Defrag on test server! Move logs also??

Defrag on test server! Move logs also??

Post by archiec.. » Sat, 30 Dec 2000 22:28:54



We have been informed by MS to run an ESEUTIL /d on Priv, Pub, and DS.
They want us to run it on our test Exchange 5.5 server (we do not have
125% free space on production 5.5 server!).

This is to correct some potential corruption as indicated by Event
1101 - Error 0xffffffbd3 during background cleanup on the PUB and
Priv.  We have previously moved production data to our test Exchange
server by copying everything in the DSADATA and MDBDATA folders from
our production server to empty folders in our test server for both the
logs and databases.  We used an offline backup for this.  We ran
ISINTEG -Patch first on the test server.

After the defrag when copying back to the production server do we only
copy the databases to empty folders, or do we also copy back any log
files generated on the test server during the defrag?  After we copy
back we assume we have to run ISINTEG -Patch again.  MS has since
closed out our request and has not responded back to us.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

 
 
 

Defrag on test server! Move logs also??

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:08:02



>We have been informed by MS to run an ESEUTIL /d on Priv, Pub, and DS.
>They want us to run it on our test Exchange 5.5 server (we do not have
>125% free space on production 5.5 server!).

>This is to correct some potential corruption as indicated by Event
>1101 - Error 0xffffffbd3 during background cleanup on the PUB and
>Priv.  We have previously moved production data to our test Exchange
>server by copying everything in the DSADATA and MDBDATA folders from
>our production server to empty folders in our test server for both the
>logs and databases.  We used an offline backup for this.  We ran
>ISINTEG -Patch first on the test server.

>After the defrag when copying back to the production server do we only
>copy the databases to empty folders, or do we also copy back any log
>files generated on the test server during the defrag?  After we copy
>back we assume we have to run ISINTEG -Patch again.  MS has since
>closed out our request and has not responded back to us.

If the database was in a consistent state when you copied it to the
test server, and it was in a consistent state when you copied it back
to the production server, then you should NOT retain the original log
files (or the EDB.CHK file) on the production server, and you should
NOT copy the log files or EDB.CHK files from the test server.

I wouldn't delete them though -- at least not right away. MOVE them to
another directory until after you get the directory service and
information store services started. Make a ON-LINE backup immediately.
If it completes without error, go ahead and delted the loc and chk
files you moved.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

Defrag on test server! Move logs also??

Post by archiec.. » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 00:15:24





> >We have been informed by MS to run an ESEUTIL /d on Priv, Pub, and
DS.
> >They want us to run it on our test Exchange 5.5 server (we do not
have
> >125% free space on production 5.5 server!).

> >This is to correct some potential corruption as indicated by Event
> >1101 - Error 0xffffffbd3 during background cleanup on the PUB and
> >Priv.  We have previously moved production data to our test Exchange
> >server by copying everything in the DSADATA and MDBDATA folders from
> >our production server to empty folders in our test server for both
the
> >logs and databases.  We used an offline backup for this.  We ran
> >ISINTEG -Patch first on the test server.

> >After the defrag when copying back to the production server do we
only
> >copy the databases to empty folders, or do we also copy back any log
> >files generated on the test server during the defrag?  After we copy
> >back we assume we have to run ISINTEG -Patch again.  MS has since
> >closed out our request and has not responded back to us.

> If the database was in a consistent state when you copied it to the
> test server, and it was in a consistent state

How do I tell if the database was in consistent state?
We will be checking Event Viewer for anything unusual!  We will be
doing On-Line backup and then Off Line backup before copying files to
test server using Off-Line backup.  We will be using Off-Line backup
from test server to copy files back to production server.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:> when you copied it back
> to the production server, then you should NOT retain the original log
> files (or the EDB.CHK file) on the production server, and you should
> NOT copy the log files or EDB.CHK files from the test server.

> I wouldn't delete them though -- at least not right away. MOVE them to
> another directory until after you get the directory service and
> information store services started. Make a ON-LINE backup immediately.
> If it completes without error, go ahead and delted the loc and chk
> files you moved.

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
 
 
 

Defrag on test server! Move logs also??

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 00:50:34


                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>> If the database was in a consistent state when you copied it to the
>> test server, and it was in a consistent state

>How do I tell if the database was in consistent state?

ESEUTIL /MH will tell you the state of the database. ESEUTIL /G will
examine the file for some problems.

Quote:>We will be checking Event Viewer for anything unusual!  

That's fine after you get things back into operation.

Quote:>We will be
>doing On-Line backup and then Off Line backup before copying files to
>test server using Off-Line backup.  We will be using Off-Line backup
>from test server to copy files back to production server.

Are the servers not connected by a LAN? Tape may be faster, but that
depends on your controllers and drives. A 100Mbps LAN may be faster
than a DAT, but probably not faster than a DLT. And using ESEFILE to
copy the database is faster than using "copy".

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

Defrag on test server! Move logs also??

Post by archiec.. » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 04:55:39





>                                    [ snip ]

> >> If the database was in a consistent state when you copied it to the
> >> test server, and it was in a consistent state

> >How do I tell if the database was in consistent state?

> ESEUTIL /MH will tell you the state of the database. ESEUTIL /G will
> examine the file for some problems.

> >We will be checking Event Viewer for anything unusual!

> That's fine after you get things back into operation.

> >We will be
> >doing On-Line backup and then Off Line backup before copying files to
> >test server using Off-Line backup.  We will be using Off-Line backup
> >from test server to copy files back to production server.

> Are the servers not connected by a LAN? Tape may be faster, but that
> depends on your controllers and drives. A 100Mbps LAN may be faster
> than a DAT, but probably not faster than a DLT. And using ESEFILE to
> copy the database is faster than using "copy".

The test server is on a hub all by itself!  It is named the same as the
production server.  Where is the ESEFILE utility?

Quote:

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/
 
 
 

Defrag on test server! Move logs also??

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 05:38:25


XADM: Esefile Support Utility for Exchange Server 5.5, 2000 [Q248406]





> >                                       [ snip ]

> > >> If the database was in a consistent state when you copied it to the
> > >> test server, and it was in a consistent state

> > >How do I tell if the database was in consistent state?

> > ESEUTIL /MH will tell you the state of the database. ESEUTIL /G will
> > examine the file for some problems.

> > >We will be checking Event Viewer for anything unusual!

> > That's fine after you get things back into operation.

> > >We will be
> > >doing On-Line backup and then Off Line backup before copying files to
> > >test server using Off-Line backup.  We will be using Off-Line backup
> > >from test server to copy files back to production server.

> > Are the servers not connected by a LAN? Tape may be faster, but that
> > depends on your controllers and drives. A 100Mbps LAN may be faster
> > than a DAT, but probably not faster than a DLT. And using ESEFILE to
> > copy the database is faster than using "copy".

> The test server is on a hub all by itself!  It is named the same as the
> production server.  Where is the ESEFILE utility?

> > ------------------
> > Rich Matheisen
> > MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> > MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

--
Corrections are welcome.

For "Good post" practice visit
http://members.home.com/dts-l/goodpost.htm

Kirill.

 
 
 

Defrag on test server! Move logs also??

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 01 Jan 2001 06:06:09


                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>The test server is on a hub all by itself!  It is named the same as the
>production server.  Where is the ESEFILE utility?

On the SP3 CD. Probably on the SP4 CD, too (I haven't looked for it
there, though). But what good is it going to do you if you can't use
it to copy the files between the two machines?

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

 
 
 

Defrag on test server! Move logs also??

Post by archiec.. » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:00:43





>                                    [ snip ]

> >The test server is on a hub all by itself!  It is named the same as
the
> >production server.  Where is the ESEFILE utility?

> On the SP3 CD. Probably on the SP4 CD, too (I haven't looked for it
> there, though). But what good is it going to do you if you can't use
> it to copy the files between the two machines?

At first we could not get our tape backup pc working on the test
network, so we used a pc with large hd to move the db's between the
networks.  In this case ESEFILE would have been helpful, rather than
using xcopy.

Quote:

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/