Outlook 2000 Outbound Message Attachments

Outlook 2000 Outbound Message Attachments

Post by Jay Gourle » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I upgraded my clients from Outlook 98 to Outlook 2000 at the same time I
upgraded my server from Exchange Server 5.0 to Exchange Server 5.5.
Immediately after the upgrade, outbound messages with attachments started
losing their attachments.  Not all of them.  In fact there is no
identifiable pattern, except that this problem did not exist before the
conversion.  Certain attachments are invariably stripped off others are not.
It's not the type of attachment either.  The attachment seems to disappear
while the message window is still open and Outlook 2000 is processing the
message after the user clicks on "Send".   Does anyone have any ideas on
what could be causing this problem or where I should look?  Thanks.  Please

Outlook 2000 Outbound Message Attachments

Post by Jay Gourle » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I upgraded my clients from Outlook 98 to Outlook 2000 at the same time I
upgraded my server from Exchange Server 5.0 to Exchange Server 5.5.
Immediately after the upgrade, outbound messages with attachments started
losing their attachments.  Not all of them.  In fact there is no
identifiable pattern, except that this problem did not exist before the
conversion.  Certain attachments are invariably stripped off others are not.
It's not the type of attachment either.  The attachment seems to disappear
while the message window is still open and Outlook 2000 is processing the
message after the user clicks on "Send".   Does anyone have any ideas on
what could be causing this problem or where I should look?  Thanks.  Please

Outlook 2000 Outbound Message Attachments

Post by David Sengupt » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Was this a beta version?  RC1?  What build number?

--
David Sengupta, MCP
Sengupta at ncf dot ca

>I upgraded my clients from Outlook 98 to Outlook 2000 at the same time I
>upgraded my server from Exchange Server 5.0 to Exchange Server 5.5.
>Immediately after the upgrade, outbound messages with attachments started
>losing their attachments.  Not all of them.  In fact there is no
>identifiable pattern, except that this problem did not exist before the
>conversion.  Certain attachments are invariably stripped off others are
not.
>It's not the type of attachment either.  The attachment seems to disappear
>while the message window is still open and Outlook 2000 is processing the
>message after the user clicks on "Send".   Does anyone have any ideas on
>what could be causing this problem or where I should look?  Thanks.  Please

Outlook 2000 Outbound Message Attachments

Post by Jay Gourle » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Exchange 5.5 is build 2448.8 SP2.  Outlook 2000 is Ver. 9.0.0.2711
(corporate or workgroup).  What do you think?

> Was this a beta version?  RC1?  What build number?

> --
> David Sengupta, MCP
> Sengupta at ncf dot ca

> >I upgraded my clients from Outlook 98 to Outlook 2000 at the same time I
> >upgraded my server from Exchange Server 5.0 to Exchange Server 5.5.
> >Immediately after the upgrade, outbound messages with attachments started
> >losing their attachments.  Not all of them.  In fact there is no
> >identifiable pattern, except that this problem did not exist before the
> >conversion.  Certain attachments are invariably stripped off others are
> not.
> >It's not the type of attachment either.  The attachment seems to
disappear
> >while the message window is still open and Outlook 2000 is processing the
> >message after the user clicks on "Send".   Does anyone have any ideas on
> >what could be causing this problem or where I should look?  Thanks.
Please

Outlook 2000 Outbound Message Attachments

Post by Ole Thomse » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Did you check the max. messagesize on IMS?

Ole Thomsen

> I upgraded my clients from Outlook 98 to Outlook 2000 at the same time I
> upgraded my server from Exchange Server 5.0 to Exchange Server 5.5.
> Immediately after the upgrade, outbound messages with attachments started
> losing their attachments.  Not all of them.  In fact there is no
> identifiable pattern, except that this problem did not exist before the
> conversion.  Certain attachments are invariably stripped off others are not.
> It's not the type of attachment either.  The attachment seems to disappear
> while the message window is still open and Outlook 2000 is processing the
> message after the user clicks on "Send".   Does anyone have any ideas on
> what could be causing this problem or where I should look?  Thanks.  Please

Outlook 2000 Outbound Message Attachments

Post by Jay Gourle » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Yes, I did ensure there is no maximum message size.  However, your question
raises a question in my mind.  If I were to set a message size limit that
someone exceeded, wouldn't he get some kind of notice to that effect from
the Exchange Server?  The only thing worse than a confusing failure
notification is no no notification at all.

Post by Rich Matheis » Sat, 05 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Yes, I did ensure there is no maximum message size.  However, your question
>raises a question in my mind.  If I were to set a message size limit that
>someone exceeded, wouldn't he get some kind of notice to that effect from
>the Exchange Server?

Yes, you would.

Quote:>The only thing worse than a confusing failure
>notification is no no notification at all.

Can you verify that the message is actually lacking the attachment? Is
it possible that the recipient's client software simply doesn't see
the attachment? Or that the receiving SMTP server discards it (for
whatever reason)? It may be a problem with the IMS sending a message
formatted in a fashion that the receiving SMTP server doesn't
understand or processes incorrectly.

Have you installed SP2 on the Exchange 5.5 server? How about the
Post-SP2 hot fixes (STR-fix and ESE-fix [shouldn't affect this problem
but it does contain an important correction])?

Using the "Message Archival" category of the IMS's "Diagnostics
Logging" will place the message into the imcdata\out\archive directory
where it can be examined.

Using the "SMTP Protocol Log" category (set to Maximum) will show you
the dialog and data exchanged between the two SMTP servers (I assume
we're talking about SMTP when you said "outside messages" have the
problem).

If you can see the MIMEor UUENCODEd attachment in the archive
directory, and that data appears in the SMTP protocol log, then you
need to find out if the problem is generalized (may e-mail domains
lose the attachment) or localized (only a few e-mail domains lose the
attachment). If it's localized then the problem may be at the
receiving domain and you can try switching from MIME to UUENCODE for
that domain.

If the problem's generalized then involving MS would be the right
approach to resolving the problem.

Rich Matheisen
MCSE, Exchange MVP