Multiple POP mail collection for other ISP's

Multiple POP mail collection for other ISP's

Post by Oliver Soliv » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Is there a way to configure Exchange 5.0 to :

1. Automatically collect mails from different ISP's and distribute the
mails to the proper receipients internally via name aliasing? Say I want to

2. Exchange to receive an email then forward it to another email address

residing in my exchnage server. When somebody sends an email to this
address, it will be received by my exchange server mycompany.com and it

3. Add customized messages to exchange's existing error messages like when
the domain is not found or there is a non-existent user in the domain?

I am actually testing different mail servers for our company and so far
exchange seems to perform pretty well.  However, the 3 items above could be
done in one mail server I was testing which proved to be very useful.

Thank you.

Oliver

Multiple POP mail collection for other ISP's

Post by Anthon » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00

1.  No.

2.  Yes.

3.  No.
--
Anthony

> Is there a way to configure Exchange 5.0 to :

> 1. Automatically collect mails from different ISP's and distribute the
> mails to the proper receipients internally via name aliasing? Say I want

> 2. Exchange to receive an email then forward it to another email address

> residing in my exchnage server. When somebody sends an email to this
> address, it will be received by my exchange server mycompany.com and it

> 3. Add customized messages to exchange's existing error messages like
when
> the domain is not found or there is a non-existent user in the domain?

> I am actually testing different mail servers for our company and so far
> exchange seems to perform pretty well.  However, the 3 items above could
be
> done in one mail server I was testing which proved to be very useful.

> Thank you.

> Oliver

Multiple POP mail collection for other ISP's

Post by Oliver Soliv » Thu, 28 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Answers below on specific points:

Quote:> More stuff below.
> --
> Anthony

> If the primary account (or any account with a User role) on mailbox User1
> is User2, then User2 can access the mailbox from any type of client.

Correct. But, say, for Internet Mail (and News package or even Netscape's
mail, I have not tried on Eudora) you have to log on as User1 and not User2
otherwise you'll be going in to User2's mailbox, right?  But the password
for User1 will be the same password for User2, which just doesn't work on
any of the Win95 stations I tried.  Remember that I set the Client for
Microsoft Networks(Win95 station) to log on to the NT domain as User2 which
is the primary windows NT account of User1.  Then how does Win95 handle
authentication exchanges with NT at a point, like say, another program has
to send usernames and passwords?  Also, in this case while logged on to the
domain, I can freely access any mailbox using the Exchange web client but
User2 has no administrative rights, it only has domain user rights.

...took out some of the lines...its becoming too long.

Multiple POP mail collection for other ISP's

Post by Oliver Soliv » Thu, 28 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Got it! Thanks!...and it gets even more interesting...

paragraph) 2 which was to point to another recipient, which was the CR -

its Primary Windows NT  account to an already existing account, user2.  I
did this on the presumption that I can use that user2 account to access the
mailbox of user1. But from Win95 mail clients, everytime I access the user1
mailbox I get authentication errors - access denied. Now my question is:

1. How come I cannot access the user1 mailbox (from the Win95 computer
logged on as user2--authenticated on my NT domain) using the password of
user2? And if that's the case what password does it use?

2. If I use the Exchange web browser in accessing user1 mailbox it does not
prompt me for a password and I can go in? What gives!

3.  Can I just have a single mailbox in such a way that I can configure it
to store all forwarded messages to the different domains of different CR's?

Again, thanks a lot for all your help.  The thread is becoming deeper, any
of you know of a book which covers all of these?

-----

> ..cut..

> address" you specify in the first question asked when you create the
> CR. It would become the Primary SMTP Proxy Address of the mailbox. The

> would become the secondary SMTP Proxy Address of the mailbox). You'd
> have to create the secondary SMTP proxy by adding a new SMTP address
> to the CR. Exchange users would see the CR as just another entry in
> the GAL.
> Richard Matheisen                             Wang Laboratories
> Microsoft Certified System Engineer           Tewksbury, MA

Multiple POP mail collection for other ISP's

Post by Darren Klei » Fri, 29 Aug 1997 04:00:00

 Anyone know how I can add a second e-mail DOMAIN to be handled by Exchange
so that when I create a NEW account both E-Mail address will be used?

I have already configured the DNS part of it.  I have also succesfully added
the second domain by hand by going into the users exchange account on the
server and adding the second e-mail address.

thanks for your help.

1. Multiple POP Mail Collection Via Exchange 2000

We are thinking about installing Exchange 2000 to do the following, is
anyone able to confim if this is possible

Retreive separate users pop mail accounts via Exchange 2000

hosted by ourt hosting provider, we'd like these account to be
collected by Exchange 2000 plus leave a copy of the message on the
hosting server.

Limit inbound collection to only 1 thread at a time
We have a very slow link to the net and we'd like to ensure that it
does not get bogged down sending heaps of messages at the same time.

Limit outbound SMTP sending to only 1 thread at a time
Like above, we'd like to ensure the net connection is not bogged down
with sending multiple mail threads

We know that MDaemon by Deerfield will do this as we've tested it out,
however we'd prefer to use Exchange 2000 as we own a registered copy

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Nigel

2. Signature file using Outlook Web Access

3. Virus in Attachment

4. Routing Restrictions Tab

5. POP Mail Collection from a Group Mailbox???

6. OWA 2000 setup, troubleshooting