Single recipient sent, multiple recipients received

Single recipient sent, multiple recipients received

Post by J. J. Irwi » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

I'm having a problem.  Users are swearing up and down they are sending
messages to a single recipient, but dozens are receiving it.  It seems
to be limited to one batch of users/recipients.

Could this be sign of corruption in the directory store?

I don't want to turn logging on due to drive space/performance  issues,
except as a last resort.

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> I'm having a problem.  Users are swearing up and down they are sending
> messages to a single recipient, but dozens are receiving it.  It seems
> to be limited to one batch of users/recipients.

What do you mean by saying "one batch of users/recipients"?

Quote:

> Could this be sign of corruption in the directory store?

> I don't want to turn logging on due to drive space/performance  issues,
> except as a last resort.

Use message tracking logs - they are created anyway.

Single recipient sent, multiple recipients received

Post by Douglas Buchana » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Look for the easiest answer first. I've seen cases where users are typing a
name and it AutoChecks it to a Distribution List. The user is not really
paying attention and it gets sent as such. More often than not, this stems
from allowing a comma as the address separator in Outlook. So, what I'm
basically saying is that I'd check what the client's doing first and look at
their machine's configuration.

Quote:> I'm having a problem.  Users are swearing up and down they are sending

Post by J. J. Irwi » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> > I'm having a problem.  Users are swearing up and down they are
> sending
> > messages to a single recipient, but dozens are receiving it.  It
> seems
> > to be limited to one batch of users/recipients.

> What do you mean by saying "one batch of users/recipients"?

I've got 2500 potential users.  Of those, about 15 are having this
problem, always the same 15, always sending to each other.  I know it
sounds like an address book problem, but these people don't even know
each other.

Single recipient sent, multiple recipients received

Post by Chris Schar » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Can you consistently reproduce the problem then?

>> > I'm having a problem.  Users are swearing up and down they are
>> sending
>> > messages to a single recipient, but dozens are receiving it.  It
>> seems
>> > to be limited to one batch of users/recipients.

>> What do you mean by saying "one batch of users/recipients"?

>I've got 2500 potential users.  Of those, about 15 are having this
>problem, always the same 15, always sending to each other.  I know it
>sounds like an address book problem, but these people don't even know
>each other.

Single recipient sent, multiple recipients received

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:00:00

What about Douglas' idea (Distribution List)?
Is the problem reproduceable (you can make it happen on demand)?
If they type in To field

does the message go to several users or just one?