Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by James Arnol » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

All of a sudden, anyone that is on a remote Domain, logging into Exchange,
gets a NT style logon window.  ID, Domain and password.  All these people
have the proper NT accounts listed in their mailbox and we have 2 way trusts
with all of the remote domains.  This started happening yesterday, for no
apparent reason.  If they enter the correct info, it comes back and says the
logon credentials were incorrect, yet if you hit cancel 2 or 3 times, they
get access to their mailbox with no more problems.  Has anyone seen this
one??  Too weird....

--
Jamie Arnold
Lead Programmer/Network Admin

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by Chris Schar » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

DNS or WINS issue? Possibly an issue with the PDC which the Exchange
server uses to authenticate users? What do you see in the event log?

>All of a sudden, anyone that is on a remote Domain, logging into Exchange,
>gets a NT style logon window.  ID, Domain and password.  All these people
>have the proper NT accounts listed in their mailbox and we have 2 way trusts
>with all of the remote domains.  This started happening yesterday, for no
>apparent reason.  If they enter the correct info, it comes back and says the
>logon credentials were incorrect, yet if you hit cancel 2 or 3 times, they
>get access to their mailbox with no more problems.  Has anyone seen this
>one??  Too weird....

Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by James Arnol » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

That's the problem....nothing out of the ordinary in any of the event logs.
We did have our WINS servers *after updating to SP4, we've since
reverted to SP3 and after some tweaking the databases we were able to get
stuff moving again.  The clients start Outlook and get their mail, they just
get 2 of these logon boxes that can be cancelled.  It started 2 days after
we got WINS up again, and I removed a Exchange server via a site connector.
(test server)

>DNS or WINS issue? Possibly an issue with the PDC which the Exchange
>server uses to authenticate users? What do you see in the event log?

>>All of a sudden, anyone that is on a remote Domain, logging into Exchange,
>>gets a NT style logon window.  ID, Domain and password.  All these people
>>have the proper NT accounts listed in their mailbox and we have 2 way
trusts
>>with all of the remote domains.  This started happening yesterday, for no
>>apparent reason.  If they enter the correct info, it comes back and says
the
>>logon credentials were incorrect, yet if you hit cancel 2 or 3 times, they
>>get access to their mailbox with no more problems.  Has anyone seen this
>>one??  Too weird....

>Chris Scharff
>Exchange Administrator
>BV Solutions Group

>#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by James Arnol » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

One other thing.....Anyone that authenticates on the domain that exchange is
on does not get these boxes, just people authenticating on other, trusted
domains...did I already state that??

>DNS or WINS issue? Possibly an issue with the PDC which the Exchange
>server uses to authenticate users? What do you see in the event log?

>>All of a sudden, anyone that is on a remote Domain, logging into Exchange,
>>gets a NT style logon window.  ID, Domain and password.  All these people
>>have the proper NT accounts listed in their mailbox and we have 2 way
trusts
>>with all of the remote domains.  This started happening yesterday, for no
>>apparent reason.  If they enter the correct info, it comes back and says
the
>>logon credentials were incorrect, yet if you hit cancel 2 or 3 times, they
>>get access to their mailbox with no more problems.  Has anyone seen this
>>one??  Too weird....

>Chris Scharff
>Exchange Administrator
>BV Solutions Group

>#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by James Arnol » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

One other thing.....Anyone that authenticates on the domain that
exchange is
on does not get these boxes, just people authenticating on other,
trusted
domains...did I already state that??

>DNS or WINS issue? Possibly an issue with the PDC which the Exchange
>server uses to authenticate users? What do you see in the event log?

>>All of a sudden, anyone that is on a remote Domain, logging into
Exchange,
>>gets a NT style logon window.  ID, Domain and password.  All these
people
>>have the proper NT accounts listed in their mailbox and we have 2 way
trusts
>>with all of the remote domains.  This started happening yesterday, for
no
>>apparent reason.  If they enter the correct info, it comes back and

says
the
Quote:>>logon credentials were incorrect, yet if you hit cancel 2 or 3 times,
they
>>get access to their mailbox with no more problems.  Has anyone seen
this
>>one??  Too weird....

>Chris Scharff
>Exchange Administrator
>BV Solutions Group

>#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by James Arnol » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

That's the problem....nothing out of the ordinary in any of the event
logs.
We did have our WINS servers *after updating to SP4, we've since
reverted to SP3 and after some tweaking the databases we were able to
get
stuff moving again.  The clients start Outlook and get their mail, they
just
get 2 of these logon boxes that can be cancelled.  It started 2 days
after
we got WINS up again, and I removed a Exchange server via a site
connector.
(test server)

>DNS or WINS issue? Possibly an issue with the PDC which the Exchange
>server uses to authenticate users? What do you see in the event log?

>>All of a sudden, anyone that is on a remote Domain, logging into
Exchange,
>>gets a NT style logon window.  ID, Domain and password.  All these
people
>>have the proper NT accounts listed in their mailbox and we have 2 way
trusts
>>with all of the remote domains.  This started happening yesterday, for
no
>>apparent reason.  If they enter the correct info, it comes back and

says
the
Quote:>>logon credentials were incorrect, yet if you hit cancel 2 or 3 times,
they
>>get access to their mailbox with no more problems.  Has anyone seen
this
>>one??  Too weird....

>Chris Scharff
>Exchange Administrator
>BV Solutions Group

>#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by Chris Schar » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Well, I was kind of leaning towards a WINS issue, and the fact your
WINS server choked isn't reducing my suspicions. Does this issue
affect all of your users or is it limited to certain users, locations
or subnets?

>That's the problem....nothing out of the ordinary in any of the event logs.
>We did have our WINS servers *after updating to SP4, we've since
>reverted to SP3 and after some tweaking the databases we were able to get
>stuff moving again.  The clients start Outlook and get their mail, they just
>get 2 of these logon boxes that can be cancelled.  It started 2 days after
>we got WINS up again, and I removed a Exchange server via a site connector.
>(test server)

Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by James Arnol » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Appears to be all users on certain subnets.  For example, one domain called
Adminbldg, is on, lets say, network 35 (XXX.XXX.35.XXX) statically addressed
subnet.  My Exchange stuff is on 100.xxx (clustered)  Anyone on the 35
subnet gets these pop-ups and some people are having trouble sending mail.
They hit F5 and it goes into a loop.  I'm sure if I (we) can figure out
what's wrong here (subnet 35) that the others will be the same.

Thanks

>Well, I was kind of leaning towards a WINS issue, and the fact your
>WINS server choked isn't reducing my suspicions. Does this issue
>affect all of your users or is it limited to certain users, locations
>or subnets?

>>That's the problem....nothing out of the ordinary in any of the event
logs.
>>We did have our WINS servers *after updating to SP4, we've since
>>reverted to SP3 and after some tweaking the databases we were able to get
>>stuff moving again.  The clients start Outlook and get their mail, they
just
>>get 2 of these logon boxes that can be cancelled.  It started 2 days after
>>we got WINS up again, and I removed a Exchange server via a site
connector.
>>(test server)

>Chris Scharff
>Exchange Administrator
>BV Solutions Group

>#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by Chris Schar » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Could you have a problem with the BDC which those users authenticate
against when they first logon? *reaching*

>Appears to be all users on certain subnets.  For example, one domain called
>Adminbldg, is on, lets say, network 35 (XXX.XXX.35.XXX) statically addressed
>subnet.  My Exchange stuff is on 100.xxx (clustered)  Anyone on the 35
>subnet gets these pop-ups and some people are having trouble sending mail.
>They hit F5 and it goes into a loop.  I'm sure if I (we) can figure out
>what's wrong here (subnet 35) that the others will be the same.

>Thanks

>>Well, I was kind of leaning towards a WINS issue, and the fact your
>>WINS server choked isn't reducing my suspicions. Does this issue
>>affect all of your users or is it limited to certain users, locations
>>or subnets?

>>>That's the problem....nothing out of the ordinary in any of the event
>logs.
>>>We did have our WINS servers *after updating to SP4, we've since
>>>reverted to SP3 and after some tweaking the databases we were able to get
>>>stuff moving again.  The clients start Outlook and get their mail, they
>just
>>>get 2 of these logon boxes that can be cancelled.  It started 2 days after
>>>we got WINS up again, and I removed a Exchange server via a site
>connector.
>>>(test server)

Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by James Arnol » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have checked PDC/BDC and there appears to be no problem there.  An
interesting thing happened today.  Yesterday, I set up a user for Exchange
in a remote building that would have to use WINS to see the Exchange Domain.
Set her WIN95 to log into the domain that Exchange is in, and all worked
fine....yesterday.  Today, she starts 95, enters the logon credentials for
the domain, logs in fine.....starts Outlook, it opens and then she gets ONE
logon box...not TWO like everybody else.  I hit cancel on that box without
entering any info and Outlook works fine......If I enter the correct info in
the box....I get the "incorrect Logon credentials" stuff....Perhaps I should
use one of my problem resolution tickets and call MS?????

Thanks

>Could you have a problem with the BDC which those users authenticate
>against when they first logon? *reaching*

>>Appears to be all users on certain subnets.  For example, one domain
called
>>Adminbldg, is on, lets say, network 35 (XXX.XXX.35.XXX) statically
addressed
>>subnet.  My Exchange stuff is on 100.xxx (clustered)  Anyone on the 35
>>subnet gets these pop-ups and some people are having trouble sending mail.
>>They hit F5 and it goes into a loop.  I'm sure if I (we) can figure out
>>what's wrong here (subnet 35) that the others will be the same.

>>Thanks

>>>Well, I was kind of leaning towards a WINS issue, and the fact your
>>>WINS server choked isn't reducing my suspicions. Does this issue
>>>affect all of your users or is it limited to certain users, locations
>>>or subnets?

>>logs.
>>just
>>connector.

>Chris Scharff
>Exchange Administrator
>BV Solutions Group

>#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by Chris Schar » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>One other thing.....Anyone that authenticates on the domain that exchange is
>on does not get these boxes, just people authenticating on other, trusted
>domains...did I already state that??

No, but that's probably important somewhere... did you mention whether
the event viewer on the Exchange Server has anything out of the
ordinary?
Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by James Arnol » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have checked PDC/BDC and there appears to be no problem there.  An
interesting thing happened today.  Yesterday, I set up a user for
Exchange
in a remote building that would have to use WINS to see the Exchange
Domain.
Set her WIN95 to log into the domain that Exchange is in, and all worked
fine....yesterday.  Today, she starts 95, enters the logon credentials
for
the domain, logs in fine.....starts Outlook, it opens and then she gets
ONE
logon box...not TWO like everybody else.  I hit cancel on that box
without
entering any info and Outlook works fine......If I enter the correct
info in
the box....I get the "incorrect Logon credentials" stuff....Perhaps I
should
use one of my problem resolution tickets and call MS?????

Thanks

>Could you have a problem with the BDC which those users authenticate
>against when they first logon? *reaching*

>>Appears to be all users on certain subnets.  For example, one domain
called
>>Adminbldg, is on, lets say, network 35 (XXX.XXX.35.XXX) statically
addressed
>>subnet.  My Exchange stuff is on 100.xxx (clustered)  Anyone on the 35
>>subnet gets these pop-ups and some people are having trouble sending
mail.
>>They hit F5 and it goes into a loop.  I'm sure if I (we) can figure
out
>>what's wrong here (subnet 35) that the others will be the same.

>>Thanks

>>>Well, I was kind of leaning towards a WINS issue, and the fact your
>>>WINS server choked isn't reducing my suspicions. Does this issue
>>>affect all of your users or is it limited to certain users, locations
>>>or subnets?

>>logs.

get

Quote:>>>>stuff moving again.  The clients start Outlook and get their mail,
they

Post by Chris Scharf » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Could you have a problem with the BDC which those users authenticate
against when they first logon? *reaching*

>Appears to be all users on certain subnets.  For example, one domain
called
>Adminbldg, is on, lets say, network 35 (XXX.XXX.35.XXX) statically
addressed
>subnet.  My Exchange stuff is on 100.xxx (clustered)  Anyone on the 35
>subnet gets these pop-ups and some people are having trouble sending
mail.
>They hit F5 and it goes into a loop.  I'm sure if I (we) can figure out
>what's wrong here (subnet 35) that the others will be the same.

>Thanks

>>Well, I was kind of leaning towards a WINS issue, and the fact your
>>WINS server choked isn't reducing my suspicions. Does this issue
>>affect all of your users or is it limited to certain users, locations
>>or subnets?

>>>That's the problem....nothing out of the ordinary in any of the event
>logs.
>>>We did have our WINS servers *after updating to SP4, we've since
>>>reverted to SP3 and after some tweaking the databases we were able to
get
>>>stuff moving again.  The clients start Outlook and get their mail,
they
>just
>>>get 2 of these logon boxes that can be cancelled.  It started 2 days
after
>>>we got WINS up again, and I removed a Exchange server via a site
>connector.
>>>(test server)

Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by James Arnol » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Appears to be all users on certain subnets.  For example, one domain
called
Adminbldg, is on, lets say, network 35 (XXX.XXX.35.XXX) statically
addressed
subnet.  My Exchange stuff is on 100.xxx (clustered)  Anyone on the 35
subnet gets these pop-ups and some people are having trouble sending
mail.
They hit F5 and it goes into a loop.  I'm sure if I (we) can figure out
what's wrong here (subnet 35) that the others will be the same.

Thanks

>Well, I was kind of leaning towards a WINS issue, and the fact your
>WINS server choked isn't reducing my suspicions. Does this issue
>affect all of your users or is it limited to certain users, locations
>or subnets?

>>That's the problem....nothing out of the ordinary in any of the event
logs.
>>We did have our WINS servers *after updating to SP4, we've since
>>reverted to SP3 and after some tweaking the databases we were able to
get
>>stuff moving again.  The clients start Outlook and get their mail,

they
just
Quote:>>get 2 of these logon boxes that can be cancelled.  It started 2 days
after
>>we got WINS up again, and I removed a Exchange server via a site
connector.
>>(test server)

>Chris Scharff
>Exchange Administrator
>BV Solutions Group

>#include std_disclaim.h

Multiple Logon boxes popping up!!!

Post by Chris Scharf » Wed, 17 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Well, I was kind of leaning towards a WINS issue, and the fact your
WINS server choked isn't reducing my suspicions. Does this issue
affect all of your users or is it limited to certain users, locations
or subnets?

>That's the problem....nothing out of the ordinary in any of the event
logs.
>We did have our WINS servers *after updating to SP4, we've since
>reverted to SP3 and after some tweaking the databases we were able to
get
>stuff moving again.  The clients start Outlook and get their mail, they
just
>get 2 of these logon boxes that can be cancelled.  It started 2 days
after
>we got WINS up again, and I removed a Exchange server via a site
connector.
>(test server)

Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

#include std_disclaim.h

1. Multiple Logon boxes in Web Access

Using Exchange 2000 my web clients get prompted for username and password
each time they close a window they opened to view a message.  i.e, open
message, fine.... open attachement.. fine.... Close Attachment, prompted for
username and password in both the Windows and Basic authentication boxes.
Click cancel twice and they close fine.  Close message that contained the
attachment and the same thing happens again.

Can anyone help me out?

2. Distribution List from NT User Manager

3. Messanger email pop ups on my server

4. Doh' - I'm an idiot - removed the exchange info service in Outlook2K and can't get it back...

5. Messenger Service Pop-ups

6. File Send from 16bit Office applications not working.

7. Lock ups when deleting multiple messages

8. SMTP

9. multiple domain box, multiple domain mail?

10. OWA authentication pop up box keeps appearing?

11. Microsoft Outlook Pop Message Box:

12. Relaying exchange accounts to off-site pop boxes, and then some

13. logon failure POP and IMAP