Please help, How to set Exchange 5.5 to receive POP mail from other POP server

Please help, How to set Exchange 5.5 to receive POP mail from other POP server

Post by Wei K » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I have just install Exchange 5.5 for our internal office use, and also
signed up with a service provider to provide us the internet mail
services,

Can Exchange 5.5 be set to retrive the Internet POP mail from my
service provider, and put it to the user mail box so that every time
the user signon to Exchange, they will have all the internal and
Internet mail.

Please advice

Regards
Wei Kee

Please help, How to set Exchange 5.5 to receive POP mail from other POP server

Post by Darin R Cam » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Can Exchange 5.5 be set to retrive the Internet POP mail from my
>service provider, and put it to the user mail box so that every time
>the user signon to Exchange, they will have all the internal and
>Internet mail.

Ask the ISP to help you configure your site to use ETRN (or TURN) to
retrieve messages from their SMTP hosts.

Darin....

Please help, How to set Exchange 5.5 to receive POP mail from other POP server

Post by Clark, Wallac » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

My only successful experience with this scenario was to use POP3Gatway
from J.A. KORSMEYER, INC. You can download a trial version from:
http://www.jak.com
Posted At: Thursday, November 12, 1998 4:40 AM
Posted To: admin
Conversation: Please help, How to set Exchange 5.5 to receive POP mail
from other POP server
Subject: Please help, How to set Exchange 5.5 to receive POP mail from
other POP server

Hi,

I have just install Exchange 5.5 for our internal office use, and also
signed up with a service provider to provide us the internet mail
services,

Can Exchange 5.5 be set to retrive the Internet POP mail from my
service provider, and put it to the user mail box so that every time
the user signon to Exchange, they will have all the internal and
Internet mail.

Please advice

Regards
Wei Kee

Please help, How to set Exchange 5.5 to receive POP mail from other POP server

Post by Richard Brenna » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

The Internet Mail Service (included in standard edition Exchange 5.x and MS
Small Business Server products) can allow Exchange to be an Internet Mail
(SMTP) server.  You will need your own domain name, such as
"yourcompany.com".  Your ISP will need to give your Exchange server a
permanent IP address, and publish DNS entries onto the internet telling the

Large organizations will directly connect the exchange server to the
internet, so all day that server sends and receives mail for your domain
name.

Smaller organizations that do not have such a high speed direct connection,
will need to partner with their ISP to send and receive mail via a dial up
connection.  In this arrangement, the ISP publishes DNS entries on the
internet that causes all mail for "youccompany.com" to be passed to their
mail server.  Their server holds (queues) the mail, until your Exchange
server dials up and gives a command (ETRN) for the ISP mail server to   send
(dequeue) the mail to the Exchange Server.

This arrangement requires either an ISP that has experience working with
Exchange (i.e. you aren't the first customer to ask for all this special
treatment), or an ISP with which you have a very good working relationship.
Many ISP's won't have a clue what you are trying to do, and won't want to go
to all that configuration effort for little ol' you.   (Especially since
once the thing is configured all you need is one account, for the mail
server. All other mail accounts are created by you in Exchange.)

Details can be found here:

http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_smtp.htm

Exchange cannot dial up to your ISP an pick up mail in multitudes of
mailboxes ON THE ISP, and deposit them into your employees Exchange
mailboxes.  It takes POP3 client software (Eudora, Outlook, etc.) to connect
to an ISP client mailbox.  Exchange is a SERVER product, and will only do
server to server communication with your ISP.   There are third party
products that attempt to do that, but they do not have a very reliable track
record at this time.

// Richard Brennan

>Can Exchange 5.5 be set to retrive the Internet POP mail from my
>service provider, and put it to the user mail box so that every time
>the user signon to Exchange, they will have all the internal and
>Internet mail.

1. Please Help, How to setup Exchange 5.5 to received POP3 mail from other POP server

Hi,

I have just install Exchange 5.5 for our internal office use, and also
signed up with a service provider to provide us the internet mail
services,

Can Exchange 5.5 be set to retrive the Internet POP mail from my
service provider, and put it to the user mail box so that every time
the user signon to Exchange, they will have all the internal and
Internet mail.

Please help

Regards
Wei Kee

2. Unix POP3 and Exchange POP3 for same domain

3. Getting POP mail from other POP server to Exchange

4. help

5. Problem receiving mail from Exchange 5.0 POP-server

6. E2K for multiple domain

7. Exchange server receive POP mail

8. Mildly OT: MCSE

9. PLEASE HELP! SMTP and POP server question

10. pop mail question please help

11. Leave Message on POP-Server PLEASE HELP!

12. POP Mail Internally and externally, Please Help

13. Setting up of POP mail server?