Forwarding Mail only at certain times

Post by Jason McClea » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I am using Exchange 5.5 with the Internet Mail Service dialling an ISP and
collecting all the mail for our domain (e.g ourdomain.isp.co.uk), at regular
intervals.  I have one user who would like to check his email from outside
the organisation at evenings and weekends.  If he dialled into the ISP
himself, he could check his mail that way out of office hours, but only if
Exchange didn't get there first.  Exchange needs to collect email for others
in the office who work weekends etc. so telling it only to get all the email
during normal office hours is not a solution.

I could redirect all email for this one user to another internet email
account, but then when in the office, that account would have to be checked
instead of the exchange one, and this could lead to issues of duplication
etc.

Without granting this user dial in access to the server where Exchange
resides (or any other server for that matter), is there any way of telling
Exchange to forward his mail at certain times, or not to pick it up from the
ISP in the first place?  All users share the same format of address

particular address to left on the ISP's server.

This user (my boss), wants this to be as simple to use as poss, or am I just
being paranoid not letting anyone dial in to our servers?

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Forwarding Mail only at certain times

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Just enable dial-in.

> I am using Exchange 5.5 with the Internet Mail Service dialling an ISP and
> collecting all the mail for our domain (e.g ourdomain.isp.co.uk), at regular
> intervals.  I have one user who would like to check his email from outside
> the organisation at evenings and weekends.  If he dialled into the ISP
> himself, he could check his mail that way out of office hours, but only if
> Exchange didn't get there first.  Exchange needs to collect email for others
> in the office who work weekends etc. so telling it only to get all the email
> during normal office hours is not a solution.

> I could redirect all email for this one user to another internet email
> account, but then when in the office, that account would have to be checked
> instead of the exchange one, and this could lead to issues of duplication
> etc.

> Without granting this user dial in access to the server where Exchange
> resides (or any other server for that matter), is there any way of telling
> Exchange to forward his mail at certain times, or not to pick it up from the
> ISP in the first place?  All users share the same format of address

> particular address to left on the ISP's server.

> This user (my boss), wants this to be as simple to use as poss, or am I just
> being paranoid not letting anyone dial in to our servers?

> Any suggestions gratefully received.

group).

Kirill

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>I am using Exchange 5.5 with the Internet Mail Service dialling an ISP and
>collecting all the mail for our domain (e.g ourdomain.isp.co.uk), at regular
>intervals.  I have one user who would like to check his email from outside
>the organisation at evenings and weekends.  If he dialled into the ISP
>himself, he could check his mail that way out of office hours, but only if
>Exchange didn't get there first.  Exchange needs to collect email for others
>in the office who work weekends etc. so telling it only to get all the email
>during normal office hours is not a solution.

You're using a POP3-to-SMTP connector, right? The only way that user
could read his mail at the ISP is if it was delivered to a mailbox.
Tell the connector to leave the messages for that user on the server.
Your problem has nothing to do with Exchange.

Quote:>I could redirect all email for this one user to another internet email
>account, but then when in the office, that account would have to be checked
>instead of the exchange one, and this could lead to issues of duplication
>etc.

Not at all. Create a Custom Recipient to represent the address. Then
nominate the CR as an "Alternate Recipient" for his mailbox. Check the
box that says they both receive a copy of each mesaage.

Quote:>Without granting this user dial in access to the server where Exchange
>resides (or any other server for that matter), is there any way of telling
>Exchange to forward his mail at certain times, or not to pick it up from the
>ISP in the first place?

Exchange isn't "picking up" the mail. If it was SMTP the ISP's server
would SEND the mail to Exchange and the user wouldn't be able to read
the mail at the ISP.

>All users share the same format of address

>particular address to left on the ISP's server.

See the suggestions above.

Quote:>This user (my boss), wants this to be as simple to use as poss, or am I just
>being paranoid not letting anyone dial in to our servers?

Tell your boss to fork over the money for a full time connection to
the ISP. Dump the POP3-to-SMTP semi-solution.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Forwarding Mail only at certain times

Post by Francis Bound » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Rich's points regarding POP3 and SMTP are not necessarily valid. There is at
least one ISP in the UK (Demon) that allows dialup users to use SMTP to
collect mail by assigning a static IP address. They also have POP3 access in
parallel which allows mail to alternatively be collected using a POP3 client
or the WebMail POP3 access that they support.

If your boss is using Outlook2000 as his client and has a separate 'home'
internet e-mail account, why not just get him to turn on 'Out of Office' at
the weekend and have his mail forwarded to his 'home' address. Saves you
having to muck about with Custom Recipients. Of course, if he's like my
boss, he'll forget to do it and want you to do it for him but it is another
option.

> >I am using Exchange 5.5 with the Internet Mail Service dialling an ISP
and
> >collecting all the mail for our domain (e.g ourdomain.isp.co.uk), at
regular
> >intervals.  I have one user who would like to check his email from
outside
> >the organisation at evenings and weekends.  If he dialled into the ISP
> >himself, he could check his mail that way out of office hours, but only
if
> >Exchange didn't get there first.  Exchange needs to collect email for
others
> >in the office who work weekends etc. so telling it only to get all the
email
> >during normal office hours is not a solution.

> You're using a POP3-to-SMTP connector, right? The only way that user
> could read his mail at the ISP is if it was delivered to a mailbox.
> Tell the connector to leave the messages for that user on the server.
> Your problem has nothing to do with Exchange.

> >I could redirect all email for this one user to another internet email
> >account, but then when in the office, that account would have to be
checked
> >instead of the exchange one, and this could lead to issues of duplication
> >etc.

> Not at all. Create a Custom Recipient to represent the address. Then
> nominate the CR as an "Alternate Recipient" for his mailbox. Check the
> box that says they both receive a copy of each mesaage.

> >Without granting this user dial in access to the server where Exchange
> >resides (or any other server for that matter), is there any way of
telling
> >Exchange to forward his mail at certain times, or not to pick it up from
the
> >ISP in the first place?

> Exchange isn't "picking up" the mail. If it was SMTP the ISP's server
> would SEND the mail to Exchange and the user wouldn't be able to read
> the mail at the ISP.

> >All users share the same format of address

> >particular address to left on the ISP's server.

> See the suggestions above.

> >This user (my boss), wants this to be as simple to use as poss, or am I
just
> >being paranoid not letting anyone dial in to our servers?

> Tell your boss to fork over the money for a full time connection to
> the ISP. Dump the POP3-to-SMTP semi-solution.

> ------------------
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Forwarding Mail only at certain times

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 20 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>Rich's points regarding POP3 and SMTP are not necessarily valid.

Oh, but they ARE valid! The fact that one ISP has installed some sort
of "tee" to deliver messages to a mailbox while at the same time
keeping the same data in a SMTP queue doesn't make my advice invalid.
POP3 is still POP3. And SMTP isn't "picked up", it's delivered. SMTP
is a "push" technology.

Quote:>There is at
>least one ISP in the UK (Demon) that allows dialup users to use SMTP to
>collect mail by assigning a static IP address.

How is an "assigned" IP address "static"? This sounds like DDNS which
is several years old. There's nothing about SMTP that requires a
permanently assigned IP address. It's only been the use of static DNS
that's made it seem that way.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Forwarding Mail only at certain times

Post by Andreas H?kansso » Fri, 24 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Or if you want to be more advance dthen you could do wite a Exchange Event
Scripting Agent
add in that check his folder for New mails and check to see if the time is
equal or bigger then
then time you specify, and at the same time smaller then morning time when
you start to work
and froward the mail then.

> Just enable dial-in.

> > I am using Exchange 5.5 with the Internet Mail Service dialling an ISP
and
> > collecting all the mail for our domain (e.g ourdomain.isp.co.uk), at
regular
> > intervals.  I have one user who would like to check his email from
outside
> > the organisation at evenings and weekends.  If he dialled into the ISP
> > himself, he could check his mail that way out of office hours, but only
if
> > Exchange didn't get there first.  Exchange needs to collect email for
others
> > in the office who work weekends etc. so telling it only to get all the
email
> > during normal office hours is not a solution.

> > I could redirect all email for this one user to another internet email
> > account, but then when in the office, that account would have to be
checked
> > instead of the exchange one, and this could lead to issues of
duplication
> > etc.

> > Without granting this user dial in access to the server where Exchange
> > resides (or any other server for that matter), is there any way of
telling
> > Exchange to forward his mail at certain times, or not to pick it up from
the
> > ISP in the first place?  All users share the same format of address

> > particular address to left on the ISP's server.

> > This user (my boss), wants this to be as simple to use as poss, or am I
just
> > being paranoid not letting anyone dial in to our servers?

> > Any suggestions gratefully received.

> --
> If you feel that anything in my post needs correction - feel free to do so
(in
> group).
> And please, keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

1. limit incoming mail to certain users during certain times

My organization is running Exchange Server 5.5 and although I am handling the
Administration of it, I have no formal training.  I am trying to figure out if
there is a way to limit incoming mail to certain users during certain times of
the day, but not for all users, would like to keep my sales people focused on the
telephone and only access their email during lunch and after prime time phone
hours, usually after 4pm.  However, I would still like my research and
administrative staff to have access at all times. Can this be done?  Any help
would be appreciated.

2. Outlook2002 will only send via one account.

3. limit incoming mail during certain times

4. Message Store archive folder - can this be done?

5. Automatically forward mail for certain addresses.

6. Problem, the mailbox store and public folder store cannot be mounted

7. Directing incoming mail from a certain email address to a certain mailbox

8. POP3 over LAN

9. Forwarding mail from Exchange Server 5 at fixed Times

10. Exchange 5.5- Send email to alternate email address after a certain time in the

11. CTRL+ALT+DEL is not working with keyboard nor with SMS remote control after certain time

12. Certain messages get NDR'd w/message timed out

13. Hiding free-busy time from certain users