Problems Migrating from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003

Problems Migrating from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003

Post by Meron Lavi » Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:32:04

I have a small business network, which I wanted to upgrade from W2K/E2K to
W2k3/E2k3.

The original network/domain configuration was a single W2K Server (SP4)
Domain Controler, running Exchange 2000 (SP3) mixed-mode, with a number of
WinXP Professional clients ("host004").

I got an additional computer. I installed Windows 2003 Standard Server on
the new computer, and successfully promoted
it to a Domain Controller, and it appeared to successfully replicated the AD
with my extant W2K server ("host008"). Everything seemed to work fine on the
computer.

Then, I installed Exchange 2003 on the Windows 2003 server,, and moved the
mailboxes to the new Exchange 2003. Everything seemed to work until I
rebooted the machine. The reboot took ages - maybe 15 minutes instead of 2
previously (both shutting down and in particular starting up - and
especially "preparing network connections"). After the reboot, the Exchange
installation on the new W2k3/E2k3 server wasn't functioning. Upon closer
inspection, I saw that the MS Exchange Information Store service wasn't
started. I could start it manually and then Exchange seemed to function
properly.

I then started to review the event logs.
On the _old_ W2K/E2K server, the Application Event Log contains Event
Source: MSExchangeDSAccess
Category: Topology
Event Id:  2102
Process MAD.EXE (PID=1404). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not
responding:
host004.subdomain.domain.org
host008.subdomain.domain.org

On the _new_ W2k3/E2k3 server, I got the messages

In the System Log:

Source: NETLOGON
Category: None
Event Id:  3096
The primary Domain Controller for this domain could not be located.

and then:

Source: LSASRV
Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator)
Event Id:  40960
The Security System detected an authentication error for the server . The
failure code from authentication protocol Kerberos was "There are currently
no logon servers available to service the logon request.(0xc000005e)".

and then:

Source: LSASRV
Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator)
Event Id:  40961
The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server
. No authentication protocol was available.

and then:

Source: LSASRV
Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator)
Event Id:  40960
The Security System detected an authentication error for the server
ldap/host008.subdomain.domain.org. The failure code from authentication
protocol Kerberos was "There are currently no logon servers available to
service the logon request.
(0xc000005e)".

PLEASE NOTE: host008 is this actual computer, so it means than it couldn't
authenticate with itself!!!!

and then:

Source: LSASRV
Category: SPNEGO (Negotiator)
Event Id:  40961
The Security System could not establish a secured connection with the server
ldap/host008.subdomain.domain.org. No authentication protocol was available.

PLEASE NOTE: host008 is this actual computer, so it means than it couldn't
authenticate with itself!!!!

Following that were similar entries showing that attempts were being made to
connect via "host008" (without the domain name), "localhost" and even
"127.0.0.1".

Source: DhcpServer
Category: None
Event Id:  1059
The DHCP service failed to see a directory server for authorization.

So I don't understand what's going on here at all. The W2k3 server doesn't
recognize itself as a domain controller??? Also, I thought "PRIMARY domain
controllers" didn't exist after NT, so why did I get an error saying the PDC
couldn't be found??? Does the W2k3 need to be the primary
domain controller? and if so - how would I accomplish that?

Now, the W23k3's Application Event Log is equally amusing:

Source: MSExchangeDSAccess
Category: Topology
Event Id:  2114
Process INETINFO.EXE (PID=1352). Topology Discovery failed, error
0x80040952.

and then:

Source: MSExchangeFBPublish
Category: General
Event Id:  8207
Error updating public folder with free-busy information on virtual machine
HOST008. The error number is 0x8004010f.
and then:

Source: Userenv
Category: None
Event Id:  1058
Windows cannot access the file gpt.ini for GPO
CN={31B2F340-016D-11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9},CN=Policies,CN=System,DC=subdomain
,DC=domain,DC=org. The file must be present at the location
<\\subdomain.domain.org\sysvol\subdomain.domain.org\Policies\{31B2F340-016D-
11D2-945F-00C04FB984F9}\gpt.ini>. (Access is denied. ). Group Policy
processing aborted.

and then:

Source: Userenv
Category: None
Event Id:  1030
Windows cannot query for the list of Group Policy objects. Check the event
log for possible messages previously logged by the policy engine that
describes the reason for this.

and then:

Source: MSExchangeDSAccess
Category: Topology
Event Id:  2103
Process MAD.EXE (PID=1616). All Global Catalog Servers in use are not
responding:
host004.subdomain.domain.org

Well, there were more, but you get the idea.

Could some MVP please help me???

TIA
Lavie

1. Migrating Exchange Sever 2000 To Exchange 2003

Hi

Exchange 2003 Server is released right

We have exchange 2000 server running at present
We need to ugrade to exchange 2003
As we have only less space in the existing environment we have planned to
migrate the environment to new machine

So How this can be done in a new machine ie migrating of exchange 2000 to
2003
I need this to be done without any loss of data
So can anyone tell me the procedure for this to migrate it in new
environment

You can reach me at   sabeer at texworld.com

--Sabeer

2. OWA question

3. Migrating from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003

4. Intrasite traffic between servers

5. Migrating Exchange 5.5 on Win 2K to Exchange 2003 on a new Win 2003 server

6. Everyone talks about Book Online

7. PLEASE ADVISE: Migrating from Exchange 2000 to 2003

8. Groupshield 4.0.4 and NT4.0 SP3 problems - DSAVSAdm could not be loaded

9. Exchange 2003: Need to restore Exchange 2000 backup to 2003

10. EXCHANGE 2000 ON WIN2k to Exchange 2003 on Server 2003

11. Problems replicating Public Folder data from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003

12. migrate exchange 5.5 to exchange 2003

13. Migrate from NT4 domain to 2k domain and Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003