Installing OWA 2000 on separate server than Exchange

Installing OWA 2000 on separate server than Exchange

Post by Travis Butynsk » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 04:18:15

My company currently has an IIS server handling our external web traffic as
well as our OWA 5.5 processing.  Looking into Exchange 2000 (which we are in
the process of upgrading to now) it appears that the only way to get OWA off
from the actual Exchange server is to do a FE/BE configuration.  Reading up
on the Front End concept, it appears that once you enable an Exchange server
to be a FE, it stops all the local stores (apparently someone confirmed this
by actually setting the services to manual startup).

What I'm curious about is if there is a way to install the proxy components
(that the FE server uses) without having to install the additional Exchange
services.  Since our external IIS server is just that (a web server) I would
rather not have tons of Exchange services on it whether they are running or
not.

Does anyone have an insight on this matter?  I would greatly appreciate any
information or references to where I could find some.  tia

Travis Butynski

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 18 Nov 2001 10:04:11

>My company currently has an IIS server handling our external web traffic as
>well as our OWA 5.5 processing.  Looking into Exchange 2000 (which we are in
>the process of upgrading to now) it appears that the only way to get OWA off
>from the actual Exchange server is to do a FE/BE configuration.

You can never remove IIS from an E2K server and expect it to function
"normally".

Quote:>Reading up
>on the Front End concept, it appears that once you enable an Exchange server
>to be a FE, it stops all the local stores (apparently someone confirmed this
>by actually setting the services to manual startup).

It doesn't stop them. The mailbox store is necessary if the FE server
is acting as a SMTP server (to generate NDR's and DSN's). You can
certainly remove the information stores from the server and set the IS
to manual.

Quote:>What I'm curious about is if there is a way to install the proxy components
>(that the FE server uses) without having to install the additional Exchange
>services.

No.

Quote:>Since our external IIS server is just that (a web server) I would
>rather not have tons of Exchange services on it whether they are running or
>not.

You can disable most of the serives (including the SA, if you change
the dependancy order in the registry). MS has a FE/BE paper on
www.exinternals.com that might be worth reading.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP