Q: Redundant Exchange Server?

Post by Jeff Griffit » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Is there a way to have a redundant EX server in a domain that will act
as a "backup" for the primary EX server when it is inactive?  I am not
looking for a fail over (that could be done in DNS I think) but a way
to keep the two priv.edb's  in sync.  Could it be done with some sort
of STMP relay from one server to the other?

Jeff
------------------------------
Jeff Griffiths
Network Engineer
Schreeder, Wheeler & Flint, LLP
Atlanta, GA USA
--------------------------------

Post by Tom Shav » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Is there a way to have a redundant EX server in a domain that will act
>as a "backup" for the primary EX server when it is inactive?  I am not
>looking for a fail over (that could be done in DNS I think) but a way
>to keep the two priv.edb's  in sync.  Could it be done with some sort
>of STMP relay from one server to the other?

>Jeff

I think you just want to install Exch server on another box, and have
it 'join' the existing site. The new Exch server will get all the data
replicated to it.

Q: Redundant Exchange Server?

Post by Tom Shav » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I think you just want to install Exch server on another box, and have
>it 'join' the existing site. The new Exch server will get all the data
>replicated to it.

Nope, I was wrong. Sorry :-(. Asked some colleagues, we don't know how
to do it either...

Tom Shaver

Q: Redundant Exchange Server?

Post by Jeff Griffit » Fri, 18 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Thanks for the responses.  Looks like this thread is not going to give
me the answer I need though.

Jeff
------------------------------

Post by Amiri Jone » Wed, 30 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Is there a way to have a redundant EX server in a domain that will act
>as a "backup" for the primary EX server when it is inactive?  I am not
>looking for a fail over (that could be done in DNS I think) but a way
>to keep the two priv.edb's  in sync.  Could it be done with some sort
>of STMP relay from one server to the other?

    The MS solution to that is the Enterprise Editions of NT4 and Exchange
5.5.  NT4EE provides MS Cluster Server, a 2-node failover cluster (that's
what you're describing).  There are also other third party clustering
failover solutions available, but I don't have any names.

1. Exchange 2000 Setup Qs

We are just starting the research on how to setup E2k. I have 2 questions
(so far) if anyone can help.
We have 200 users currently on  MSMAIL 3.5 and running on a Netware 5.0
server.

1. What is the best config for the drives? (IE: 1 for journaling, 1 OS, etc)
2. Is there any upgrade path from MSMAIL 3.5 to Exchange 2000?
3.

2. Please help with what (i think is) a recipient policy problem

3. Exchange 2000 Redundant servers over a WAN?

4. Can't create item

5. Redundant Exchange Server

6. Internet Mail

7. CDO Finding a Message