How do you imoprt ost files or pst files to Exchnmge server

How do you imoprt ost files or pst files to Exchnmge server

Post by <Z.. » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

we want to have ost or pst folders in synch with our Exchange Server,
so in case of a disaster (Exchange blows up) we can re-import the user data to
Exchange Server, or maybe even another Exchange server at different location
(home).
We had a very bad luck with our backup software (it skipped IS file because it
was in use) and now we want another method of protection besides improved backup
we got now.
How do you import ost files or pst files to Exchange server, or how do you synch
up those?
thanks
ZW

Post by Rich Matheis » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>we want to have ost or pst folders in synch with our Exchange Server,
>so in case of a disaster (Exchange blows up) we can re-import the user data to
>Exchange Server, or maybe even another Exchange server at different location
>(home).

The OST files are always in synch with the Exchange mailbox since they
are an extention of that mailbox. They are NOT a backup for the
mailbox. Nor are PST files which are client managed information
stores.

Quote:>We had a very bad luck with our backup software (it skipped IS file because it
>was in use) and now we want another method of protection besides improved backup
>we got now.

I think that you don't understand your backup software or you haven't
purchased an "Exchange agent" for it. The Exchange databases cannot be
backed up while they are open by a regular backup software. They can,
however, be backed up by software the deals with the Exchange System
Attendant.

Quote:>How do you import ost files or pst files to Exchange server, or how do you synch
>up those?

Find an Exchange aware backup software or use the NTBACKUP on the
Exchange server. It understands how to deal with the databases and log
files. Alternatively you can stop the Exchange services and perform a
file backup. This approach is NOT recommended because it does not
verify the integrity of the databases nor does it manage the log
files.

How do you imoprt ost files or pst files to Exchnmge server

Post by Danny St. Ong » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Rich is right on the money, but I thought I would add my 2 cents worth...
OST's should not be considered a true backup for an Exchange Failure.  The
primary reason for this arguement is simple.  The OST has a signature
embedded in the header of the file that matches with the mailbox. If you
have a true disaster, and heaven forbid you did not have a backup, there may
be an situation where you have to store with a new store.  If you do start
with a new store, you cannot synchronize the OST with the store.  If you
attempt to do so, you will corrupt the OST and the there is no way to
recover the data.

>we want to have ost or pst folders in synch with our Exchange Server,
>so in case of a disaster (Exchange blows up) we can re-import the user data
>Exchange Server, or maybe even another Exchange server at different
location
>(home).
>We had a very bad luck with our backup software (it skipped IS file because
it
>was in use) and now we want another method of protection besides improved
backup
>we got now.
>How do you import ost files or pst files to Exchange server, or how do you
synch
>up those?
>thanks
>ZW

How do you imoprt ost files or pst files to Exchnmge server

Post by Mark Durego » Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Since everyone is having their 2 cents worth, I might add this as I have had
this experience not long after I first installed Exchange here.  If you do
have to use the OST file as a means of restore, you should start Outlook
offline, export the OST file contents to a PST file and then export those
contents back into the new IS.

Really long way around the problem, but it does work.  Providing you start
Outlook offline and it never trys to authenticate to the new IS.

--
Mark Duregon
H&L Australia Pty Ltd

>Rich is right on the money, but I thought I would add my 2 cents worth...
>OST's should not be considered a true backup for an Exchange Failure.  The
>primary reason for this arguement is simple.  The OST has a signature
>embedded in the header of the file that matches with the mailbox. If you
>have a true disaster, and heaven forbid you did not have a backup, there
may
>be an situation where you have to store with a new store.  If you do start
>with a new store, you cannot synchronize the OST with the store.  If you
>attempt to do so, you will corrupt the OST and the there is no way to
>recover the data.

>>we want to have ost or pst folders in synch with our Exchange Server,
>>so in case of a disaster (Exchange blows up) we can re-import the user
data
>>Exchange Server, or maybe even another Exchange server at different
>location
>>(home).
>>We had a very bad luck with our backup software (it skipped IS file
because
>it
>>was in use) and now we want another method of protection besides improved
>backup
>>we got now.
>>How do you import ost files or pst files to Exchange server, or how do you
>synch
>>up those?
>>thanks
>>ZW

1. Sync with ost file versus PST files?

NT3.51(SP5) with MSX (SP3)

Please HELP....

1.  Is there a way to include all folders to be part of offline folder
sync without having to go into each individual folder property?  In
addition, can you automatically have the client sync every 30 mins?

2.  What solutions have you guys implemented out there as far as
mailbox/personal message storage?

My dilemma is this (on q2)
1.  If I let all the individual mailbox be store on the priv.edb, the
potential growth of this file can be 200 users x 10meg = 2gig.

2. If I implement pst files, I have no control of password on the
file, nor do I have size control on the file without the use of a
third party software.

3.  With the assumption that pst files are used, will I still need to
implement ost files to backup the messages sitting in the mailbox?

TIA for any advice...

Billy Ng

2. Stop incoming mail to a mailbox?

3. Convert OST file to a PST file

4. IS error 3355443765

5. Sync with ost file versus PST files?

6. OMA in E2k3

7. Converting a .OST File to .PST File

8. Notify sender for queued mail - doesn't work

9. Importing mails from .pst file to another .pst file

10. pst files vs. no pst files

11. Recover.OST files to .PST

12. OST to PST file conversion utility

13. compact .PST and .OST files