Shared calendars across sites

Post by Mike » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 00:25:50

Hi

This may be an easy one (straight yes or no I hope).

Is it possible to share diaries across multiple sites? I'm looking to
connect around 20 projects via a VPN over ADSL or ISDN with local Exchange
2000 servers at each site. What I want to know is it there is a way that
user whose mailbox is located at site A can use the meeting planner to see
free/busy time of a user whose mailbox sits on the server in site B. If it's
not possible with basic Exchange, does anyone know of any third party
add-ons that might do the job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shared calendars across sites

Post by Carlos Lozan » Sat, 06 Oct 2001 02:17:53

You can put the shared calendar in the public folders. Give
access rights to the users are going to access it. If you
are using Outlook make sure to add the new calendar folder
to the toolbar.

Carlos Lozano

Quote:> Hi

> This may be an easy one (straight yes or no I hope).

> Is it possible to share diaries across multiple sites? I'm
looking to
> connect around 20 projects via a VPN over ADSL or ISDN
with local Exchange
> 2000 servers at each site. What I want to know is it there
is a way that
> user whose mailbox is located at site A can use the

meeting planner to see
Quote:> free/busy time of a user whose mailbox sits on the server
in site B. If it's
> not possible with basic Exchange, does anyone know of any
third party
> add-ons that might do the job?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks

Shared calendars across sites

Post by Ian » Tue, 09 Oct 2001 21:49:52

Thanks - the problem is for individual users though. I don't really want to
put everyone's calendar in the public folders. Anybody know if there's some
way of sync'ing individual calendars between sites so that a user could open
someone in a diferent site's calendar and see their appointments?

Cheers
Ian

> You can put the shared calendar in the public folders. Give
> access rights to the users are going to access it. If you
> are using Outlook make sure to add the new calendar folder
> to the toolbar.

> Carlos Lozano

> > Hi

> > This may be an easy one (straight yes or no I hope).

> > Is it possible to share diaries across multiple sites? I'm
> looking to
> > connect around 20 projects via a VPN over ADSL or ISDN
> with local Exchange
> > 2000 servers at each site. What I want to know is it there
> is a way that
> > user whose mailbox is located at site A can use the
> meeting planner to see
> > free/busy time of a user whose mailbox sits on the server
> in site B. If it's
> > not possible with basic Exchange, does anyone know of any
> third party
> > add-ons that might do the job?

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks

Shared calendars across sites

Post by Amiri Jone » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 02:59:51

    Have the desired users give others access to their Calendar folder; this
is done by selecting the "File\Folder\Properties for 'folder name'" option.
Go to the Permissions tab and give the desired users Reviewer access.  Click
OK to save the changes.  Now, whenever a user wants to look at someone
else's calendar, they select the "File\Open\Other User's Folder" option.
From here, they simply select the desired person and choose Calendar.
    Note that this will only work if the users in question are keeping their
mailboxes on the server; on the Delivery tab in the user's profile, it must
be set to 'Mailbox' and not 'Personal Folders' (or some other service).
Also note that one cannot access folders in others' mailboxes unless that
person has specific permission to access the folder in question; this is
granted either by the mailbox owner or by the server administrator.

> Thanks - the problem is for individual users though. I don't really want
> put everyone's calendar in the public folders. Anybody know if there's
some
> way of sync'ing individual calendars between sites so that a user could
open
> someone in a diferent site's calendar and see their appointments?

> Cheers
> Ian

> > You can put the shared calendar in the public folders. Give
> > access rights to the users are going to access it. If you
> > are using Outlook make sure to add the new calendar folder
> > to the toolbar.

> > Carlos Lozano

> > > Hi

> > > This may be an easy one (straight yes or no I hope).

> > > Is it possible to share diaries across multiple sites? I'm
> > looking to
> > > connect around 20 projects via a VPN over ADSL or ISDN
> > with local Exchange
> > > 2000 servers at each site. What I want to know is it there
> > is a way that
> > > user whose mailbox is located at site A can use the
> > meeting planner to see
> > > free/busy time of a user whose mailbox sits on the server
> > in site B. If it's
> > > not possible with basic Exchange, does anyone know of any
> > third party
> > > add-ons that might do the job?

> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> > > Thanks

Shared calendars across sites

Post by Ian » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:20:44

Thanks Amiri but it doesn't help with my particular question....

What I need to know is can people IN DIFFERENT SITES access free busy/time?
ie, a user in site b wants to connect to open a user in site a's calendar or
view their free/busy time. I suppose it comes down to RPC connections? The
sites will be connected by a VPN

Any help will make my day.....cheers

>     Have the desired users give others access to their Calendar folder;
this
> is done by selecting the "File\Folder\Properties for 'folder name'"
option.
> Go to the Permissions tab and give the desired users Reviewer access.
Click
> OK to save the changes.  Now, whenever a user wants to look at someone
> else's calendar, they select the "File\Open\Other User's Folder" option.
> From here, they simply select the desired person and choose Calendar.
>     Note that this will only work if the users in question are keeping
their
> mailboxes on the server; on the Delivery tab in the user's profile, it
must
> be set to 'Mailbox' and not 'Personal Folders' (or some other service).
> Also note that one cannot access folders in others' mailboxes unless that
> person has specific permission to access the folder in question; this is
> granted either by the mailbox owner or by the server administrator.

> > Thanks - the problem is for individual users though. I don't really want
> > put everyone's calendar in the public folders. Anybody know if there's
> some
> > way of sync'ing individual calendars between sites so that a user could
> open
> > someone in a diferent site's calendar and see their appointments?

> > Cheers
> > Ian

> > > You can put the shared calendar in the public folders. Give
> > > access rights to the users are going to access it. If you
> > > are using Outlook make sure to add the new calendar folder
> > > to the toolbar.

> > > Carlos Lozano

> > > looking to
> > > with local Exchange
> > > is a way that
> > > meeting planner to see
> > > in site B. If it's
> > > third party

Shared calendars across sites

Post by Amiri Jone » Sat, 13 Oct 2001 02:47:14

    With RPC connectivity, it might work, but I've never tried it.  I
haven't seen anyone ask that question around here either.

> Thanks Amiri but it doesn't help with my particular question....

> What I need to know is can people IN DIFFERENT SITES access free
busy/time?
> ie, a user in site b wants to connect to open a user in site a's calendar
or
> view their free/busy time. I suppose it comes down to RPC connections? The
> sites will be connected by a VPN

> Any help will make my day.....cheers

> >     Have the desired users give others access to their Calendar folder;
> this
> > is done by selecting the "File\Folder\Properties for 'folder name'"
> option.
> > Go to the Permissions tab and give the desired users Reviewer access.
> Click
> > OK to save the changes.  Now, whenever a user wants to look at someone
> > else's calendar, they select the "File\Open\Other User's Folder" option.
> > From here, they simply select the desired person and choose Calendar.
> >     Note that this will only work if the users in question are keeping
> their
> > mailboxes on the server; on the Delivery tab in the user's profile, it
> must
> > be set to 'Mailbox' and not 'Personal Folders' (or some other service).
> > Also note that one cannot access folders in others' mailboxes unless
that
> > person has specific permission to access the folder in question; this is
> > granted either by the mailbox owner or by the server administrator.

> > > Thanks - the problem is for individual users though. I don't really
want
> > > put everyone's calendar in the public folders. Anybody know if there's
> > some
> > > way of sync'ing individual calendars between sites so that a user
could
> > open
> > > someone in a diferent site's calendar and see their appointments?

> > > Cheers
> > > Ian

Shared calendars across sites

Post by Ian » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 01:20:44

Thanks Amiri but it doesn't help with my particular question....

What I need to know is can people IN DIFFERENT SITES access free
busy/time?
ie, a user in site b wants to connect to open a user in site a's
calendar or
view their free/busy time. I suppose it comes down to RPC connections?
The
sites will be connected by a VPN

Any help will make my day.....cheers

Quote:>     Have the desired users give others access to their Calendar

folder;
this
> is done by selecting the "File\Folder\Properties for 'folder name'"
option.
> Go to the Permissions tab and give the desired users Reviewer access.
Click
> OK to save the changes.  Now, whenever a user wants to look at someone
> else's calendar, they select the "File\Open\Other User's Folder"
option.
> From here, they simply select the desired person and choose Calendar.
>     Note that this will only work if the users in question are keeping
their
> mailboxes on the server; on the Delivery tab in the user's profile, it
must
> be set to 'Mailbox' and not 'Personal Folders' (or some other
service).
> Also note that one cannot access folders in others' mailboxes unless
that
> person has specific permission to access the folder in question; this
is
> granted either by the mailbox owner or by the server administrator.

> > Thanks - the problem is for individual users though. I don't really
want
> > put everyone's calendar in the public folders. Anybody know if
there's
> some
> > way of sync'ing individual calendars between sites so that a user
could
> open
> > someone in a diferent site's calendar and see their appointments?

> > Cheers
> > Ian

> > > You can put the shared calendar in the public folders. Give
> > > access rights to the users are going to access it. If you
> > > are using Outlook make sure to add the new calendar folder
> > > to the toolbar.

> > > Carlos Lozano

> > > looking to
> > > with local Exchange
> > > is a way that
> > > meeting planner to see
> > > in site B. If it's
> > > third party

Shared calendars across sites

Post by Amiri Jone » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 00:34:14

    If you just want general free/busy times (i.e. no details), then each
site has a 'Schedule+ Free/Busy' hidden public folder.  As its name implies,
this folder holds a copy of everybody's free/busy time in that site.
Replicate this folder to the other site, just as you would any other public
folder, and now the people in the other site will be able to see when the
users in the first site are and aren't available (although they won't be
able to see the details of the busy times).  Do the same thing for the
second site to replicate its times to the first site.  Viewing the details
of someone's free/busy times requires direct access to that person's mailbox
(more specifically, their Calendar folder), which requires RPC connectivity
to the server hosting that mailbox.

> Thanks Amiri but it doesn't help with my particular question....

> What I need to know is can people IN DIFFERENT SITES access free
> busy/time?
> ie, a user in site b wants to connect to open a user in site a's
> calendar or
> view their free/busy time. I suppose it comes down to RPC connections?
> The
> sites will be connected by a VPN

> Any help will make my day.....cheers

> >     Have the desired users give others access to their Calendar
> folder;
> this
> > is done by selecting the "File\Folder\Properties for 'folder name'"
> option.
> > Go to the Permissions tab and give the desired users Reviewer access.
> Click
> > OK to save the changes.  Now, whenever a user wants to look at someone
> > else's calendar, they select the "File\Open\Other User's Folder"
> option.
> > From here, they simply select the desired person and choose Calendar.
> >     Note that this will only work if the users in question are keeping
> their
> > mailboxes on the server; on the Delivery tab in the user's profile, it
> must
> > be set to 'Mailbox' and not 'Personal Folders' (or some other
> service).
> > Also note that one cannot access folders in others' mailboxes unless
> that
> > person has specific permission to access the folder in question; this
> is
> > granted either by the mailbox owner or by the server administrator.

> > > Thanks - the problem is for individual users though. I don't really
> want
> > > put everyone's calendar in the public folders. Anybody know if
> there's
> > some
> > > way of sync'ing individual calendars between sites so that a user
> could
> > open
> > > someone in a diferent site's calendar and see their appointments?

> > > Cheers
> > > Ian

1. Shared calendars across sites

Hi

This may be an easy one (straight yes or no I hope).

Is it possible to share diaries across multiple sites? I'm looking to
connect around 20 projects via a VPN over ADSL or ISDN with local Exchange
2000 servers at each site. What I want to know is it there is a way that
user whose mailbox is located at site A can use the meeting planner to see
free/busy time of a user whose mailbox sits on the server in site B. If it's
not possible with basic Exchange, does anyone know of any third party
add-ons that might do the job?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. How to install OWA

3. Proxy Server Article

4. INFORMATION STORE STILL HANGS!!!

5. Remote Administration

6. Share Calendars across Sites

7. Sharing Calendars across multiple domains/sites

8. Address List, Calendar Sharing across Trusted 2000 Domains

9. Sharing Calendar Information across 2 Exchange Organisations

10. share calendars across NT domains...