outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Rhysom » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 12:58:48

Recently had to reinstall Exchange 5.5

Office Outlook users log on fine on the LAN but Outlook Express won't. OE
keeps prompting for passwords and denies them even when they are correct. Am
I missing something obvious?

Ryan

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan Zome

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:54:51

Use
ntDomain\ntUsername\ExchangeAlias
as POP3 username.

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Rhysom » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 16:29:28

Sorry, my apologies. It's not NT. I should have put that in my original
post. It's Windows 2000 (SP2) w/Exchange 5.5. I'm still stumped. Outlook
Express will not validate passwords but Office Outlook is fine. It would
definitely seem to have something to do with the authentication differences
between the two programs. But who knows

Ryan

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan Zome

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:25:05

> Sorry, my apologies. It's not NT.

Makes no difference. You have domain somewhere on your network.

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Rhysom » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 04:22:39

followed instructions according to article

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q236032

still no go.

Ryan
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan Zome

> > Sorry, my apologies. It's not NT.

> Makes no difference. You have domain somewhere on your network.

> > I should have put that in my original
> > post. It's Windows 2000 (SP2) w/Exchange 5.5. I'm still stumped. Outlook
> > Express will not validate passwords but Office Outlook is fine. It would
> > definitely seem to have something to do with the authentication
differences
> > between the two programs. But who knows

> > Ryan

> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Ryan Zome
> > MCSE NT4.0

wrote in

> > > Use
> > > ntDomain\ntUsername\ExchangeAlias
> > > as POP3 username.

> > OE
> > correct. Am

> > > --
> > > Corrections are welcome.
> > > Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> > > Kirill

> --
> Corrections are welcome.
> Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Rhysom » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 04:37:00

One more thing to add is that Office Outlook mail clients function fine.

Ryan
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan Zome

> > Sorry, my apologies. It's not NT.

> Makes no difference. You have domain somewhere on your network.

> > I should have put that in my original
> > post. It's Windows 2000 (SP2) w/Exchange 5.5. I'm still stumped. Outlook
> > Express will not validate passwords but Office Outlook is fine. It would
> > definitely seem to have something to do with the authentication
differences
> > between the two programs. But who knows

> > Ryan

> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Ryan Zome
> > MCSE NT4.0

wrote in

> > > Use
> > > ntDomain\ntUsername\ExchangeAlias
> > > as POP3 username.

> > OE
> > correct. Am

> > > --
> > > Corrections are welcome.
> > > Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> > > Kirill

> --
> Corrections are welcome.
> Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Alfred Lo » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:57:05

Exchange Alias must be exactly the same as the userid in NT or W2K.  You can
see this login failure in NT event viewer.  Not sure about W2K.

--
AL, MCSE
"Everything I love is killing me, cigarettes, Jack Daniels and caffeine",

> One more thing to add is that Office Outlook mail clients function fine.

> Ryan
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Ryan Zome
> MCSE NT4.0

in

> > > Sorry, my apologies. It's not NT.

> > Makes no difference. You have domain somewhere on your network.

> > > I should have put that in my original
> > > post. It's Windows 2000 (SP2) w/Exchange 5.5. I'm still stumped.
Outlook
> > > Express will not validate passwords but Office Outlook is fine. It
would
> > > definitely seem to have something to do with the authentication
> differences
> > > between the two programs. But who knows

> > > Ryan

> > > --
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > > Ryan Zome
> > > MCSE NT4.0

> wrote in

> won't.
> > > OE
> > > correct. Am

participate.

> > --
> > Corrections are welcome.
> > Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> > Kirill

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:14:25

Follow
XFOR: Verifying Basic POP3 Connectivity Using Telnet [Q165186]

and post your findings here.

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Rhysom » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 04:39:09

This is the result

telnet x.x.x.x 110
+OK

user
domain/username/alias
+OK

pass
ERR - logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

I tried another POP3 client as well. Netscape - still nothing

Ryan

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan Zome

> Follow
> XFOR: Verifying Basic POP3 Connectivity Using Telnet [Q165186]

> and post your findings here.

> > followed instructions according to article

> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q236032

> > still no go.

> > Ryan
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Ryan Zome
> > MCSE NT4.0

wrote in

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 15:57:51

> This is the result

> telnet x.x.x.x 110
> +OK

> user
> domain/username/alias
> +OK

AFAIK, you should use backslash with POP3.

Also, what domain name is used? DNS domain or NT domain?
Have you tried this with mailbox whose primary NT account name matches Exchange
alias?

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Rhysom » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 21:26:07

the server is a DC with a FQDN - server.foo.domain.com (that format)

sorry, i did use backslashes that was a typo.

what do i need to do so that when someone logs on to the exchange server
locally (me, for instance) or on one of the w2k pro machines, they can
access mailboxes for users who don't really exist (i.e.

Ryan
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan Zome

> > This is the result

> > telnet x.x.x.x 110
> > +OK

> > user
> > domain/username/alias
> > +OK

> AFAIK, you should use backslash with POP3.

> Also, what domain name is used? DNS domain or NT domain?
> Have you tried this with mailbox whose primary NT account name matches
Exchange
> alias?

> > pass
> > ERR - logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

> > I tried another POP3 client as well. Netscape - still nothing

> > Ryan

> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Ryan Zome
> > MCSE NT4.0

wrote in

> > > Follow
> > > XFOR: Verifying Basic POP3 Connectivity Using Telnet [Q165186]

> > > and post your findings here.

> > wrote in

> > Outlook
It
> > would

Express

> > participate.

participate.

> > > --
> > > Corrections are welcome.
> > > Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> > > Kirill

> --
> Corrections are welcome.
> Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 01:14:11

I think you can use forward slashes.  Some clients don't support
backslashes.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> the server is a DC with a FQDN - server.foo.domain.com (that format)

> sorry, i did use backslashes that was a typo.

> what do i need to do so that when someone logs on to the exchange server
> locally (me, for instance) or on one of the w2k pro machines, they can
> access mailboxes for users who don't really exist (i.e.

> Ryan
> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Ryan Zome
> MCSE NT4.0

in

> > > This is the result

> > > telnet x.x.x.x 110
> > > +OK

> > > user
> > > domain/username/alias
> > > +OK

> > AFAIK, you should use backslash with POP3.

> > Also, what domain name is used? DNS domain or NT domain?
> > Have you tried this with mailbox whose primary NT account name matches
> Exchange
> > alias?

> > > pass
> > > ERR - logon failure: unknown user name or bad password

> > > I tried another POP3 client as well. Netscape - still nothing

> > > Ryan

> > > --
> > > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > > Ryan Zome
> > > MCSE NT4.0

> wrote in

> > > wrote in

> > > Outlook
> It
> > > would

> Express
> are

> > > participate.

> participate.

participate.

> > --
> > Corrections are welcome.
> > Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> > Kirill

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Ed Crowley [MVP » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 01:15:01

No it doesn't.  If it's different, you enter:

domain/nt_id/alias

or

domain\nt_id\alias
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Exchange Alias must be exactly the same as the userid in NT or W2K.  You
can
> see this login failure in NT event viewer.  Not sure about W2K.

> --
> AL, MCSE
> "Everything I love is killing me, cigarettes, Jack Daniels and caffeine",
> Alan Jackson
> http://www.alfredivy.per.sg/users/alloo

> > One more thing to add is that Office Outlook mail clients function fine.

> > Ryan
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Ryan Zome
> > MCSE NT4.0

wrote

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:57:29

> the server is a DC with a FQDN - server.foo.domain.com (that format)

Forget about FQDN.
Use NetBIOS name of your domain.

> sorry, i did use backslashes that was a typo.

> what do i need to do so that when someone logs on to the exchange server
> locally (me, for instance) or on one of the w2k pro machines, they can
> access mailboxes for users who don't really exist (i.e.

??
You have to assign Primary NT account (possibly group account) to any mailboxes.

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

outlook works, outlook express doesn't

Post by Rhysom » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:35:09

yeah, I know. but I was pulling at straws. I have managed to resolve the
problem but only by way of creating multiple aliases for a single mailbox
and doing it that way. Only problem then is that all mail comes to the same
account. I don't like it but it will have to do for now. All I wanted was to
log on as say BobSmith. But get mail from multiple email boxes like

problem if, in the future, I don't want all email coming to one box. Who
cares for now. At least I have everyone functioning on some level.

It's not that hard to grasp if I could explain it correctly. Let's just say
this... One user account. 3 email boxes. User receives email from all three
mailboxes on one computer with different OE identities. Or from say, three
different computers. With the exception of the user's OWN email account, all
other email boxes are refused (even if that user is specified as the primary
NT account) It's a weird problem and worse, the user him/herself couldn't
even receive their own account's email until I applied SP3.

One might say... Have the user be the Primary Nt Account right of all three
mailboxes right? nope. Use domain\username\alias right? nope. Force the POP3
connector to accept only clear text or clear text SSL right? nope.

So there you have it.. my last ditch attempt. Any takers?

Ryan

Thanks to you both for all the help... I do appreciate it.

Ryan

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ryan Zome

> > the server is a DC with a FQDN - server.foo.domain.com (that format)

> Forget about FQDN.
> Use NetBIOS name of your domain.

> > sorry, i did use backslashes that was a typo.

> > what do i need to do so that when someone logs on to the exchange server
> > locally (me, for instance) or on one of the w2k pro machines, they can
> > access mailboxes for users who don't really exist (i.e.

> ??
> You have to assign Primary NT account (possibly group account) to any
mailboxes.

> > Ryan
> > --
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> > Ryan Zome
> > MCSE NT4.0

> > <snip>

> --
> Corrections are welcome.
> Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

> Kirill

1. POP3 doesn't work with other clients than Outlook and Outlook Express

Hi,

We've an exchange 5.5 server SP3 on a NT 4.0 machine SP5.
The POP3-protocol seems to function only with the above mentioned clients.
What can be wrong that it doesn't work e.g. with Netscape Messenger or any
other POP3-client?

Thnx and bye
Edmund

2. OWA

3. Outlook works but Outlook Express can't send the mail out with Error 0x800CCC79

4. RAS RPC Problems

5. Outlook Express doesn't follow SMTP protocol ?

6. ASP error

7. Macintosh Outlook 98 doesn't convert Express Mail

8. Messages not marked Replied/Forwarded

9. Outlook Express doesn't follow SMTP protocol ?

10. Internet Explorer mixed up MAPI so now Outlook and Express won't work