external issues with SMTP

Post by Eric Sabin » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 10:49:15

Using Exchange 2000 SP3 on Win2k SP2, exchange is set up to allow SMTP relay
to authenticated users, but when I try from home, I can't send email with
SMTP to any external email address.  If I SMTP to an internal address within
our domain, it works fine.  The failure reads:

The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by

Subject 'test', Account: 'EmailAccountName', Server: 'mail.ourserver.com',
Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '550 Domain invalid', Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 550, Error Number: 0x800CCC79

Any ideas on what could be the issue?  SMTP virtual server properties are
Relay: allow all in list, allow all that authenticate to send email
regardless of list send email
Authentication: Anonymous, basic, and integrated are all checked.  Also,
domain name is listed in default domain.
SMTP Connector is there, "allow messages to be relayed" is unchecked.  Not
sure if the SMTP connector is necessary?

thanks
Eric

1. Inbox Assistant not forwarding incoming SMTP to external SMTP

After we moved our Internet Mail Service from a 5.0sp2 to a 5.5sp3 server to
prevent mail relay, some of our offsite people stopped receiving mail
addressed to them at their SMTP address at our headquarters. Basically, the

turn the forwarding rule off, but it goes into a black hole with the rule
on. Nothing in the Internet queue... nothing returned to Postmaster, etc.
Any ideas what might be going on? The Outlook client is '98 with the latest
updates. We use Inbox Assistant rather than Rules Wizard.

Thanks,

Russ

2. Newbie Questions (3)

3. E2k SMTP Smarthost/Multiple SMTP Domain ISSUES

4. Etrn!

5. Strange issue - can't send attachments to external recipients, regular emails go OK

6. Noteworks Client Coversion to Exchange

7. External access issue

8. Mailbox audit - how to?

9. Exchange Server External / Internal DNS Issue

10. Help with Exchange Issues-No External Mail

11. OWA - External Access Issue

12. GAL and External SMTP Email Addresses

13. SMTP problem with sending email to external internet address