Can Exchange connect to Win95 Workgroup Postoffice??

Can Exchange connect to Win95 Workgroup Postoffice??

Post by JK » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Please bear with me but I'm getting confused.  Can Exchange link to the
workgroup postoffice which comes as part of Win 95? Now I was under the
impression that the Win95 workgroup postoffice was MS Mail.  And therefore
the exchange MS Mail connector would work.  However after reading the setup
information about configuring MS Mail for the 'Shadow' postoffice I'm not
sure.

Thanks for any help

JAK

Can Exchange connect to Win95 Workgroup Postoffice??

Post by Khaled el Bagour » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

MS Mail was a mail server, using the same method of the PostOffice in file
sharing ... but the Win95 PostOffice is a passive one .. it doesn't support
connectors or gateways .. so Exchange can't connect to it using the MSM
connector .. by the way .. I thought about the same idea .. but then I
smiled and forgot it :-)

Can Exchange connect to Win95 Workgroup Postoffice??

Post by Amiri Jon » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi,

>Please bear with me but I'm getting confused.  Can Exchange link to the
>workgroup postoffice which comes as part of Win 95? Now I was under the
>impression that the Win95 workgroup postoffice was MS Mail.  And
>therefore the exchange MS Mail connector would work.  However after
>reading the setup information about configuring MS Mail for the 'Shadow'
>postoffice I'm not sure.

        The only thing Exchange can do with a workgroup postoffice is import
its content into Exchange mailboxes via the Migration Wizard.  The
workgroup postoffice lacks the necesary executables (namely, EXTERNAL.EXE)
to handle mail to/from recipients not located in that postoffice.

Post by Chris Schar » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>>Hi,

>>Please bear with me but I'm getting confused.  Can Exchange link to the
>>workgroup postoffice which comes as part of Win 95? Now I was under the
>>impression that the Win95 workgroup postoffice was MS Mail.  And
>>therefore the exchange MS Mail connector would work.  However after
>>reading the setup information about configuring MS Mail for the 'Shadow'
>>postoffice I'm not sure.

>            The only thing Exchange can do with a workgroup postoffice is import
>its content into Exchange mailboxes via the Migration Wizard.  The
>workgroup postoffice lacks the necesary executables (namely, EXTERNAL.EXE)
>to handle mail to/from recipients not located in that postoffice.

Additionally there was at one time an upgrade available to upgrade a
WGPO to MS Mail, but I don't believe it is available any longer.

--
Chris Scharff          | A ship in the harbor is safe, but
Exchange Administrator | that's not what ship's are built for.

1. Help With MS Workgroup Postoffice and Exchange

Hello,

I have to install a New Exchange server, on a site where they use MS
Workgroup Postoffice.
I do not see any problem with the migration, but the problem is that this
customer does not to migrate all of the users to exchange, so i need setup
some kind of connectivity between those servers so that postoffice users can
send mail to exchange and vice versa, any one expiriance with this ??

Thanks
Rob Krijger

2. Problem Installing Exchange Trial Version

3. Migrating from Workgroup Postoffice to Exchange

4. AD recreated

5. Exchange 5.5 email problems sending or receiving

6. Workgroup Postoffice Size

7. Prior to upgrading Exch 5.5 to E2K... HELP!

8. Win95 Exchange PostOffice Problem

9. Win95 Exchange Postoffice Problem

10. Win95 Exchange PostOffice Problem

11. NT Workgroup Postoffice