How to administer Exchange Services on NT Server from a NT Workstation

How to administer Exchange Services on NT Server from a NT Workstation

Post by Anne Lise Ber » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

does anyone know how I can start i.e. the Exchange Directory  service
from my own computer.
We have our NT server with Exchange Server in a different building. (I
work at a university).
Services in Control panel will only show my local services.

Regards,

Anne Lise Berg

How to administer Exchange Services on NT Server from a NT Workstation

Post by Shawn Becker » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Run the Server Manager from your machine.  This will allow to start/stop
services on other NT servers/workstations.

>Hello,

>does anyone know how I can start i.e. the Exchange Directory  service
>from my own computer.
>We have our NT server with Exchange Server in a different building. (I
>work at a university).
>Services in Control panel will only show my local services.

>Regards,

>Anne Lise Berg

How to administer Exchange Services on NT Server from a NT Workstation

Post by Mike Melanc » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:31:42 +0200, Anne Lise Berg

>Hello,

>does anyone know how I can start i.e. the Exchange Directory  service
>from my own computer.
>We have our NT server with Exchange Server in a different building. (I
>work at a university).
>Services in Control panel will only show my local services.

You have to load "Client Based Network Tools" on your local
workstation from the NT Server CD.

Or if you want a command line/batch interface, get the NETSVC.EXE from
the Resource kit.

NETSVC servicename \\computername /command

   servicename  Name of the service
   computername Name of the computer to administer.
   /command     One of the following:
                /query    Queries the status of the service.
                /start    Starts the service.
                /stop     Stops the service.
                /pause    Pauses the service.
                /continue Starts the paused service.
                /list     Lists installed services (omit servicename)

Arguments are allowed in any order.

We use a bat file with the following (where EXCHSRV is the Exchange
server)

netsvc MSExchangeSA \\EXCHSRV /start
netsvc MSExchangeDS \\EXCHSRV /start
netsvc MSExchangeMTA \\EXCHSRV /start
netsvc MSExchangeIMC \\EXCHSRV /start
netsvc MSExchangeIS \\EXCHSRV /start
exit

Quote:

>Regards,

>Anne Lise Berg

HTH,

Mike

Post by Paul Gunsto » Fri, 10 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,

> does anyone know how I can start i.e. the Exchange Directory  service
> from my own computer.
> We have our NT server with Exchange Server in a different building. (I
> work at a university).
> Services in Control panel will only show my local services.

> Regards,

> Anne Lise Berg

Install MS Exchange on the NT Workstation, but only the Administration
Components.
Providing that you have sufficient rights to the host server then you
will be able attach yourself to Exchange and administer users mailboxes
as if you were standing at the server itself.

NB This worked for a colleague but not for myself !