What is my real mailbox size?

Post by Doom » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 05:50:06

I am trying to find the mailbox size for each of my staff members. I am
using Exch. 5.5 SP4 on 2K server SP4. When I check the property of the
private information store, mailbox resources....I see one mailbox size that
is different than in the mailbox resources subfolder of the private
information store. Which one is the accurate one.? Why do we have 2
different information?

Thanks,

What is my real mailbox size?

Post by a » Thu, 13 Nov 2003 06:13:37

The size of your Privy.ebb may never be the same as all mailboxes added
together.  Direct Quote from Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 812232
"This issue is caused by different information that is calculated for the
Privy.ebb file size and the mailboxes size. When you view Mailboxes in
Exchange System Manager, the Size parameter shows you only the message size,
but the database also contains the message folder tables and view tables
information. When you view the size of the Priv.edb database file, the table
information is included in the reported size".  END QUOTE.
    Email that is deleted may not be reflected for several hours plus
deleting a email may not lower the total storage in a Priv.edb.  If 100
people receive a email with a attachment from a sender, or any source for
that matter, and  only 99 delete the email, then the total storage may drop
only a little. Until all 100 people delete it then it is still there with a
pointer to it.  Email retention periods are necessary to insure that even
SPAM attachments are purged from your Private stores.  Email that is not
required for legal purposes should be deleted after 6 months or for whatever
period you decide to effect.

Quote:> I am trying to find the mailbox size for each of my staff members. I am
> using Exch. 5.5 SP4 on 2K server SP4. When I check the property of the
> private information store, mailbox resources....I see one mailbox size
that
> is different than in the mailbox resources subfolder of the private
> information store. Which one is the accurate one.? Why do we have 2
> different information?

> Thanks,

1. mailbox sizes in the real world.

I have a simple question:
What are some common mailbox size limits you folks impose at your various
companies?

I have tried in vain to get my company to restrict mailbox sizes. Now we
have users with mailboxes
over 1 GB !

For a company of roughly 200 people; I think that a total mail size of ~30GB
is excessive.
I would like to hear any comments from anyone who can spare a minute to
answer.

I'm finding it inceasingly difficult to manage this mess..........

Thanks in Advance!!!!

Eric

2. Problems synchronizing offline folders

3. IS size too big, doesn't correlated to real mail size

4. Exchange Server Backup / Recovery Procedures.

5. real size of the priv.edb

6. alias names

7. Real Priv.edb size

8. Web Site Map

9. difference between Mailbox Size and Private Store Size - Exchange 5.5 SP4

10. max mailbox size, max pub folder size

11. message size and mailbox size?

12. Exchange 5.5 Information store size/Mailbox size limits

13. total mailbox size not eq to edb size