Exchange doing weird things in event log

Exchange doing weird things in event log

Post by Tom Halsa » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi
I have encountered a kinda weird problem with 2 MS Exchange Servers in a
network, both servers fills the eventlog within minutes of services starting
(there is no relationship between the servers, but anyway..)

The following line repeats over and over

12.11.98        13:39:36        ESE97   Error   (7)     0       N/A     STORTANGEN      The description for Event
ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ESE97 ) could not be found. It contains the following
insertion string(s): MSExchangeIS, (423) , Unexpected NT API error:
0xC000000D.

One major problem is that there is NO event id, and that kinda puzzled me,
but if any of you out there has encountered the same problem, and maybe have
a solution to it, i would be most grateful..

Regards,

Tom Halsan

Exchange doing weird things in event log

Post by Nebojsa Zdravkovi » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I suppose you are looking at the event log from a remote machine, and there
is no description for this event. Try looking at the event log from machine
where event occurred.

Nebojsa Zdravkovic
MCSE & MCT

>Hi
>I have encountered a kinda weird problem with 2 MS Exchange Servers in a
>network, both servers fills the eventlog within minutes of services
starting
>(there is no relationship between the servers, but anyway..)

>The following line repeats over and over

>12.11.98 13:39:36 ESE97 Error (7) 0 N/A STORTANGEN The description for
Event
>ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ESE97 ) could not be found. It contains the following
>insertion string(s): MSExchangeIS, (423) , Unexpected NT API error:
>0xC000000D.

Exchange doing weird things in event log

Post by Tom Halsa » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

This is from the eventlog on the computer running NT server 4.0 and Exchange
Server 5.5 - it is not a remote machines event log. And the missing event id
puzzles me..

Regards,

Tom

Post by Rich Matheis » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hi
>I have encountered a kinda weird problem with 2 MS Exchange Servers in a
>network, both servers fills the eventlog within minutes of services starting
>(there is no relationship between the servers, but anyway..)

>The following line repeats over and over

>12.11.98    13:39:36        ESE97   Error   (7)     0       N/A     STORTANGEN      The description for Event
>ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ESE97 ) could not be found. It contains the following
>insertion string(s): MSExchangeIS, (423) , Unexpected NT API error:
>0xC000000D.
>One major problem is that there is NO event id, and that kinda puzzled me,
>but if any of you out there has encountered the same problem, and maybe have
>a solution to it, i would be most grateful..

Were you looking at the Application Log on a server that runs
Exchange? The failure to format the description implies that the DLL
couldn't be found.

IAC, the error 0xC000000D is an unexpected NT API error usually (but
not always) caused by an Anti-Virus software. If you're using one then
REMOVE it and restart the server. The cure for the problem is, most
often, the application of the NT "roll-up" hot fix. Once you apply
that fix go ahead and reinstall the A-V software. If the problem
reappears after the roll-up and reinstallation of the A-V software you
might want to contact the A-V software vendor.

Exchange doing weird things in event log

Post by Till Momms » Fri, 13 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
got the same problem setting up Exchange Server 5.5.  I found something that
relates this kind of problems to a Virus Scan, however after hours of
searching a solution for another problem I forgot where I found it (clever,
isn't it?). I think it was the MS knowledge base. In case you get a
solution, I'll be happy to hear from you...

Till

Post by Tom Halsa » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>>Hi
>>I have encountered a kinda weird problem with 2 MS Exchange Servers in a
>>network, both servers fills the eventlog within minutes of services
starting
>>(there is no relationship between the servers, but anyway..)

>>The following line repeats over and over

>>12.11.98 13:39:36 ESE97 Error (7) 0 N/A STORTANGEN The description for
Event
>>ID ( 0 ) in Source ( ESE97 ) could not be found. It contains the following
>>insertion string(s): MSExchangeIS, (423) , Unexpected NT API error:
>>0xC000000D.

>>One major problem is that there is NO event id, and that kinda puzzled me,
>>but if any of you out there has encountered the same problem, and maybe
have
>>a solution to it, i would be most grateful..

>Were you looking at the Application Log on a server that runs
>Exchange? The failure to format the description implies that the DLL
>couldn't be found.

Yes the information i pasted is from the applictation log of the server
running exchange server 5.5.

Quote:

>IAC, the error 0xC000000D is an unexpected NT API error usually (but
>not always) caused by an Anti-Virus software. If you're using one then
>REMOVE it and restart the server. The cure for the problem is, most
>often, the application of the NT "roll-up" hot fix. Once you apply
>that fix go ahead and reinstall the A-V software. If the problem
>reappears after the roll-up and reinstallation of the A-V software you
>might want to contact the A-V software vendor.

I've gotten this tips earlier, but there is no antivirus software running on
the server, the only A-V software that resides on the server is for
distribution to the clients (all running win 95) through the login script.

Any suggestions most appreciated... I'm starting to lose hair... :)

Regards,

Tom Halsan

Exchange doing weird things in event log

Post by Rich Matheis » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

                                        [ snip ]

Quote:>>IAC, the error 0xC000000D is an unexpected NT API error usually (but
>>not always) caused by an Anti-Virus software. If you're using one then
>>REMOVE it and restart the server. The cure for the problem is, most
>>often, the application of the NT "roll-up" hot fix. Once you apply
>>that fix go ahead and reinstall the A-V software. If the problem
>>reappears after the roll-up and reinstallation of the A-V software you
>>might want to contact the A-V software vendor.

>I've gotten this tips earlier, but there is no antivirus software running on
>the server, the only A-V software that resides on the server is for
>distribution to the clients (all running win 95) through the login script.

>Any suggestions most appreciated... I'm starting to lose hair... :)

Regardless of the presence of A-V software, install the roll-up
hotfix.

The most common cause of this error is A-V software, but it's no
limited to that. And, in some cases, like Norton Tools, there's a
small A-V component installed even if you don't use it. Install the
hot fix.

Exchange doing weird things in event log

Post by Warren La Fleu » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

There is a Hot Fix that resolves the Virus scan problem. That should solve
this problem.

>Hi,
>got the same problem setting up Exchange Server 5.5.  I found something
that
>relates this kind of problems to a Virus Scan, however after hours of
>searching a solution for another problem I forgot where I found it (clever,
>isn't it?). I think it was the MS knowledge base. In case you get a
>solution, I'll be happy to hear from you...

>Till

>>>starting

1. Scary MTA things in the event log

Can anyone help me with a fix or a better understanding for the following 4
events I have found in the event log?  I have Exchange 5.0 (no SP), on NT4
SP3.  This server does not have any noticable Exchange problems yet, and I
would like to tidy up the server before it gets any worse.  I have both
B.O. resource kits and am trying to decide what the best plan of attack may
be.  I don't know if SP1 will fix or cloud the problem.

Any ideas?

 10/13/97       12:13:28 PM     MSExchangeMTA   Warning X.400 Service
 290    N/A     QUINCY_NT2      A non-delivery report (reason code
 unable-to-transfer and diagnostic code unrecognised-OR-name) is being
 generated for message C=US;A
 ;P=Glenayre;L=QUINCY_NT2-971013171328Z-795. It was originally destined
 for DN:/o=GLENAYRE/ou=QUINCY/cn=MSMAILUSERS/cn=MPADAVIC (recipient
 number 1), and was to be redirected to . [MTA DISP:RESULT 22 136] (12)

 10/13/97       7:17:59 AM      MSExchangeMTA   Information     X.400
 Service        270     N/A     QUINCY_NT2      A permanent error has
 occurred with Entity
 /O=GLENAYRE/OU=QUINCY/CN=CONFIGURATION/CN=SERVERS/CN=QUINCY_NT2/CN=MIC
 ROSOFT PUBLIC MDB.  Entity is a Message  Object is a Normal Priority
 Message. Object: 06000087. Message ID: C=US;A
 ;P=Glenayre;L=CHARLOTTE_NT2-971013121531Z-572  Content length: 87158,
 External Trace information (first 100 bytes)
 308063806180130255530000628013012000001308476C656E61797265000031808011
 3937313031333038313533312D303430308201008302060000000000,  PDU dump
 reference 1 [MTA SUBMIT 18 74] (14)

 10/11/97       11:37:41 PM     REPLICATOR      Error   None    3208
 Replicator Service     QUINCY_NT2      The replication server could not
 update directory Scripts from the source on QUINCY_NT4 due to error
 32.

 10/11/97       11:27:36 PM     MSExchangeMTA   Warning Internal
 Processing     2192    N/A     QUINCY_NT2      An MTA database server
 error was encountered while removing an entry from a queue. Called
 from MTA. Procedure 118. Database error code: 0. Queue name: 0100002B.
 Object at fault: 0600004E. [DB Server DISP:ROUTER 12 67] (12)

2. Large OST files and Exchange

3. weird message in event log when I start IMS

4. Howto install a Exchange 5.5 server in a Exchange 4.0 site

5. Weird X400 messages in my event log...please help

6. Newsfeed

7. Weird MTA Event Log messages

8. Edit SMTP Header?

9. OWA doing strange things

10. Best way of doing things.....

11. IIS I done a baaaad thing

12. Weird thing

13. Security Log and Application log saying different things