How does client talk to SMTP Server??

Post by Rich Matheis » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>If I have a client using an internet mail client application other than
>Exchange(Eudora, Netscape...etc) set up to go through an Exchange server
>for outgoing smtp mail, what protocol is being used to communicate
>between the client and the server.  TCP/IP obviously but what upper
>layer prot is being used, is the client talking SMTP with the Exchange
>Server and then the Server sending the mail message out with smtp also??

The client talks to the POP3 server on port 110. The client talks to
the SMTP server on port 25. TCP/IP is used in both cases. The commands
and responses are in plain text. The "upper layer" protocol is defined
by the appropriate RFC's which are, I believe, RFC1725, RFC1734 and
RFC 1939 (for POP3). The SMTP/ESMTP RFCs are RFC821, RFC822, RFC 1894,
RFC1985, RFC1870, RFC1869, and probably many others I've missed. I've
left out MIME, alternate characters ets, etc.

Quote:>Also, what upper layer protocol does an Exchange Client use to talk to
>an Exchange Server...MAPI RPC's??

RPC.
Richard Matheisen                             Wang Laboratories
Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Post by Sean Callaha » Wed, 03 Sep 1997 04:00:00

If I have a client using an internet mail client application other than
Exchange(Eudora, Netscape...etc) set up to go through an Exchange server
for outgoing smtp mail, what protocol is being used to communicate
between the client and the server.  TCP/IP obviously but what upper
layer prot is being used, is the client talking SMTP with the Exchange
Server and then the Server sending the mail message out with smtp also??

Also, what upper layer protocol does an Exchange Client use to talk to
an Exchange Server...MAPI RPC's??

Thanks in advance...

Sean Callahan

1. Talking to a Com object on failure by Microsft SMTP server to deliver a e-mail

Hi all,
   I'm developing an app on NT 4.0 which will send out a large number
of e-mails via microsoft SMTP server. When an e-mail is undelivered  i
would like to talk to a COM object which will do something as a
result . is there any way of doing this ? Basically same type
functionality as provided by SQL triggers.Thanks for all info.

Thanks a lot,
         Charles Gamble

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Lost passwd for PST file

3. Talking SMTP to Exchange Server.

4. exchange outlook web access error (EMERGENCY PLEASE HELP)

5. Clients don't talk to 5.5 server ?

6. Internet Mail service sends only.

7. Oh Exchange GURU...Client App different behaviour talking with different servers

8. HELP: How can I block access to...

9. Clients don't talk to 5.5 server ?

10. How To Talk SMTP and POP3