priv.edb which I will also put storage and Send/Receive limits on it for
avoiding the same
problem occur. Is it possible for me to do this way???

If I set a limit on Send/Receive and Storage on each mailbox, so when users
reach their limit, they simply delete old mail will give let them
send/receive mail again???

I am working in a software house, my clients need to attach program and send
it to their client. So, the
size of the Priv.edb is growing fast.

thank you for any advices!!

Edith

2. how to copy a user's mailbox to a new user's mailbox???

3. Run EseUtil Across the Network when Priv.edb Gets Too big

4. Trouble installing Exchange 5.5

5. priv.edb getting too big too fast

6. Backing up PRIV.EDB and PUB.EDB

7. reclaim space in edb, edb is 1.9 on 2Gb drive

8. Backup summaries

9. recover disk space by compacting the Priv.edb or Public.edb file

10. adding new drive to RAID5 array containing PRIV.EDB and PUB.EDB

11. Priv.edb too big!!!

12. Priv.edb too big!

13. My priv.edb is anormally big