Setting up Link Monitor to monitor foreign email system

Setting up Link Monitor to monitor foreign email system

Post by Nutter, Ronal » Wed, 18 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have read where it supposedly is possible to use a Link Monitor to
"watch" a foreign email system.  What I am hoping
to be able to do is to watch a remote exchange server, not connected to
our companies email system, and see when
messages are having a problem in getting through.  Using Link Monitor on
a foreign email system isnt talked about
in the manuals as far as I can see.

Setting up Link Monitor to monitor foreign email system

Post by Step » Thu, 19 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Yes this is possible.  First thing you should do is create a Custom
Recipient which has a bogus address for the remote Exchange server.
Basically what you want it to do is send an NDR back to you.  You can then
configure the 'recipients' tab in the link monitor.  Add the Custom
Recipient to the 'message subject or body returned' section.  I haven't
tried using just the 'Message Subject returned from', but this might also
work when getting an NDR from another Exchange server .

The other way is to get the Admins of the Remote Exchange server to set you
up a mailbox with an rule for an Auto reply.  Create a CR for this mailbox,
and put the CR in the 'Message subject returned from' section of the
'Recipients' tab in the Link Monitor.  The Auto reply should have the
original subject in the 'Subject' field.

Stephen.

Quote:> I have read where it supposedly is possible to use a Link Monitor to