Multiple SMTP address templates - in site addressing

Multiple SMTP address templates - in site addressing

Post by Fred D. Brow » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Greg,

I've tried do it by export/import but putting two "STMP" addresses in the
"Email Addresses" field causes the import to fail. Is there a different
field/column that I should be putting the alternate addresses in? The
"Email Addresses" field can have several different Email address types (MS
Mail, X.400, SMTP, etc.) but only one of each type of address type.
Entering a second SMTP address type using the Admin GUI and then doing an
export (even using raw mode) only exports the default mail address for each
type.

I must be missing something obvious here but I can't see what it is.

Fred D. Brown
Digital Equipment of Canada Limited

> As far as I have ever heard and done.... can't do it automatically.  But
you
> can do it via import/export.  We just build the 2nd SMTP address when we
> build the mailbox.

> --
> Greg Taylor
> Networks

> >I would like to configure Exchange to automatically create multiple SMTP
> >addresses when creating a new mailbox.  Currently there are references
> >MSDN and the Exchange SDK; neither of which we have.

> >Any help/pointers in this area would be appreciated.
> >--
> >Fred D. Brown
> >Digital Equipment of Canada Limited

Multiple SMTP address templates - in site addressing

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I've tried do it by export/import but putting two "STMP" addresses in the
>"Email Addresses" field causes the import to fail. Is there a different
>field/column that I should be putting the alternate addresses in? The
>"Email Addresses" field can have several different Email address types (MS
>Mail, X.400, SMTP, etc.) but only one of each type of address type.
>Entering a second SMTP address type using the Admin GUI and then doing an
>export (even using raw mode) only exports the default mail address for each
>type.

>I must be missing something obvious here but I can't see what it is.

Yup, you are. The secondary addresses go in a field named
"Secondary-Proxy-Addresses". They should also be specified in lower
case (smtp: vs. SMTP:).

Check the Exchange Migration Guide (in the migrate\docs directory of
the Exchange Server CD). Look in Appendix D for a list (and brief
description) or the available attributes and properties of mailboxes,
DL's ad CR's.
Richard Matheisen                             Wang Laboratories
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Multiple SMTP address templates - in site addressing

Post by Wesley H. Peace [MVP » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Fred,

There are two options available to you.  The first can be used for new
installations.

1. The proxy that is used to generate the SMTP address is configured to
generate only a single SMTP address. The source is available in the Exchange
Server SDK and is customizable.  Modify this to replace the current proxy
and you will be able to generate both automatically.

2. You are correct; only a SINGLE e-mail Address field.  The correct field
is called "e-mail Addresses."  Add the second SMTP address to that field and
import them back into the Directory store.

--------------

Microsoft BackOffice/Exchange MVP
The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and
write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. -Alvin Toffler

>I would like to configure Exchange to automatically create multiple SMTP
>addresses when creating a new mailbox.  Currently there are references to
>MSDN and the Exchange SDK; neither of which we have.

>Any help/pointers in this area would be appreciated.
>--
>Fred D. Brown
>Digital Equipment of Canada Limited

Multiple SMTP address templates - in site addressing

Post by Fred D. Brow » Sat, 08 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Rich,

Thanks!
--
Fred D. Brown
Digital Equipment of Canada Limited

Multiple SMTP address templates - in site addressing

Post by Andy Web » Sun, 09 Nov 1997 04:00:00

I don't know of anyone who has rewritten the SMTP address generator to do
multiple addresses yet.  The stock answer is do it manually, or to do it in
bulk using "admin /i" and an appropriate import file.

Simpler-Webb, Inc.                           Austin, TX
             "Mauve has more RAM" - Dilbert

> I would like to configure Exchange to automatically create multiple SMTP
> addresses when creating a new mailbox.  Currently there are references to
> MSDN and the Exchange SDK; neither of which we have.

> Any help/pointers in this area would be appreciated.
> --
> Fred D. Brown
> Digital Equipment of Canada Limited

1. multiple smtp addresses in site addressing?

Is it possible to modify site addressing in such a way as to allow the
automatic generation of multiple SMTP addresses for each mailbox?  For
example, I would like to have each person furnished with two addresses...

BTW, Exchange 5.5 SP3

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you,

Greg Wilcox, MCSE CCNA

2. Adding a standard message on all outgoing mail

3. multiple smtp addresses in one site

4. E-mail Based Discussion Group Software

5. Multiple SMTP Addresses for Single Site

6. Licensing Errors

7. Multiple SMTP Addresses in one site

8. reply messages

9. Receiving Mail Addressed to Multiple SMTP Addresses

10. Setting default SMTP address on mailbox with multiple addresses

11. Receiving Mail Addressed to Multiple SMTP Addresses

12. Adding Multiple Users with Multiple SMTP Addresses