Changing first server in site/bridgehead

Changing first server in site/bridgehead

Post by Jon Merce » Wed, 14 Aug 2002 23:49:34

Within our exchange environment, one of our sites has
grown and grown, we have added several other servers to
cope with the growing number of mailboxes, but the
Bridgehead for this site is also the PDC for the domain. I
have been tasked with moving the current mailboxes from
the PDC onto the other site servers, and then moving the
bridgehead, and eventually removing exchange from the PDC,
and leaving that running as a dedicated PDC, with no other
apps running.

Can anyone else explain the process to move the bridgehead
etc..

BTW Exchange 5.5 SP4

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:26:11

>Within our exchange environment, one of our sites has
>grown and grown, we have added several other servers to
>cope with the growing number of mailboxes, but the
>Bridgehead for this site is also the PDC for the domain. I
>have been tasked with moving the current mailboxes from
>the PDC onto the other site servers, and then moving the
>bridgehead, and eventually removing exchange from the PDC,
>and leaving that running as a dedicated PDC, with no other
>apps running.

>Can anyone else explain the process to move the bridgehead
>etc..

What sort of bridgehead? If it's the DRC you only have to select
another server for each of the DRC's.

If it's a messaging bridgehead, the work may be different depending on
the type of connectors.

As for removing the server, it may be as simple as runing 'setup',
selecting "Remove" and then deleting the server from the site. But if
it was the first server installed in the site, follow this KB:

XADM: How to Remove the First Exchange Server in a Site [Q152959]

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Removed the first Exchange server in a site without replication first

We've removed the first Exchange server in a site without replicating the
Offline Address Book folder and Schedule+ Free Busy Information folder.  Now
we encounter the problem to generate the OAB and view others' free/busy
schedule.  Is there any workaround for this case?  Thanks in advance.

2. Unwanted Updates

3. Removing the first lonely server of the first site of the Org

4. Secure Port25 ??

5. Removed the first Exchange server in a site without replication first

6. Message submitted to Catagorizer and *ker-flush*...

7. Forwarding mail to an outside account

8. multiple bridgehead servers in same site

9. How many site connectors per bridgehead server

10. Remove bridgehead server from the existing site