priv.edb is still huge after running eseutil

priv.edb is still huge after running eseutil

Post by Jo Knigh » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:42:07

Hi,

On our Exchange 5.5 server the priv.edb file is over 50GB in size. The total
size of all the mailboxes is in the region of 20GB. I understood that the
.edb file needed to be de-fragmented as per the instructions at:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B255035

After running the eseutil command the priv.edb file only shrunk by around
600MB (it took around 24 hours to complete). Is my understanding correct
that it should have cleaned up the unused space in the database or is there
something else that I need to do in order to get the priv.edb file down to
its 'actual' filesize.

Many thanks,

Jo

priv.edb is still huge after running eseutil

Post by Stephen Annin » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:40:34

Not sure about 5.5, but in W2K there are two modes of defrag.

On-line which just tidies up but doesn't reduce the size and offline which
actually recreates the database and effectively removes all free space and
fragmentation.

Quote:> Hi,

> On our Exchange 5.5 server the priv.edb file is over 50GB in size. The
total
> size of all the mailboxes is in the region of 20GB. I understood that the
> .edb file needed to be de-fragmented as per the instructions at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B255035

> After running the eseutil command the priv.edb file only shrunk by around
> 600MB (it took around 24 hours to complete). Is my understanding correct
> that it should have cleaned up the unused space in the database or is
there
> something else that I need to do in order to get the priv.edb file down to
> its 'actual' filesize.

> Many thanks,

> Jo

priv.edb is still huge after running eseutil

Post by Jo Knigh » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:54:39

Yes, it was an offline defrag. I used a version of the following command
when all MS Exchange services were stopped.

 eseutil /d /ispriv /tG:\Folder1\TempDfrg.edb

Quote:> Not sure about 5.5, but in W2K there are two modes of defrag.

> On-line which just tidies up but doesn't reduce the size and offline which
> actually recreates the database and effectively removes all free space and
> fragmentation.

priv.edb is still huge after running eseutil

Post by Vija » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 20:38:03

I think, you have enabled "Deleted item retention" if it is, Please check
the following link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249680

look for the Event id 1221 in application log, this will indicate how much
free space in the information store.

Quote:> Hi,

> On our Exchange 5.5 server the priv.edb file is over 50GB in size. The
total
> size of all the mailboxes is in the region of 20GB. I understood that the
> .edb file needed to be de-fragmented as per the instructions at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B255035

> After running the eseutil command the priv.edb file only shrunk by around
> 600MB (it took around 24 hours to complete). Is my understanding correct
> that it should have cleaned up the unused space in the database or is
there
> something else that I need to do in order to get the priv.edb file down to
> its 'actual' filesize.

> Many thanks,

> Jo

1. Running isinteg & eseutil on large priv.edb

Could someone please indicate how much time it should take to run eseutil /p
/v /x, eseutil /mh, isinteg -priv -fix -test alltest and isinteg -patch on a
16 gb priv.edb file. The server is a state of the art Proliant with
sufficient memory.

Thanks for your kind attention. I look forward to receiving your comments.

Kind regards,

Fredje

2. CCmail 8 migration to Exchange 5.5 SP2 ??

3. Run EseUtil Across the Network when Priv.edb Gets Too big

4. ERROR 2140?!?

5. Huge priv.edb

6. Exchange 5.0 Upgrade corrupted mailboxes - HELP!

7. Exchange 2000 - small mailboxes, but huge PRIV.EDB

8. Adding Resources

9. disk space problem (priv.edb too huge)

10. huge priv.edb

11. Size of PRIV.EDB (HUGE)

12. ESEUTIL with Exch 5.5 --Defrag priv.edb and placing temp file elsewhere

13. moving Priv.edb to use eseutil