Moving Exchange server from Primary (C) drive to secondary hard drive

Moving Exchange server from Primary (C) drive to secondary hard drive

Post by Russell Kem » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 21:56:03

Hi there,

I have a problem with my exchange server (v 5.5). The
server is quite old now and only has 2GB hard drive (which
has winnt files exchange server and our fax program
running off it). When the drive drops under 10MB of space
the MTA fails. So far I have kept things rolling by
regularly deleting archives, logs and temp files.

I have added a larger hard drive to run exchange server
and other programs. Can you tell me how I go about moving
the exchange server from one drive to another?

Many thanks

Russell

Moving Exchange server from Primary (C) drive to secondary hard drive

Post by Lanwenc » Tue, 01 Jan 2002 23:57:08

Use the Performance Optimizer. Re your logs, are you doing regular online
backups of Exchange using NTBackup or a third party program like Arcserve
with the appropriate Exchange agent installed?

Quote:> Hi there,

> I have a problem with my exchange server (v 5.5). The
> server is quite old now and only has 2GB hard drive (which
> has winnt files exchange server and our fax program
> running off it). When the drive drops under 10MB of space
> the MTA fails. So far I have kept things rolling by
> regularly deleting archives, logs and temp files.

> I have added a larger hard drive to run exchange server
> and other programs. Can you tell me how I go about moving
> the exchange server from one drive to another?

> Many thanks

> Russell

Moving Exchange server from Primary (C) drive to secondary hard drive

Post by Chai Vu » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 05:11:48

Sometimes, this might be your problem. Exchange creates a temperary *.STF
file in c:\exchsrvr\MDBDATA\ while your system process a message.  The *.STF
file is about 133% to 200% larger than the original message.

Anyway, I have not solution for and let know if you someone know how to move
this *.STF temperary to point to some other drive and directory.  Performance
Optimizer doesn't solve this *.STF stuff.

We sometimes move audio file about 300MB or more.  The network is fine, but
300MB of message file + 2*300MB of *.stf temp file is about GB.  3 of those
messages kill the whole system.

I am highly appreciated if any help.

Chai.