error 2140

Post by rs » Sun, 27 May 2001 07:11:33

I get an error 2140 when trying to manually start the MTA service.  When the
server boots up, the event viewer gives me the error:  "A fatal database
error occurred, the database recovery operation was not successful and
manual correction will be required."  The  mtacheck.log says " error in
Queue-Desc-Object (ID 1) initialization.  Database contains serious errors
and cannot be automatically repaired."

I have no idea why this occurred, all I know is I need my server running!
Help!!!

error 2140

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 27 May 2001 10:49:09

>I get an error 2140 when trying to manually start the MTA service.  When the
>server boots up, the event viewer gives me the error:  "A fatal database
>error occurred, the database recovery operation was not successful and
>manual correction will be required."  The  mtacheck.log says " error in
>Queue-Desc-Object (ID 1) initialization.  Database contains serious errors
>and cannot be automatically repaired."

>I have no idea why this occurred, all I know is I need my server running!
>Help!!!

The file named DB000001.DAT is damaged. Copy it from the Exchange
installation CD's "bootenv" directory to the MTADATA directory on your
disk. Then remove the "Read-Only" attribute from the file. Now run
MTACHECK /B /F C:\MTA.LOG.

Try these MS KB articles for more info:
XCON: How and Why to Run Mtacheck [Q163326]
XCON: Message Transfer Agent Frequently Asked Questions [Q240759]

Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP