How much memory should Exchange 5.5 be using?

How much memory should Exchange 5.5 be using?

Post by AA » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:50:55

Hi, I am running an Exchange 5.5 sp4 server on WinNT 4
Sp6a, it's has one processor which is 1000mhz and 1256MB
of memory and tonnes of space.  We have roughly 500
mailboxes.  I came into work today and all the memory was
being used and this was at an off-peak time before the
users got into work.  I noticed it was the Store.exe
process that was taking it all up, and it has remained
ever since.  What should I do?

Is this right?

AA

How much memory should Exchange 5.5 be using?

Post by Chris Scharff [MVP » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:00:33

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:50:55 -0600, AA wrote

Quote:> Hi, I am running an Exchange 5.5 sp4 server on WinNT 4
> Sp6a, it's has one processor which is 1000mhz and 1256MB
> of memory and tonnes of space.  We have roughly 500
> mailboxes.  I came into work today and all the memory was
> being used and this was at an off-peak time before the
> users got into work.  I noticed it was the Store.exe
> process that was taking it all up, and it has remained
> ever since.  What should I do?

> Is this right?

> AA

Sounds fine.

--
Chris Scharff
The Mail Resource Center

How much memory should Exchange 5.5 be using?

Post by Rich » Fri, 24 Jan 2003 09:04:58

In versions earlier than Microsoft Exchange Server 5.5, memory over 256 MB
was not used. With version 5.5, memory up to 3 GB can be used and is used,
as is evident in the Task Manager Processes.

Exchange Server 5.5 uses all available RAM for the best performance
possible, unless memory usage is limited by using the Exchange Performance
Optimizer. Exchange Server will release memory to other applications as
required to increase system performance.

See This:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b182505

Rich