Replacing our Old exchange 2000 Server

Post by Fred » Thu, 24 Oct 2002 05:21:14

Hi,

We are getting ready to replace our old exchange 2000 server with a newer
faster machine.  Were should I start in perpareing for this.  I dont want
the users  to loose any mail. I will be replacing this machine at the end of
the work day so the users wont even know this took place.  I was hoping the
machine could even use the older machines name?

Any advice is appreciated.

Fred

Replacing our Old exchange 2000 Server

Post by Ben Winzen » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 05:01:30

Follow this method and you will be golden.  You won't be able to keep the
same server name, but that shouldn't matter.  The link explains why.
http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm

--
Ben Winzenz
Network Engineer

Quote:> Hi,

> We are getting ready to replace our old exchange 2000 server with a newer
> faster machine.  Were should I start in perpareing for this.  I dont want
> the users  to loose any mail. I will be replacing this machine at the end
of
> the work day so the users wont even know this took place.  I was hoping
the
> machine could even use the older machines name?

> Any advice is appreciated.

> Fred

Replacing our Old exchange 2000 Server

Post by Fred » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 05:11:08

Thanks for the info

> Follow this method and you will be golden.  You won't be able to keep the
> same server name, but that shouldn't matter.  The link explains why.
> http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm

> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Network Engineer
> Gardner & White

> > Hi,

> > We are getting ready to replace our old exchange 2000 server with a
newer
> > faster machine.  Were should I start in perpareing for this.  I dont
want
> > the users  to loose any mail. I will be replacing this machine at the
end
> of
> > the work day so the users wont even know this took place.  I was hoping
> the
> > machine could even use the older machines name?

> > Any advice is appreciated.

> > Fred

Replacing our Old exchange 2000 Server

Post by Claudi » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 06:32:24

Ok,

There's something not listed in that link.

I had to do the same and found myself in a situation where the old exchange
even after moving all mailboxes needed to be up in order for the new to be
functional.

I can tell you. But I am sure you can guess.

Let me know.

Post by daro » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:46:55

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>We are getting ready to replace our old exchange 2000
server with a newer
>faster machine.  Were should I start in perpareing for
this.  I dont want
>the users  to loose any mail. I will be replacing this

machine at the end of
Quote:>the work day so the users wont even know this took

place.  I was hoping the
Quote:>machine could even use the older machines name?

>Any advice is appreciated.

>Fred

Double check the mailbox for foreign catalog structures
(those not called Top of Informationstore), we had have
problem restoring those back

Replacing our Old exchange 2000 Server

Post by Murr » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 02:48:25

I'll bite....What are we missing Claudio?

> Ok,

> There's something not listed in that link.

> I had to do the same and found myself in a situation where the old
exchange
> even after moving all mailboxes needed to be up in order for the new to be
> functional.

> I can tell you. But I am sure you can guess.

> Let me know.

> > Thanks for the info

> > > Follow this method and you will be golden.  You won't be able to keep
the
> > > same server name, but that shouldn't matter.  The link explains why.
> > > http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq_appxa.htm

> > > --
> > > Ben Winzenz
> > > Network Engineer
> > > Gardner & White

> > newer
> > want
> > end
> > > of
> > > the

Replacing our Old exchange 2000 Server

Post by Claudi » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 23:50:35

if you do everything that the link tells you do and shut down the old exchange
2000 server, some outlook clinets will feeze up.
and the new exchange might behave  a little funky.

You also has to rehomed the freebusy folder and Ooff line address book to new
server & let ie replicate. There's  an MS article about it.

I wish I had it  but look for the article it tell you more or less that u have
to do it and how.

Good luck!

> I'll bite....What are we missing Claudio?

> > Ok,

> > There's something not listed in that link.

> > I had to do the same and found myself in a situation where the old
> exchange
> > even after moving all mailboxes needed to be up in order for the new to be
> > functional.

> > I can tell you. But I am sure you can guess.

> > Let me know.

> > > Thanks for the info

> the

> > > newer
> > > want
> the
> > > end
> hoping

Replacing our Old exchange 2000 Server

Post by Fred » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 03:04:30

Thanks to all, I need all the help I can get. :)

Quote:> Hi,

> We are getting ready to replace our old exchange 2000 server with a newer
> faster machine.  Were should I start in perpareing for this.  I dont want
> the users  to loose any mail. I will be replacing this machine at the end
of
> the work day so the users wont even know this took place.  I was hoping
the
> machine could even use the older machines name?

> Any advice is appreciated.

> Fred

1. Replacing our Old exchange 2000 Server

Hi,

We are getting ready to replace our old exchange 2000 server with a newer
faster machine.  Were should I start in perpareing for this.  I dont want
the users  to loose any mail. I will be replacing this machine at the end of
the work day so the users wont even know this took place.  I was hoping the
machine could even use the older machines name?

Any advice is appreciated.

Fred

2. Migration Wizard

3. Replacing old Exchange 2000 server

4. Forwarding E-Mail in Exchange 5.5

5. Replacing Old Exchange Servers With New Exchange Servers

6. Exchange Server intercepting outgoing mail

7. Replacing old Exchange Server with a New Server

8. migrating Exch 2K mailboxes to a different Exch 2K

9. Replace old exchange server to new one

10. Need help replacing old exchange server.

11. Replace old exchange-server

12. Replacing old exchange 5.5 server

13. Replace old exchange server