no transport error on internet mail send and strange solution

no transport error on internet mail send and strange solution

Post by Jerry » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 08:02:46

Hi,

We are experiencing a "no transport" error when users try to send mail to
accounts on the internet.   All clients are Outlook 2000. The error occurs
regardless of whether the user enters the email address from the contacts

presses the send button they receive a message from System Administrator
title "Undeliverable:... message title...".   The contents of the message
are:
"
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipience
Subject: .....
Send: 1/1/2002 10:00AM

The following recepients could not be reached:

No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient.
"
This error started occur over a weekend.  Last week these users had no
problems sending email.

After playing around a bit we discovered that the only users that have the
problem where the ones who did NOT have their mail stored locally in a .PST
file.  In fact, when we created personal folders for these users they could
send mail without a problem.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

We have an Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows NT 4.0 SP5.  The outlook
clients are set up as Corporate or Workgroup and have their own Internet
Mail services configured.  As far as I can tell the Outlook client
configurations are correct.  They point to the ISP's mail server.

It almost seems as if the people that were storing their mail on the
Exchange server were using something on Exchange to address and send their
mail.  While those that had a PST were not.

Any help in understanding this strangeness would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

no transport error on internet mail send and strange solution

Post by Stephen Mont » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 12:16:13

I would say you are correct.  They are using Exchange to send their mail.
In Outlook, go to Tools Services, go to the Delivery tab, and they probably
have MS Exchange Transport listed as the Information Service used to deliver
mail.

You should also have their Internet Mail Services information service
listed.  You should be able to move that up the order to correct the
problem.

Stephen.

>Hi,

>We are experiencing a "no transport" error when users try to send mail to
>accounts on the internet.   All clients are Outlook 2000. The error occurs
>regardless of whether the user enters the email address from the contacts

>presses the send button they receive a message from System Administrator
>title "Undeliverable:... message title...".   The contents of the message
>are:
>"
>Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipience
>Subject: .....
>Send: 1/1/2002 10:00AM

>The following recepients could not be reached:

>No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient.
>"
>This error started occur over a weekend.  Last week these users had no
>problems sending email.

>After playing around a bit we discovered that the only users that have the
>problem where the ones who did NOT have their mail stored locally in a .PST
>file.  In fact, when we created personal folders for these users they could
>send mail without a problem.

>Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

>We have an Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows NT 4.0 SP5.  The outlook
>clients are set up as Corporate or Workgroup and have their own Internet
>Mail services configured.  As far as I can tell the Outlook client
>configurations are correct.  They point to the ISP's mail server.

>It almost seems as if the people that were storing their mail on the
>Exchange server were using something on Exchange to address and send their
>mail.  While those that had a PST were not.

>Any help in understanding this strangeness would be greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Jerry

no transport error on internet mail send and strange solution

Post by Jerry » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 02:11:49

I tried this change, but it did not seem to help.  Also, I just wanted to
state that we do not have Internet Mail Services configured on our exchange
server. The uses have their Outlook client configured with the Internet
E-mail service.

> I would say you are correct.  They are using Exchange to send their mail.
> In Outlook, go to Tools Services, go to the Delivery tab, and they
probably
> have MS Exchange Transport listed as the Information Service used to
deliver
> mail.

> You should also have their Internet Mail Services information service
> listed.  You should be able to move that up the order to correct the
> problem.

> Stephen.

> >Hi,

> >We are experiencing a "no transport" error when users try to send mail to
> >accounts on the internet.   All clients are Outlook 2000. The error
occurs
> >regardless of whether the user enters the email address from the contacts

> >presses the send button they receive a message from System Administrator
> >title "Undeliverable:... message title...".   The contents of the message
> >are:
> >"
> >Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipience
> >Subject: .....
> >Send: 1/1/2002 10:00AM

> >The following recepients could not be reached:

> >No transport provider was available for delivery to this recipient.
> >"
> >This error started occur over a weekend.  Last week these users had no
> >problems sending email.

> >After playing around a bit we discovered that the only users that have
the
> >problem where the ones who did NOT have their mail stored locally in a
.PST
> >file.  In fact, when we created personal folders for these users they
could
> >send mail without a problem.

> >Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

> >We have an Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows NT 4.0 SP5.  The
outlook
> >clients are set up as Corporate or Workgroup and have their own Internet
> >Mail services configured.  As far as I can tell the Outlook client
> >configurations are correct.  They point to the ISP's mail server.

> >It almost seems as if the people that were storing their mail on the
> >Exchange server were using something on Exchange to address and send
their
> >mail.  While those that had a PST were not.

> >Any help in understanding this strangeness would be greatly appreciated.

> >Thanks,

> >Jerry

no transport error on internet mail send and strange solution

Post by Russ » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:27:30

Right, and because they are connected to an Exchange
server, Exchange expects to send internet mail, which it
can't.  You can create 2 separate profiles, or you can let
your expensive email server send email.  (Sorry, don't
mean to sound like a wiseguy!)

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I tried this change, but it did not seem to help.  Also,
I just wanted to
>state that we do not have Internet Mail Services

configured on our exchange
>server. The uses have their Outlook client configured
with the Internet
>E-mail service.

>> I would say you are correct.  They are using Exchange
to send their mail.
>> In Outlook, go to Tools Services, go to the Delivery
tab, and they
>probably
>> have MS Exchange Transport listed as the Information
Service used to
>deliver
>> mail.

>> You should also have their Internet Mail Services
information service
>> listed.  You should be able to move that up the order
to correct the
>> problem.

>> Stephen.

Quote:>> >Hi,

>> >We are experiencing a "no transport" error when users
try to send mail to
>> >accounts on the internet.   All clients are Outlook
2000. The error
>occurs
>> >regardless of whether the user enters the email

address from the contacts
Immediately after the user
Quote:>> >presses the send button they receive a message from

System Administrator
Quote:>> >title "Undeliverable:... message title...".   The

contents of the message

>> >are:
>> >"
>> >Your message did not reach some or all of the intended
recipience
>> >Subject: .....
>> >Send: 1/1/2002 10:00AM

>> >The following recepients could not be reached:

>> >No transport provider was available for delivery to
this recipient.
>> >"
>> >This error started occur over a weekend.  Last week
these users had no
>> >problems sending email.

>> >After playing around a bit we discovered that the only
users that have
>the
>> >problem where the ones who did NOT have their mail
stored locally in a
>..PST
>> >file.  In fact, when we created personal folders for
these users they
>could
>> >send mail without a problem.

>> >Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

>> >We have an Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows NT
4.0 SP5.  The
>outlook
>> >clients are set up as Corporate or Workgroup and have
their own Internet
>> >Mail services configured.  As far as I can tell the
Outlook client
>> >configurations are correct.  They point to the ISP's
mail server.

>> >It almost seems as if the people that were storing
their mail on the
>> >Exchange server were using something on Exchange to
address and send
>their
>> >mail.  While those that had a PST were not.

>> >Any help in understanding this strangeness would be

greatly appreciated.

Quote:

>> >Thanks,

>> >Jerry

>.

no transport error on internet mail send and strange solution

Post by Jerry » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 01:46:20

That makes sense. But, why have these users been able to operate like this
until Monday?  This problem only started Monday afternoon and we have not
changed Exchange or the Outlook profiles in 6 months.

My working theory is that perhaps Exchange was previously sending mail and
something external at our ISP changed, like a DNS server or they moved their
SMTP server.  So I checked the registry but could not find any references to
the SMTP server.  Does anyone know where Exchange stores it's addressing
info?  Is it in the SQL DB, an .ini file, or ???.

Thanks,

Jerry

> Right, and because they are connected to an Exchange
> server, Exchange expects to send internet mail, which it
> can't.  You can create 2 separate profiles, or you can let
> your expensive email server send email.  (Sorry, don't
> mean to sound like a wiseguy!)

1. Sending Internet mail with internet mail user ID not exchange ID through Outlook 2000 - A solution

A Solution to this

1. On exchange Administrator, add a custom recipient to the global address
book, set permissions to include 'send' as and add users as required.
2. On outlook add internet mail using Tools, Services, Add, Internet email,
Set up mail server info and user / password info for Internet mail account.
Log off OL2K, Logo on and click NEW message, Click VIEW, FROM and the 'from'
box will appear. click the 'from' button in message and select name from
list (right click to add to user address book - see note1 below)
Send message and it will be sent using your full settings as defined in

Note1. To hide the address from the view of other users use Exchange
Administrator and under Global Address book, double click Address, select
Advanced tab and select 'Hide From Address Book'

I don't take credit for this, that belongs at
http://victori.hypermart.net/SendAs.html
It will say that it's been checked on Exch 5.5 and OL98, now Exch5.5 and
OL2000

Regards

Colin Brown.

If you are looking for managed office space look at www.codicote.org, they
have superb facilities.

2. POP3 Mail on SBS 2000

3. How to send Internet Mail using Exchange Transport!!

4. Slow Notification

5. Exchange trying to send Internet Mail via MSMail transport

6. Outgoing Email

7. Messages sent via internet are corrupt or have a strange attachment

8. Outlook web access

9. Exchange and Internet Mail (Outlook isn't sending internet mail)

10. Can't send internet mail through Internet Mail Service

11. Can send Internet E-mail through IMC, but cannot receive Internet E-mail

12. SMTP SSL Transport strange behavior with Exchange 2000

13. A Strange problem, exchange 5.5 Can send mail to internet mail host, but cannot send to internal mail host.