Hotfix 815021 Blue Screen SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE

Hotfix 815021 Blue Screen SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE

Post by Ryan Belche » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:18:03

I'm posting this as a dual purpose post.  1)  Documenting my problems and
requesting feedback from anyone who knows what is going on.  And 2)
Documenting what I did to roll myself back.

   I've got a Win2k Sp2 Server with Exchange 2000 Sp3 installed with all the
latest hotfixes installed.  Upon installing 815021
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815021, I rebooted
and promptly blue screened with STOP ERROR: SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE
0x00000071 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0) I've trimmed the useless "0"'s.  No GUI mode
would work (safe mode, AD Restore Mode, etc).   If any Microsoft People want
to take a stab at this let me know and I'll be happy to give you as much
info as possible.

What I did to fix it:

1)  Using the Win2k server installation disk, I booted to the Recovery
Console Repair mode.  I copied the new %windir%\system32\ntdll.dll (which
was installed by the hotfix) to c:\.
2)  I copied the %windir%\$NtUninstallQ815021$\ntdll.dll to
%windir%\system32\
3)  Reboot

I do not know what else the patch did, but this appeared to allow me to
return to normal operation.

I hope this helps some other poor souls that ran into this.  I was sweating
bullets.

Ryan

Hotfix 815021 Blue Screen SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE

Post by T. » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 05:05:01

On Tue, 18 Mar 2003 09:18:03 -0500, "Ryan Belcher"

<snip>

I ran into this yesterday.  Patched a test machine a got the BSOD you
talk about.  I also performed the same fix you did and all was back to
normal.  Afterward I posted a message in the MS private groups.
Hopefully they'll get on it before my users (or anyones users) start
using WU blindly.

-T.

Hotfix 815021 Blue Screen SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE

Post by Michael Calan » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:11:18

Ryan, others...

I can confirm this also happened on a Win2K Server sP2 (+ most other
patches).  Upon installing MS03-007 (Q815021_W2K_sp4_x86_EN.EXE) my DC
halts at boot with the same stop code.

Interestingly, I applied this patch to a Win2K Pro SP2 (+ most other
patches) machine running IIS and it rebooted just fine.

I am in the process of recovering NTDLL.DLL and will reply only if the
recovery fails.

Thanks,

- mike

Hotfix 815021 Blue Screen SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE

Post by Michael Calan » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 07:36:50

OK...so I lied, I want to reply regardless.  Ryan, the steps you
outlined worked like a champ...thanks for publishing them, you saved
us a lot of time!

Now let's see what MS has to say...unfortunately the patch is still
available...reminds me of the MS01-052 debacle, which at the time
whacked our Exchange server:

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-11-268382.html

Quote:> "Yesterday, we discovered that the updated version contained
> outdated files which, as a result, did not fix the issues for
> which it was designed," a Microsoft representative said
> Wednesday. "We are incredibly sorry and apologize for any
> convenience."

> ...edit...

> "If you look through the mailing lists and the bug lists,
> you'll see that one time out of five, a new patch is
> replacing an older one that didn't work right," [Gartner's Pescatore] said.

> On Wednesay, nearly a week after the release of the first
> patch, Microsoft rushed to update its Web site and mailing
> lists with the newest fix.

> "This will not happen again," said the Microsoft
> spokesperson. "Period."

"Period."  Hrm.  :)

- mike

Hotfix 815021 Blue Screen SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE

Post by Vassilis Contogeorgo » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 16:52:46

What i can see common from all of you is that you have win 2k SP2...i think
this is suppose to be a patch after sp3 installations...i don't know....

Microsoft should deffently find a solution for this...

Quote:> I'm posting this as a dual purpose post.  1)  Documenting my problems and
> requesting feedback from anyone who knows what is going on.  And 2)
> Documenting what I did to roll myself back.

>    I've got a Win2k Sp2 Server with Exchange 2000 Sp3 installed with all
the
> latest hotfixes installed.  Upon installing 815021
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815021, I rebooted
> and promptly blue screened with STOP ERROR:

SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE
Quote:> 0x00000071 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0) I've trimmed the useless "0"'s.  No GUI mode
> would work (safe mode, AD Restore Mode, etc).   If any Microsoft People
want
> to take a stab at this let me know and I'll be happy to give you as much
> info as possible.

> What I did to fix it:

> 1)  Using the Win2k server installation disk, I booted to the Recovery
> Console Repair mode.  I copied the new %windir%\system32\ntdll.dll (which
> was installed by the hotfix) to c:\.
> 2)  I copied the %windir%\$NtUninstallQ815021$\ntdll.dll to
> %windir%\system32\
> 3)  Reboot

> I do not know what else the patch did, but this appeared to allow me to
> return to normal operation.

> I hope this helps some other poor souls that ran into this.  I was
sweating
> bullets.

> Ryan

Hotfix 815021 Blue Screen SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE

Post by Andr » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 19:36:12

Everyone,

I also ran into the same problems, but now with Win2k SP2 Professional
workstations and laptops all still on SP2, and Ryan's fix did the job
! Thanks !

Andr

> I'm posting this as a dual purpose post.  1)  Documenting my problems and
> requesting feedback from anyone who knows what is going on.  And 2)
> Documenting what I did to roll myself back.

>    I've got a Win2k Sp2 Server with Exchange 2000 Sp3 installed with all the
> latest hotfixes installed.  Upon installing 815021
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815021, I rebooted
> and promptly blue screened with STOP ERROR: SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE
> 0x00000071 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0) I've trimmed the useless "0"'s.  No GUI mode
> would work (safe mode, AD Restore Mode, etc).   If any Microsoft People want
> to take a stab at this let me know and I'll be happy to give you as much
> info as possible.

> What I did to fix it:

> 1)  Using the Win2k server installation disk, I booted to the Recovery
> Console Repair mode.  I copied the new %windir%\system32\ntdll.dll (which
> was installed by the hotfix) to c:\.
> 2)  I copied the %windir%\$NtUninstallQ815021$\ntdll.dll to
> %windir%\system32\
> 3)  Reboot

> I do not know what else the patch did, but this appeared to allow me to
> return to normal operation.

> I hope this helps some other poor souls that ran into this.  I was sweating
> bullets.

> Ryan

Hotfix 815021 Blue Screen SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE

Post by Han » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 21:20:21

Hallo,
we encountered a similar phenomenon after having installed W2K SP3 on
the machine:

Starting on wednesday, 26 January our W2K-Domain Controller (PDC)
crashes now every wednesday exactly at noon with bluescreen!
Eventlog shows: (The computer has
rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000077
(0xc000000d, 0xc000000d, 0x00000000, 0x00131000).
Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195].)

We are searching in every direction without any result up to now.
Do you think the reason for that could also be SP3, although the stop
code is 77 (not 71)?

Hans

Hotfix 815021 Blue Screen SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE

Post by Ryan Belche » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:23:30

This thread documents a problem with the newest hotfix that Microsoft put
out, since you're experiencing a problem waaaay previous this fix I don't
believe it's related.  Since you're crashing exactly at the same times, I'd
check to see what application may be scheduled to run on Wednesdays at Noon.

Quote:> Hallo,
> we encountered a similar phenomenon after having installed W2K SP3 on
> the machine:

> Starting on wednesday, 26 January our W2K-Domain Controller (PDC)
> crashes now every wednesday exactly at noon with bluescreen!
> Eventlog shows: (The computer has
> rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000077
> (0xc000000d, 0xc000000d, 0x00000000, 0x00131000).
> Microsoft Windows 2000 [v15.2195].)

> We are searching in every direction without any result up to now.
> Do you think the reason for that could also be SP3, although the stop
> code is 77 (not 71)?

> Hans

Hotfix 815021 Blue Screen SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE

Post by Vassilis Contogeorgo » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:44:48

As per microsoft :

"If you are running Windows 2000 Service Pack 2 (SP2), before you install
this update you must check the version of Ntoskrnl.exe on your system:
  1.. Browse to the %windir%\System32 folder.
  2.. Right-click the Ntoskrnl.exe file, click Properties, and then click
the Version tab.
Versions of Ntoskrnl.exe between 5.0.2195.4797 and 5.0.2195.4928 (inclusive)
are not compatible with this update. These versions were only distributed
with Product Support Services (PSS) hotfixes. If the update for this issue
is installed on a system with one of these versions of Ntoskrnl.exe, the
computer stops responding on the first restart with a Stop 0x00000071
message and must be recovered using the Windows 2000 Recovery Console and
the backup copy of Ntdll.dll stored in the "\winnt\$NTUninstallQ815021$"
folder.
To update a system with a version of Ntoskrnl.exe distributed from Product
Support Services, you must first contact PSS before you apply this update.
Alternatively, you can upgrade to Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 (SP3) prior to
installing this update. "

Quote:> I'm posting this as a dual purpose post.  1)  Documenting my problems and
> requesting feedback from anyone who knows what is going on.  And 2)
> Documenting what I did to roll myself back.

>    I've got a Win2k Sp2 Server with Exchange 2000 Sp3 installed with all
the
> latest hotfixes installed.  Upon installing 815021
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;815021, I rebooted
> and promptly blue screened with STOP ERROR:

SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE
Quote:> 0x00000071 (0x0, 0x0, 0x0) I've trimmed the useless "0"'s.  No GUI mode
> would work (safe mode, AD Restore Mode, etc).   If any Microsoft People
want
> to take a stab at this let me know and I'll be happy to give you as much
> info as possible.

> What I did to fix it:

> 1)  Using the Win2k server installation disk, I booted to the Recovery
> Console Repair mode.  I copied the new %windir%\system32\ntdll.dll (which
> was installed by the hotfix) to c:\.
> 2)  I copied the %windir%\$NtUninstallQ815021$\ntdll.dll to
> %windir%\system32\
> 3)  Reboot

> I do not know what else the patch did, but this appeared to allow me to
> return to normal operation.

> I hope this helps some other poor souls that ran into this.  I was
sweating
> bullets.

> Ryan

1. Big Blue Screen with MS Mail Interchange connector running

We are getting a blue screen when we restart our server with the Ms Mail
Interchange Connector running. This is very odd as it was running fine for
months connecting to other msmail postoffices. We have done a full
reinstall of NT4 sp3 and Exchnage 5.0 sp2. We restored the data from a
backup and still get the same error. We have not added any new
software/hardware to the server for some time.

Stop 0x0000001e loads of hex - netbt.sys

Any ideas?

james

2. List of applications?

3. DCPROMO Blue Screen

4. slow sync over vpn

5. ftp session blue screens server

6. Exchange Client behaving badly

7. Server hangs with blue screen

8. ADO Record Openning a .DOC document???

9. blue screen

10. Exch 5.5 SP2 NWLinkspx Blue screen with Client32

11. When Outlook opens it BLUE SCREENS my Exchange Server 5.5

12. Big Blue Screen with MS Mail Interchange connector running

13. "The blue screen of death"