LDAP in Exchange 2000??

Post by Steven » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:50:53

I have my exchange server 2000 installed, and the server is a Domain
Controller,
with DNS Service installed. I found that when I open the mmc for "Active
Directory
Users and Computers", the CPU comsumption becomes 100% and the mmc takes
a few minutes to start up.  I checked on MS KB and found this type of
symptom
occurs when the DNS have incorrect entries, but I checked and I think this
seems not
the case. I wonder if this is due to the LDAP conflict? I read on books that
the LDAP
Directory Site and the Dirctory Services both use port 389. It should be
changed
before bringing a server with exchange to a DC. I use netstat to check the
network
conenctions, I found that the server made many many connections to itself
with ports
ranged from 1000 to 55000. I guess the slow response is because the server
trying each port.

Currently the exchange organization is running in mixed mode. A NT4 BDC with
exchange 5.5 and a W2K DC with Exchange 2000. The LDAP port is not changed
and still using port 389.

Any hints?? Thanks.

LDAP in Exchange 2000??

Post by Dave Howe [MSFT » Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:11:32

Quote:>I have my exchange server 2000 installed, and the server is a Domain
>Controller,
>with DNS Service installed. I found that when I open the mmc for "Active
>Directory
>Users and Computers", the CPU comsumption becomes 100% and the mmc takes
>a few minutes to start up.  I checked on MS KB and found this type of
>symptom
>occurs when the DNS have incorrect entries, but I checked and I think this
>seems not
>the case. I wonder if this is due to the LDAP conflict? I read on books that
>the LDAP
>Directory Site and the Dirctory Services both use port 389. It should be
>changed
>before bringing a server with exchange to a DC. I use netstat to check the
>network
>conenctions, I found that the server made many many connections to itself
>with ports
>ranged from 1000 to 55000. I guess the slow response is because the server
>trying each port.

>Currently the exchange organization is running in mixed mode. A NT4 BDC with
>exchange 5.5 and a W2K DC with Exchange 2000. The LDAP port is not changed
>and still using port 389.

>Any hints?? Thanks.

I agree, this sounds like a DNS issue.  The LDAP port on an Exchange
5.5 server only matters if it is installed on a Windows 2000+ Domain
Controller.

I suggest installing the Windows 2000 Support Tools from the Windows
2000 CDROM, then from a command prompt run the following command from
the server you're trying to launch ADUC from:

NETDIAG /V > OUTPUT.TXT

Review the output file for any errors or warnings in the DNS
configuration section.  This will probably be your best clue as to
what may be wrong within your environment.

Hope this helps!

---

Dave Howe
Microsoft PSS