2 backend server and 1 front end

Post by Tony » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 08:29:19

I just added another backend server to my test exchange 2k enviroment.
Question is how do I configure IIS on the fron end server which works fine
with the 1st back end server to authenticate users with mailboxes on the 2nd
exchange server?

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 09 Mar 2003 11:46:59

>I just added another backend server to my test exchange 2k enviroment.
>Question is how do I configure IIS on the fron end server which works fine
>with the 1st back end server to authenticate users with mailboxes on the 2nd
>exchange server?

You shouldn't have to do a thing. The FE server asks the AD to
authenticate the credentials.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

2 backend server and 1 front end

Post by Tony » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 01:29:31

i can log in via owa but all I am seeing is a directory of users. I am not
getting the owa interface.

any idea?

I have configured IIS on my backend serrver #2 to be the same as the backend
server #1

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:12:38

>i can log in via owa but all I am seeing is a directory of users. I am not
>getting the owa interface.

>any idea?

Sounds like you have "directory browsing" permission on the virtual
directory and not much else. Check the "Access" tab on the "Exchange"
virtual directory beneath the default HTTP virtual server in Exchange
System manager.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

1. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

I have recently implemented a FE/BE configuration for security reasons.  OWA
works perfectly when connecting to the front end.  But, if someone using
IMAP or POP when attaching to the FE, the Client (we are using Outlook
express) gives an error like the following:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by

Subject '', Account: 'IMAP Mail', Server: '192.168.1.92', Protocol: SMTP,

Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Now, the BE server has been configured for SMTP relay for a while, and IMAP
and POP3 works fine if you connect to it.  But the FE is the problem.  I
read some posts about setting up a Smart Host in SMTP, but I didn't know
exactly what they meant and I tried it and it didn't work on the FE and BE.
I also configured the FE SMTP relay exactly the same as the BE relay.

Any suggestions on how to set this up?  Or where I went wrong?

Thank you

            -Daric Smith

2. Internet Mail won't setup -80040154

3. Front end / Backend servers

4. Wrong MIME format?

5. Front end and Backend Server

6. Missing Email

7. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

8. Download then upgrade, now what

9. BETA: E2K3 Front end with E2K Backend Server

10. OWA Front End BAckend Server specs for 500Users

11. Front End (FE/BE) Backend Server SMTP Relay For IMAP Clients

12. No Front-End Server Checkbox for Font/Backend Configuration

13. Ex SP3 upgrade, backend/front end upg order query