Relay but NOT open relay

Post by Alle » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:53:02

Hi, I have an Exchange 5.5 with sp4 on an NT 4.0 with
sp6a.
My Exchange is 10.0.0.1. I have another server (not
Exchange)with 10.0.0.25 ip that I run a program that
generates email (not Outlook).
I have setup the Exchange (10.0.0.1) to stop all relays.
However, I want to open it for 10.0.0.25 server to relay
thru my Exchange.
When I enter the above IP addresses in IMS in "Routing
Restriction" under the "Routing" tab, I become an open
relay server. Is there any way to accomplish this without
becoming totaly open relay? Thanks in advance.
Allen

Relay but NOT open relay

Post by Manwel » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 08:50:07

I just recently worked on securing our smtp relay to only
a few internal hosts. If you have set up the configuration
as you mentioned, your 10.0.0.25 box should be the only
box that is allowed to relay off your Exchange server. All
other systems would require a valid "rcpt to:" address
within the GAL for it to route.

Take a look at the following link for more info - hope it
helps:

http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Articles/Index.cfm?
ArticleID=7696

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi, I have an Exchange 5.5 with sp4 on an NT 4.0 with
>sp6a.
>My Exchange is 10.0.0.1. I have another server (not
>Exchange)with 10.0.0.25 ip that I run a program that
>generates email (not Outlook).
>I have setup the Exchange (10.0.0.1) to stop all relays.
>However, I want to open it for 10.0.0.25 server to relay
>thru my Exchange.
>When I enter the above IP addresses in IMS in "Routing
>Restriction" under the "Routing" tab, I become an open
>relay server. Is there any way to accomplish this without
>becoming totaly open relay? Thanks in advance.
>Allen

>.

Relay but NOT open relay

Post by iSoftWar » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 10:47:27

i have some external mail to receive, if i do like the
http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7
696
i can not receive any message outside. and i can send mail
perfect.
how can i do?

Quote:>-----?-????-----
>I just recently worked on securing our smtp relay to only
>a few internal hosts. If you have set up the
configuration
>as you mentioned, your 10.0.0.25 box should be the only

http://www.exchangeadmin.com/Articles/Index.cfm?

Quote:>ArticleID=7696
>box that is allowed to relay off your Exchange server.
All
>other systems would require a valid "rcpt to:" address
>within the GAL for it to route.

>Take a look at the following link for more info - hope it
>helps:

Relay but NOT open relay

Post by Kirill S. Palagi » Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:57:40

> Hi, I have an Exchange 5.5 with sp4 on an NT 4.0 with
> sp6a.
> My Exchange is 10.0.0.1. I have another server (not
> Exchange)with 10.0.0.25 ip that I run a program that
> generates email (not Outlook).
> I have setup the Exchange (10.0.0.1) to stop all relays.
> However, I want to open it for 10.0.0.25 server to relay
> thru my Exchange.
> When I enter the above IP addresses in IMS in "Routing
> Restriction" under the "Routing" tab, I become an open
> relay server.

What makes you think that you are becoming open relay server?

Quote:> Is there any way to accomplish this without

--
Corrections are welcome.
Please keep all discussions in NG, so that everybody can participate.

Kirill

1. Open relay - accepting not relaying

I have three exchange 2000 servers, in three different
cities.  They are connected to each other by VPN.  The
main server is in the central office.  It's SMTP queues
keep filling up with junk.  I've tried all MS suggested
procedures for closing the relay but nothing seems to
work.  Right now if tested it accepts messages but doesn't
seem to relay them.  I believe that is why the queues are
so full.

Any suggestions?

Jon

2. OWA clients cannot login

3. Can't Stop Open Relay and Can't Relay Internal Mail

4. Dr.Watson error - SMARTAGT.EXE

5. Relaying mail from Unix systems - without being open relay

6. someone is relaying mail through our E2K server

7. Mail Relay problem, not able to close them even with sp3 and exchange relay solution

8. 5.5 to 2K upgrade options

9. SMTP relay not relaying

10. open relaying still not closing

11. can not send outbound mail without making E2k a open relay server

12. spam in Q evin though relay is not open

13. Help - Not an Open Relay, but still getting mails