Dell Openmage - good idea or bad idea?

Post by Paul Hutching » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 00:01:27

I'm in two minds whether or not to install this on the new servers.

Part of me says "good, you get to know when fans or temps are abnormal",
part of me says "it's additional *that can break".

Any opinions on this - I tend to work on the theory that our Exchange
servers will just run exchange and scanmail, and anything else is probably
unnecessary.

regards
Paul
--
paul <at> spamcop.net

Dell Openmage - good idea or bad idea?

Post by Rich » Thu, 13 Feb 2003 03:39:38

Same deal with Compaq insight manager agents, sure it's more *to run but
it's worth it when something goes wrong and you get notified and can fix the
problem before it impacts the users.

Rich.

Quote:> I'm in two minds whether or not to install this on the new servers.

> Part of me says "good, you get to know when fans or temps are abnormal",
> part of me says "it's additional *that can break".

> Any opinions on this - I tend to work on the theory that our Exchange
> servers will just run exchange and scanmail, and anything else is probably
> unnecessary.

> regards
> Paul
> --
> paul <at> spamcop.net

1. Exchange server as File server - bad idea?

Our company is contemplating moving to an Exchange server. (We
currently use POP mail from our website host.) The consultants who are
helping us with the project have suggested getting a new server that
will run Exchange (with OWA) for our corporate email, while also
serving as the file server. Any issues with this? It's been suggested
by someone else in the company that this constitutes a serious
security risk, given that it will be publicly accessible (in order to
provide remote access to email via the Web and pull mail off the
Internet).

The consultant's response is that this is essentially the SBS setup.
He's also recommending a PIX firewall. We would VPN between three
offices for mail and file sharing.

This machine would serve one other application, a payroll database
(small company, 35 employees). We hope to go ahead and start
purchasing hardware and software in the next day or so. Thanks in
advance for your comments.

2. Using first name and last name in email address.

3. Bad idea this is an Exchange Newsgroup no one cares

4. Exchange store will not run, attendant and Directory services will

5. Exchange 5.5 as an ISP host: Bad idea?

6. How to reduce replication overhead in large organization?

7. Full-Text Index - Good idea?

8. I need ideas for better access

9. is the empty DL with old address a good idea

10. Hardware for 5.5 install, a better idea?

11. Disable Auto Replies to the Internet - Good Idea?

12. Any Ideas Would Be Good!!