Exchange 5.5 and IMS

Post by A.N. Onymou » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Greetings,

    Trying to connect exchange server 5.5 to internet.  Using AT&T as ISP,
the MX record in their DNS points to mail.ourdomain.com.  Question:  Do I
have to rename the exchange server to mail or can I have AT&T have MX record
point to the exchange server (exch01.ourdomain.com)?  I have been placed in
the position of admin for this and there are no docs available.  Do you know
of a whitepaper where I can get these instructions?  Old admin was supposed
to know how to do this, but took all the docs and cannot be located.  Help
urgently needed!
    Thanks in advance!

--

[...]

Post by Jeff Griffit » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 12:49:17 -0500, "A.N. Onymous"

>Greetings,

>    Trying to connect exchange server 5.5 to internet.  Using AT&T as ISP,
>the MX record in their DNS points to mail.ourdomain.com.  Question:  Do I
>have to rename the exchange server to mail or can I have AT&T have MX record
>point to the exchange server (exch01.ourdomain.com)?  I have been placed in
>the position of admin for this and there are no docs available.  Do you know
>of a whitepaper where I can get these instructions?  Old admin was supposed
>to know how to do this, but took all the docs and cannot be located.  Help
>urgently needed!
>    Thanks in advance!

>--

The easiest thing to do is probably to have the ISP create a CNAME
entry in their DNS for your machine.  A CNAME entry creates an alias.

i.e., it would map exch01.ourdomain.com  to mail.ourdomain.com.

Or... simply have them change the MX record to match the name of your
machine.

Changing the name of an Exchange Server is not very simple and more
often than not begging for trouble.

Jeff
------------------------------
Jeff Griffiths
Network Engineer
Schreeder, Wheeler & Flint, LLP
Atlanta, GA USA
--------------------------------

Exchange 5.5 and IMS

Post by J. Scott Mustar » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I would put the MX record name and domain under the DNS tab of the TCP/IP
properties.

>On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 12:49:17 -0500, "A.N. Onymous"

>>Greetings,

>>    Trying to connect exchange server 5.5 to internet.  Using AT&T as ISP,
>>the MX record in their DNS points to mail.ourdomain.com.  Question:  Do I
>>have to rename the exchange server to mail or can I have AT&T have MX
record
>>point to the exchange server (exch01.ourdomain.com)?  I have been placed
in
>>the position of admin for this and there are no docs available.  Do you
know
>>of a whitepaper where I can get these instructions?  Old admin was
supposed
>>to know how to do this, but took all the docs and cannot be located.  Help
>>urgently needed!
>>    Thanks in advance!

>>--

>The easiest thing to do is probably to have the ISP create a CNAME
>entry in their DNS for your machine.  A CNAME entry creates an alias.

>i.e., it would map exch01.ourdomain.com  to mail.ourdomain.com.

>Or... simply have them change the MX record to match the name of your
>machine.

>Changing the name of an Exchange Server is not very simple and more
>often than not begging for trouble.

>Jeff
>------------------------------
>Jeff Griffiths
>Network Engineer
>Schreeder, Wheeler & Flint, LLP
>Atlanta, GA USA
>--------------------------------

1. Exchange 5.5 and IMS

Greetings,

    Trying to connect exchange server 5.5 to internet.  Using AT&T as ISP,
the MX record in their DNS points to mail.ourdomain.com.  Question:  Do I
have to rename the exchange server to mail or can I have AT&T have MX record
point to the exchange server (exch01.ourdomain.com)?  I have been placed in
the position of admin for this and there are no docs available.  Do you know
of a whitepaper where I can get these instructions?  Old admin was supposed
to know how to do this, but took all the docs and cannot be located.  Help
urgently needed!
    Thanks in advance!

--

2. Template User

3. Exchange 5.5 binding IMS to single IP on dual-homed server

4. Virtual SMTP servers

5. Subject: Exchange 5.5 and IMS

6. General Question

7. Exchange 5.5 SP - IMS to forwared unknown mail recipient

8. Exchange 5.5 and IMS

9. Exchange 5.5 with IMS (dial-up) & DNS

10. Exchange 5.5 and IMS