Private Info Store size exceeded limit!!!!!!

Private Info Store size exceeded limit!!!!!!

Post by Sylvan Jona » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 00:39:41

We found out the hard way that the standard Exchange 5.5 has a Information
store limit of 16GB, but the Enterprise Edition doesn't.  Why my predecesor
didn't get the Enterprise Edition, I don't know!  Here's my question.  Our
Private Information store exceeded the 16GB limit and shut down.  I was able
to do an offline defrag and get it running again, but the size still shows
up as over 16GB.  I don't know how much longer it will stay up before
encountering the same problem.  Is there any way I can reduce the size of
that information store?  We had a user who has left the firm months ago and
we finally deleted her mailbox!  Her mailbox alone was 1.3 GB!  After
deleting her mailbox, we only regained 200MB of space!!!!  What gives?  Any
idea as to why I didn't get back the space?  According to Event 1221 from
the Online defrag, I will only reclaim 1MB if I do another offline defrag.
I've deleted several other mailboxes of people who have left the firm, but
it doesn't even put a dent in the private information store's size.  Please
help before my server goes down again!!

Thanks,
Sylvan Jonas

Private Info Store size exceeded limit!!!!!!

Post by Peter Peedu [MS » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 01:08:05

Hi Sylvan.

Q198673 XADM: Single Instance Storage Ratio is Low
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q198673

quote:

Single instance storage means that if the same message is sent to two users
on
the same server, that only one copy of the message is inserted in the
database.
Both users access the single instance of the message to read it.

End of quote.

This means that if you have a mailbox that is 1.3 GB and delete it we can
not
say that she had 1.3 GIG of unique data. Since you only got away with 200
Meg.

The other data were pointers to other items still within the Priv.edb file.

I would advice you to buy Enterprice Edition and just do a Reinstall on your
existing server.
The reinstall will NOT change any data within the MDBDATA directory just
upgrade the binaries.

If you decide to do this. Please do not forget to reinstall your Exchange
5.5 service pack to the same
level as you had on the standard edition.

// Peter

Quote:> We found out the hard way that the standard Exchange 5.5 has a Information
> store limit of 16GB, but the Enterprise Edition doesn't.  Why my
predecesor
> didn't get the Enterprise Edition, I don't know!  Here's my question.  Our
> Private Information store exceeded the 16GB limit and shut down.  I was
able
> to do an offline defrag and get it running again, but the size still shows
> up as over 16GB.  I don't know how much longer it will stay up before
> encountering the same problem.  Is there any way I can reduce the size of
> that information store?  We had a user who has left the firm months ago
and
> we finally deleted her mailbox!  Her mailbox alone was 1.3 GB!  After
> deleting her mailbox, we only regained 200MB of space!!!!  What gives?
Any
> idea as to why I didn't get back the space?  According to Event 1221 from
> the Online defrag, I will only reclaim 1MB if I do another offline defrag.
> I've deleted several other mailboxes of people who have left the firm, but
> it doesn't even put a dent in the private information store's size.
Please
> help before my server goes down again!!

> Thanks,
> Sylvan Jonas

Private Info Store size exceeded limit!!!!!!

Post by Sylvan Jona » Sat, 14 Sep 2002 02:12:57

Thanks.  I thought that's what I might have to do, but I wanted to see if
there was a less costly way.

Sylvan

> Hi Sylvan.

> Q198673 XADM: Single Instance Storage Ratio is Low
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q198673

> quote:

> Single instance storage means that if the same message is sent to two
users
> on
> the same server, that only one copy of the message is inserted in the
> database.
> Both users access the single instance of the message to read it.

> End of quote.

> This means that if you have a mailbox that is 1.3 GB and delete it we can
> not
> say that she had 1.3 GIG of unique data. Since you only got away with 200
> Meg.

> The other data were pointers to other items still within the Priv.edb
file.

> I would advice you to buy Enterprice Edition and just do a Reinstall on
your
> existing server.
> The reinstall will NOT change any data within the MDBDATA directory just
> upgrade the binaries.

> If you decide to do this. Please do not forget to reinstall your Exchange
> 5.5 service pack to the same
> level as you had on the standard edition.

> // Peter

> > We found out the hard way that the standard Exchange 5.5 has a
Information
> > store limit of 16GB, but the Enterprise Edition doesn't.  Why my
> predecesor
> > didn't get the Enterprise Edition, I don't know!  Here's my question.
Our
> > Private Information store exceeded the 16GB limit and shut down.  I was
> able
> > to do an offline defrag and get it running again, but the size still
shows
> > up as over 16GB.  I don't know how much longer it will stay up before
> > encountering the same problem.  Is there any way I can reduce the size
of
> > that information store?  We had a user who has left the firm months ago
> and
> > we finally deleted her mailbox!  Her mailbox alone was 1.3 GB!  After
> > deleting her mailbox, we only regained 200MB of space!!!!  What gives?
> Any
> > idea as to why I didn't get back the space?  According to Event 1221
from
> > the Online defrag, I will only reclaim 1MB if I do another offline
defrag.
> > I've deleted several other mailboxes of people who have left the firm,
but
> > it doesn't even put a dent in the private information store's size.
> Please
> > help before my server goes down again!!

> > Thanks,
> > Sylvan Jonas

1. Odd Private Info Store Storage Limit Problem...

O.K.  I'm stumped,

We just performed a complete rebuild of an Exchange 5.5 sp2 server and
restored mailboxes from backup.  Previously we had a global storage limit
set for mailboxes, however now when we try to apply it, thoses individuals
who have the "Use Info Store defaults UNCHECKED, can no longer send because
it exceeds the storage limits as set by the Info Store.

Anyone else experience this?

2. Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000

3. Reducing the size of the private info store

4. How do I change domain shown in OWA Change Password (Exchange 5.5)?

5. Age limits for private info store?

6. Auto forward messages to pager

7. Limit's On Private Info Store

8. Microsoft Linkage Directory Exchange 3.2

9. Are there any limit on Private store size on SBS 4.5, Exchange 5.5

10. Private and public store 2GB size limit???

11. Size Limit on the Private Information Store

12. Problem with Private Information store size limit

13. Mailbox Limit Exceeded / Message Length Exceeds Administrative Limit