Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by edit » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I am having a hard time of managing the Priv.edb file. I know it contains
all the  users mail. However, it is getting bigger and bigger which may use
up all the space. So, I am thinking is there any harmless way of  reducing
the size of  the file.

All my clients are using MS Outlook to read their message. I am wondering if
my concept about the
storage on the exchange server is right, please correct me if I am wrong.

If a user delete their mail on the Outlook, is it directly delete mail on
their mailbox on the Exchange
Server, however, the Exchange have a function "Delete Item Retention time"
which will permanent delete the
"Deleted mail from the user"???

Also, if the user want to have a copy of their mail, they have to use
"Import/Export" function under the
File menu to get a snap shot of their email. Is that right?

If I stop the exchange service and rename the old Priv.edb file. Then when I
restart the service, a new
Priv.edb will automatically be generated. So, I still have a copy of all the
old email and have a new
Priv.edb which I will also put storage and Send/Receive limits on it for
avoiding the same
problem occur. Is it possible for me to do this way???

If I set a limit on Send/Receive and Storage on each mailbox, so when users
reach their limit, they simply delete old mail will give let them
send/receive mail again???

I am working in a software house, my clients need to attach program and send
it to their client. So, the
size of the Priv.edb is growing fast.

thank you for any advices!!

Edith

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am having a hard time of managing the Priv.edb file. I know it contains
> all the  users mail. However, it is getting bigger and bigger which may use
> up all the space. So, I am thinking is there any harmless way of  reducing
> the size of  the file.

Stop it from growing by imposing limits on mailboxes. This eventually will force
your users to clean out junk.

Quote:> All my clients are using MS Outlook to read their message. I am wondering if
> my concept about the
> storage on the exchange server is right, please correct me if I am wrong.

It is right thing to store mail on server where it is kept in database with
single-instance storage and backups.

Quote:

> If a user delete their mail on the Outlook, is it directly delete mail on
> their mailbox on the Exchange
> Server, however, the Exchange have a function "Delete Item Retention time"

If you enable it and set retention time to 365 days you will have problems.

Quote:

> which will permanent delete the
> "Deleted mail from the user"???

> Also, if the user want to have a copy of their mail, they have to use
> "Import/Export" function under the
> File menu to get a snap shot of their email. Is that right?

Yep.

Quote:> If I stop the exchange service and rename the old Priv.edb file. Then when I
> restart the service, a new
> Priv.edb will automatically be generated.

Yes.

Quote:> So, I still have a copy of all the
> old email and have a new
> Priv.edb which I will also put storage and Send/Receive limits on it for
> avoiding the same
> problem occur.

No. You will loose Single Instance Storage and thus priv.edb will be bigger.

Quote:> Is it possible for me to do this way???

Yes.

Quote:

> If I set a limit on Send/Receive and Storage on each mailbox, so when users
> reach their limit, they simply delete old mail will give let them
> send/receive mail again???

Yes, This is right thing.

Quote:

> I am working in a software house, my clients need to attach program and send
> it to their client. So, the
> size of the Priv.edb is growing fast.

Make then use FTP.

Quote:

--
Questions will not be answered via e-mail.

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by edit » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

when I set the "Delete retention limit" is 1. When I click the properties od
the Private Information Store. There is a tab called "Mailbox Reasource". I
still see there are a lot of  K in each user mailbox. I except it will be
empty 0K. Why does it happen???

Edith

> > Hi,

> > I am having a hard time of managing the Priv.edb file. I know it
contains
> > all the  users mail. However, it is getting bigger and bigger which may
use
> > up all the space. So, I am thinking is there any harmless way of
reducing
> > the size of  the file.

> Stop it from growing by imposing limits on mailboxes. This eventually will
force
> your users to clean out junk.

> > All my clients are using MS Outlook to read their message. I am
wondering if
> > my concept about the
> > storage on the exchange server is right, please correct me if I am
wrong.

> It is right thing to store mail on server where it is kept in database
with
> single-instance storage and backups.

> > If a user delete their mail on the Outlook, is it directly delete mail
on
> > their mailbox on the Exchange
> > Server, however, the Exchange have a function "Delete Item Retention
time"

> If you enable it and set retention time to 365 days you will have
problems.

> > which will permanent delete the
> > "Deleted mail from the user"???

> > Also, if the user want to have a copy of their mail, they have to use
> > "Import/Export" function under the
> > File menu to get a snap shot of their email. Is that right?

> Yep.

> > If I stop the exchange service and rename the old Priv.edb file. Then
when I
> > restart the service, a new
> > Priv.edb will automatically be generated.

> Yes.

> > So, I still have a copy of all the
> > old email and have a new
> > Priv.edb which I will also put storage and Send/Receive limits on it for
> > avoiding the same
> > problem occur.

> No. You will loose Single Instance Storage and thus priv.edb will be
bigger.

> > Is it possible for me to do this way???

> Yes.

> > If I set a limit on Send/Receive and Storage on each mailbox, so when
users
> > reach their limit, they simply delete old mail will give let them
> > send/receive mail again???

> Yes, This is right thing.

> > I am working in a software house, my clients need to attach program and
send
> > it to their client. So, the
> > size of the Priv.edb is growing fast.

> Make then use FTP.

> > thank you for any advices!!

> > Edith

> --
> Questions will not be answered via e-mail.

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> when I set the "Delete retention limit" is 1.

As far as I know that means 1 day retention time.

Quote:> When I click the properties od
> the Private Information Store. There is a tab called "Mailbox Reasource". I
> still see there are a lot of  K in each user mailbox. I except it will be
> empty 0K.

Why you expect this?

Quote:> Why does it happen???

--
Questions will not be answered via e-mail.

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by edit » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

It is because 0 k means the exchange server has deleted all the unwanted
email. That's what I think. So, how do I know it is deleted or not? and how
do I know the used space has been free??

Edith

> > when I set the "Delete retention limit" is 1.

> As far as I know that means 1 day retention time.

> > When I click the properties od
> > the Private Information Store. There is a tab called "Mailbox
Reasource". I
> > still see there are a lot of  K in each user mailbox. I except it will
be
> > empty 0K.

> Why you expect this?

> > Why does it happen???

> > Edith

> > <snip>

> --
> Questions will not be answered via e-mail.

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by Bevan B » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Make sure you have IS maintence running run and then. (Online Defrag). If it
isn't set it to run and do a Offline Defrag after it. Reduced my priv.edb
from 500MB+ to 150MB, which was more realistic.

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by edit » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Yes, the Information Store is running, but when is the Online Defrag
located???? when I find it, how to implement it??? Please I need a detail
step!!
thank you

Edith

Quote:> Make sure you have IS maintence running run and then. (Online Defrag). If
it
> isn't set it to run and do a Offline Defrag after it. Reduced my priv.edb
> from 500MB+ to 150MB, which was more realistic.

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by edit » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Still I don't get the answer that when a user delete their email, it is
directly delete from their mailbox, and it would reduce the size of
Priv.edb??/

Thanks!!

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by Amiri Jon » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Still I don't get the answer that when a user delete their email, it is
>directly delete from their mailbox, and it would reduce the size of
>Priv.edb??/

        No.  When all references to a message have been deleted, the space
occupied by the message in the database (PRIV.EDB) is marked as available,
but is not returned to the file system (PRIV.EDB does not get smaller).  By
default, once a day, Exchange will perform an online defragmentation that
consolidates all white space created by deleted messages into a single
block, but again, it does not return that space to the file system.
Instead, it holds onto that space for future reuse.
        The only way to shrink the PRIV.EDB file is through offline
defragmentation.  You must stop the Information Store service and run
ESEUTIL with the appropriate flags (/D /ISPRIV, I believe), and you should
have free space on the drive containing PRIV.EDB equal to at least 110
percent of the size of PRIV.EDB.  However, unless you are really hard up
for drive space, you've deleted a large number of mailboxes, or Exchange
performance has taken a nosedive, I wouldn't worry about it.  In all
likelihood, that space will be reused.

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by Logan Bur » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Are they only deleting it from their inbox or other folder?  If so, it has
simply been moved to the Deleted Items folder.  Go into the deleted items
folder and delete the messages again.  This will be a permanent deletion
that will reduce the size of the mailbox.

Another problem could be the Sent Items folder.  Have your users clean it
out as well, then delete those items from the Deleted Items folder.

Also (and please correct me if I'm wrong, Kirill), if the same message is
sent to multiple recipients, single-instance storage means that only one
copy of that message is taking up room in your PRIV.EDB, and all recipients
simply have pointers to it.  Thus, if a message with a large attachment in
it is sent to several recipients on your server, it will not actually
disappear from your PRIV.EDB until All recipients have deleted it from
their mailboxes.

Hope this helps,

Logan Burt

> Still I don't get the answer that when a user delete their email, it is
> directly delete from their mailbox, and it would reduce the size of
> Priv.edb??/

> Thanks!!

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by Amiri Jon » Sat, 23 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>Also (and please correct me if I'm wrong, Kirill), if the same message
>is sent to multiple recipients, single-instance storage means that only
>one copy of that message is taking up room in your PRIV.EDB, and all
>recipients simply have pointers to it.  Thus, if a message with a large
>attachment in it is sent to several recipients on your server, it will
>not actually disappear from your PRIV.EDB until All recipients have
>deleted it from their mailboxes.

        This is how single-instance storage works...

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by edit » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Thank you Amiri Jones and Logan Burt. Thank you so much, your reply is very
detail and helpful. Thanks again!!!!

So, regarding Amiri's reply, after the "deleted retention time" is expired.
All deleted Items will permanent deleted and free up some space on Priv.edb
but it won't display it to you. also, the space in Priv.edb will be reused
by the Exchange, right?!

Edith

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by Michael Abbaticchi » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Sending large files via e-mail will kill your server.  Set up an ftp site
dedicated for exchanging large files.

--

Michael A. Abbaticchio

Priv.edb is getting bigger...

Post by Amiri Jon » Tue, 26 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Thank you Amiri Jones and Logan Burt. Thank you so much, your reply is
>very detail and helpful. Thanks again!!!!

>So, regarding Amiri's reply, after the "deleted retention time" is
>expired. All deleted Items will permanent deleted and free up some space
>on Priv.edb but it won't display it to you. also, the space in Priv.edb
>will be reused by the Exchange, right?!

        After an item's deleted item retention period has elapsed, the item
will no longer be available for recovery through the Recover Deleted Items
interface.  Whether or not it is still in the database is a function of
whether or not all pointers to the item have been deleted.  If all pointers
have been deleted, then during the next online maintenance, that item's
space will be reclaimed.  This space will be reused as necessary for new
items.  The only time the size of PRIV.EDB (or PUB.EDB) will shrink is if
you do an offline defragmentation.

1. Run EseUtil Across the Network when Priv.edb Gets Too big

I need to know if this article applies to the new EseUtil Utility in
Exchange 5.5 because I have the same problem with my Priv.edb Datase (It
gets to big)

 - Microsoft Exchange Server version 4.0

SUMMARY
=======

The Priv.edb file can become larger than 50 percent of the hard disk space.
In this situation, edbutil /d cannot be run on the computer. You may have
to find a computer with hard disk drive space greater than twice the size
of the Priv.edb file. However, there are situations in which the Priv.edb
file becomes so big that you do not have a computer with enough hard disk
drive space to run edbutil. In this situation, the workaround is to run
edbutil across the network

MORE INFORMATION
================

To run edbutil and output the resulting file on a remote computer:

1. Back up the Priv.edb file to tape.

2. Find a Windows NT computer with free hard disk drive space equal to the
   size of the Priv.edb file.

3. Map a drive (in the example below, the F drive) to a computer on the
   network that has the needed free space.

4. Do one of the following:

    - From the Exchsrvr\bin subdirectory, carry out the following command:

         Edbutil /d /ispriv /tf:\tempdfrg.edb

   -OR-

   a. Change to the newly mapped network drive.

   b. Set the path to the Exchsrvr\bin subdirectory:

         path c:\exchsrvr\bin

   c. Carry out the following command:

         Edbutil /d /ispriv

      When the above command is carried out, a Tempdfrg.edb file is created
      on the remote drive.

NOTE: Because the Priv.edb file is being written to as the defragmentation
occurs, any network problems can lead to corruption in the Priv.edb file,
and the corruption would lead to the need to restore the backup created in
step 1. The /p switch can also be used to avoid problems with corruption of
the original Priv.edb file in case of a problem with the network or either
computer during defragmentation.
Keywords          : XADM kbnetwork kbusage
Version           : winnt:4.0
Platform          : winnt
Issue type        : kbhowto kbinfo
=
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.

Joel Cancel Nieves, MCSE

2. Upgrading to Enterprise

3. Priv.edb has gotten too big for allocated space on drive

4. Controlling display names

5. priv.edb getting too big too fast

6. Exhcange 5.5 CALs

7. Priv.edb too big!!!

8. How to STOP mass e-mail to entire company!! HELP!!

9. Priv.edb too big!

10. My priv.edb is anormally big

11. priv.edb 90GB too big!

12. Priv.edb too big