Mailbox Resources

Post by Jeffrey Lev » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

In Exchange Administrator under Mailbox Resources, it shows that one user
has 4 items that total 61,245k.  However, the user's mailbox is actually
empty when opening it in his Outlook Client.

Why?.

--
Jeffrey Levy

Mailbox Resources

Post by Chris Scharf » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>In Exchange Administrator under Mailbox Resources, it shows that one user
>has 4 items that total 61,245k.  However, the user's mailbox is actually
>empty when opening it in his Outlook Client.

>Why?.

Because the mailbox isn't empty? Have you verified the mailbox size
using the Outlook client?

--
Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator

Be sure to read the Exchange FAQ:

Mailbox Resources

Post by Jeffrey Lev » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Thanks.  It seemed to have refreshed after checking.  I then deleted the
items.  Not a big deal, but it now shows 0 items and 1k.  How can that be?

--
Jeffrey Levy

> >In Exchange Administrator under Mailbox Resources, it shows that one user
> >has 4 items that total 61,245k.  However, the user's mailbox is actually
> >empty when opening it in his Outlook Client.

> >Why?.

> Because the mailbox isn't empty? Have you verified the mailbox size
> using the Outlook client?

> --
> Chris Scharff
> Exchange Administrator
> BV Solutions Group

> Be sure to read the Exchange FAQ:
> http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Mailbox Resources

Post by Ed Crowle » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

There are more things than messages in a mailbox, such as rules.
--
Ed Crowley MCSE+Internet MVP-Exchange
Senior Consultant

> Thanks.  It seemed to have refreshed after checking.  I then deleted the
> items.  Not a big deal, but it now shows 0 items and 1k.  How can that be?

> --
> Jeffrey Levy

> > >In Exchange Administrator under Mailbox Resources, it shows that one
user
> > >has 4 items that total 61,245k.  However, the user's mailbox is
actually
> > >empty when opening it in his Outlook Client.

> > >Why?.

> > Because the mailbox isn't empty? Have you verified the mailbox size
> > using the Outlook client?

> > --
> > Chris Scharff
> > Exchange Administrator
> > BV Solutions Group

> > Be sure to read the Exchange FAQ:
> > http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm

Mailbox Resources

Post by Chris Scharf » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanks.  It seemed to have refreshed after checking.  I then deleted the
>items.  Not a big deal, but it now shows 0 items and 1k.  How can that be?

Well, the mailbox resources screen has never been a 1 to 1 information
source in my experience. (e.g. One might have 10 messages in the inbox
and the mailbox resources might indicate 157 items). I can't tell you
what an item is or everything that takes up space in a mailbox
(although rules, extra folders and journal entries et al, take up
space), but if it's empty, a 1K variance wouldn't be something I'd
lose sleep over. The apparent disparity (and rot cause) in items/ size
reporting is something that isn't documented anywhere that I've seen.

--
Chris Scharff
Exchange Administrator
BV Solutions Group

Be sure to read the Exchange FAQ:

1. Mailbox Resource display does not match actual folder resources

I have about 225 users on a single Exchange 5.5 server.
When I view the Mailbox Resources for my users, the
numbers don't seem to match up. For instance, one user
shows 14,415 "Total no. items".  When you look at her
inbox from an MSOutlook session at her desktop, there are
no more than 250 messages, contacts, and calendar
appointments.  She has no Personal Folders, and does not
Journal.  This is typical for each user.  Of course, this
takes up space, but when we ask our users to "clean things
up", the Admin screen still shows a great deal ofallocated
storage!  What am I missing!?!?!

2. Exchange 5.5 fault tolerance

3. Mailbox Resources not deleting with the mailbox

4. Migrating from MSMAIL Post office to Exchange server

5. MailBox Resource still there after deleting Mailbox

6. Information Store refusing to restart after shutdown

7. remove straneded mailboxes in mailbox resources

8. 2 Exchange servers to 1 MSMail PO

9. Non existent user showing up on Mailbox Resources - mailbox can't be deleted

10. Exporting Mailbox Resource (Mailbox Size)

11. Mailbox in Mailbox Resources but not in Recipients Container

12. Deleted old mailboxes, Mailbox resources still there

13. How to delete the mailbox from the private information store - mailbox resources