hard drive filling up

Post by Deb » Sat, 01 Nov 2003 22:43:33

Hi all,

The C drive on my Exchange server is almost full.  I'm getting ready to
migrate to a new server with Exchange 2000 so I don't want to mess with a
bigger drive.  What kind of log files or temporary files does Exchange
create that are safe for me to move or delete to get me by for another
month?

Thanks in advance,
Deb

hard drive filling up

Post by Baris Eris [MS » Sun, 02 Nov 2003 01:10:27

Do you backup your Exchange server regularly, and I mean "Exchange backup",
not file level backup. Backup operation gracefully cleans-up log files.

Check your storage group properties inside Exchange System Manager. Check
for the path to the transaction logs. Then review contents of that folder
using Windows explorer. There should be many 5mbyte files. You should NOT
delete them by hand, but instead take full backup of Exchange using (if you
don't have 3rd party solution) ntbackup (run it on Exchange server itself).

Also make sure you're running latest. That is, Exchange 2000
SP3+postSP3september Roll-up fix.

HTH,

Baris.

Quote:> Hi all,

> The C drive on my Exchange server is almost full.  I'm getting ready to
> migrate to a new server with Exchange 2000 so I don't want to mess with a
> bigger drive.  What kind of log files or temporary files does Exchange
> create that are safe for me to move or delete to get me by for another
> month?

> Thanks in advance,
> Deb

hard drive filling up

Post by Charlotte Zinck [MSFT » Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:50:09

Deb,

If the databases are consistent then the only files you need are the
database files.  If you stop the information store service your database
files are consistent and you can remove all log files.

Here is what you will want to do:
1.  Stop the information store service from the services panel.
2.  In the mdbdata folder you will only need the following files:
priv1.edb, priv1.stm, pub1.edb & pub1.stm.
3.  Move all other files into a sub folder
4.  Restart the information store service.
5.  Once the databases are mounted then you can delete the temporary folder
with all the log files you do not need.

Hope this helps,
C*te Zinck [MSFT]
Microsoft Exchange Support

newsgroup purposes only.

Quote:> Hi all,

> The C drive on my Exchange server is almost full.  I'm getting ready to
> migrate to a new server with Exchange 2000 so I don't want to mess with a
> bigger drive.  What kind of log files or temporary files does Exchange
> create that are safe for me to move or delete to get me by for another
> month?

> Thanks in advance,
> Deb

1. Exchange 2000 mysteriously filling up hard drive

Yesterday... on Exchange server SP1 on Windows 2000 my
information store crashed..  I managed to go into services
and restart the store...  i came in this morning and c:
drive had dropped 1 gig in free space.  My information
stores are located on my E: drive and my transaction logs
are only about 48mb in size.  For the life of me i can't
figure out what would have consumed 1 gig.  I looked in
the mail queue and it is also empty.  It looked like from
the event viewer that it had done it's own recovery and
got everything back up and working.  I just need to find
out what that 1 gig of stuff is..

thanks in advance..!!

2. Exchange & MS Mail

3. Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

4. Posiable virus

5. Exchange 2000 server mysteriously filling up hard drive

6. Need docs/resources on Exchange5.5 clustering

7. PLEASE HELP !Exchange 2000 server is mysteriously filling up hard drive

8. Internet Mail service for Exchange under WFW 3.11

9. Exchange 2000 Server mysteriously filling up hard drive...

10. Exchange server 5.5 filling up hard drive

11. Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

12. Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

13. Moving drive M to another new hard drive