Preventing mail relaying

Post by Robert Dawso » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

How can I check that our Exchange 5.5 server will not relay e-mail and thus
contribute to the spam problem? Only those with an account in our network
domain should be allowed to send mail through our server.

In case it makes a difference, I am dealing with Exchange as part of Small
Business Server v4.5 and our internet connection is persistent.

Preventing mail relaying

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>How can I check that our Exchange 5.5 server will not relay e-mail and thus
>contribute to the spam problem? Only those with an account in our network
>domain should be allowed to send mail through our server.

As much as I don't like these guys, telnet (right from the keyboard of
the Exchange server) to "mail-abuse.org" and it'll run a short test.
It'll fail on test #6 and stop, but if it gets that far your server is
safe.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Preventing mail relaying

Post by Gravy Trai » Tue, 28 Mar 2000 04:00:00

you need to install the service pack 3 for exchange. Then go into the
routing section of 'connections' and you will be able to specify ip ranges
etc that are and are not allowed to send through the mail server.

Im not sure of the url for the service pack but it is available from
microsoft

hope this helps

Dave

Quote:> How can I check that our Exchange 5.5 server will not relay e-mail and

Post by Paul Tayl » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> >How can I check that our Exchange 5.5 server will not relay e-mail and
> thus
> >contribute to the spam problem? Only those with an account in our network
> >domain should be allowed to send mail through our server.

> As much as I don't like these guys, telnet (right from the keyboard of
> the Exchange server) to "mail-abuse.org" and it'll run a short test.
> It'll fail on test #6 and stop, but if it gets that far your server is
> safe.

I hope if it fails it doesn't immediately add you onto their blacklists...

Paul Taylor, Computer Systems Manager
WSP Group plc, London, UK

Preventing mail relaying

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sat, 01 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>> >How can I check that our Exchange 5.5 server will not relay e-mail and
>> thus
>> >contribute to the spam problem? Only those with an account in our network
>> >domain should be allowed to send mail through our server.

>> As much as I don't like these guys, telnet (right from the keyboard of
>> the Exchange server) to "mail-abuse.org" and it'll run a short test.
>> It'll fail on test #6 and stop, but if it gets that far your server is
>> safe.

>I hope if it fails it doesn't immediately add you onto their blacklists...

No, it doesn't. But it is just an abbreviated version of the tests
they'll run. The test is instructive and non-intrusive in that it
doesn't actually send any data, just the RSET, MAIL FROM and RCPT TO
command.

------------------
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Preventing mail relay on Exchange 5.5 SP3 behind Proxy 2.0

Could you guys help me to configure our mail server to prohibit mail
relaying. Before we moved it behind MS Proxy server 2.0 it was working fine,
but now I have no clue where in a registry I would do it. There is no
MSExchangeIMC key in there because I have installed only OWA on Proxy
server. SMTPSVC is stopped to let my Exchange Server's IMC work thru port 25
on IIS.
Thanks in advance.
Vladimir.

2. AUTO DELETE OLD MAIL.

3. Preventing Mail Relay

4. Unix mail to Exchange Server

5. Preventing mail-relay to stop spammers

6. 2nd Virtual SMTP server problem

7. Setting up Exchange Server to prevent mail relaying

8. Sucking down Microsoft news groups

9. Setting up to prevent mail relaying

10. How does one set up Exchange Server to prevent mail relaying?

11. Preventing Spammers from Relaying, But Allowing MY Web Server to Relay

12. Need to prevent Exchange 2000 from Being Used as a Mail Relay in Windows 2000