Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

Post by Terry Snyde » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00



Yes, you do have to defrag with edbutil.exe /d, or move the DB to a
different disk with more space. When defragging, you may need as much free
space as the current size of the DB. You can, however, define the path to
the free space required, and although I've seen documents say it can't be a
networked drive, I've done it to a network drive without a problem.
--

Internal Systems Coordinator
DataMirror Corporation



Quote:> PRIV.EDB has filled up hard drive how do I reduce it's size. I have tried
> deleteing all read/unwanted mail from mailbox ,but the size does not
> reduce.

> Do I have to defrag ?? If I do this however it creates a copy, which I
> don,t have the space to store.

> Many Thanks

> Jon

 
 
 

Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

Post by Ed Woodric » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00


I guess it's time to buy some more disk drives for the server.

Check to make sure that you have recently backed up and all of the log
files have been removed. Also check to see if there is anything else
that you can delete, or temporarily move on the drive. You didn't really
say how big you file is or your drive. If you can clean up enough space,
you can possibly rebuild the dB. You will need, I believe, at least two
times the amount of data in the store. If you can clean out the store by
moving things to a PST on some other system, deleting all, or just about
all of the messages in the store, and then come up with 10-20 MB, you
might have a chance if it is a small installation. If you are talking
about filling up 16 GB, then your only hope is to find enough disk space
to rebuild the file. I am not sure whether the drive has to be local or
just mounted, that might help.

Ed Woodrick
EDCOM

> -----Original Message-----

> Posted At: Tuesday, August 19, 1997 5:34 AM
> Posted To: exchange.admin
> Conversation:      Help !!!    PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive
> Subject:   Help !!!    PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

> PRIV.EDB has filled up hard drive how do I reduce it's size. I have
> tried
> deleteing all read/unwanted mail from mailbox ,but the size does not
> reduce.

> Do I have to defrag ?? If I do this however it creates a copy, which I
> don,t have the space to store.

> Many Thanks

> Jon


 
 
 

Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

Post by Janice How » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00


You are correct - the offline defrag (edbutil) requires an equivalent
amount of free space to do the defrag.  You are also correct that removing
mail does not reduce the size of priv.edb, in simply frees that space up
for future storage that Exchange may need.

The only solution I can think of off the top of my head is to do a back up
and then restore from backup.  Otherwise, add more disk space to do the
defrag.
--
Janice Howd, Exchange MVP, MCSE, MCT



Quote:> PRIV.EDB has filled up hard drive how do I reduce it's size. I have tried
> deleteing all read/unwanted mail from mailbox ,but the size does not
> reduce.

> Do I have to defrag ?? If I do this however it creates a copy, which I
> don,t have the space to store.

> Many Thanks

> Jon

 
 
 

Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

Post by Jon » Wed, 20 Aug 1997 04:00:00


PRIV.EDB has filled up hard drive how do I reduce it's size. I have tried
deleteing all read/unwanted mail from mailbox ,but the size does not
reduce.

Do I have to defrag ?? If I do this however it creates a copy, which I
don,t have the space to store.

Many Thanks

Jon

 
 
 

Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

Post by Kevin Angl » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00



>PRIV.EDB has filled up hard drive how do I reduce it's size. I have tried
>deleteing all read/unwanted mail from mailbox ,but the size does not
>reduce.

A hint and a question:

Don't immediately run edbutil /d right after cleaning up and moving
mailboxes. You must let background garbage collection (IS maintenance
tab) create some white space, as edbutil will not create white space,
it will just rewrite the file to eliminate it. So set the maintenance
schedule to Always and let that cook for a while.

Also, edbutil is poorly documented. For one thing it goes out of its
way to say that edbutil "runs very quickly". Nonsense! It takes 45
minutes per gigabyte approximately. And, there is no space after the
/t switch, which you no doubt will need to use to specify the
"temporary" file location.

Now my question .. what exactly happened when it filled up? What
events, what symptoms? I always thought that if they were clever, it
would just stop committing transactions to the database, and let the
transaction logs disk start to fill up (which could take a while). But
apparently not, huh?

 
 
 

Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

Post by J Morriso » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00



> I guess it's time to buy some more disk drives for the server.

> Check to make sure that you have recently backed up and all of the log
> files have been removed. Also check to see if there is anything else
> that you can delete, or temporarily move on the drive. You didn't really
> say how big you file is or your drive. If you can clean up enough space,
> you can possibly rebuild the dB. You will need, I believe, at least two
> times the amount of data in the store. If you can clean out the store by
> moving things to a PST on some other system, deleting all, or just about
> all of the messages in the store, and then come up with 10-20 MB, you
> might have a chance if it is a small installation. If you are talking
> about filling up 16 GB, then your only hope is to find enough disk space
> to rebuild the file. I am not sure whether the drive has to be local or
> just mounted, that might help.

> Ed Woodrick
> EDCOM

> > -----Original Message-----

> > Posted At:    Tuesday, August 19, 1997 5:34 AM
> > Posted To:    exchange.admin
> > Conversation: Help !!!    PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive
> > Subject:      Help !!!    PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

> > PRIV.EDB has filled up hard drive how do I reduce it's size. I have
> > tried
> > deleteing all read/unwanted mail from mailbox ,but the size does not
> > reduce.

> > Do I have to defrag ?? If I do this however it creates a copy, which I
> > don,t have the space to store.

> > Many Thanks

> > Jon

What about the IMCDATA directory?  The ACHIVE directories in it are
loaded with files that have coded filenames.  Where taking over 10,000
files totalling over 800 megs.  Is it safe to just delete them?  What
are they?  I know they're internet related but I dont think they are
Logs.
                                [John]
 
 
 

Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

Post by Kevin Angl » Thu, 21 Aug 1997 04:00:00



>What about the IMCDATA directory?  The ACHIVE directories in it are
>loaded with files that have coded filenames.  Where taking over 10,000
>files totalling over 800 megs.  Is it safe to just delete them?  What
>are they?  I know they're internet related but I dont think they are
>Logs.

By all means. First, visit the Diagnostic Logging tab of the IMC/IMS.
Set the Message Archive to none *AND* make sure that SMTP Protocol
logging is none or minimum (Despite the documentation, there is no way
to log the SMTP protocol without logging the entire datastream in XC
5.0; this is a bug).

Next, turn off the IMS service. Delete the contents of the archive
directory, and then restart the IMS.

You should also consider running Performance Optimizer when you can
afford the downtime, and let it help you figure out what to put on
what disks.

 
 
 

Help !!! PRIV.edb has filled up hard drive

Post by Kevin Angl » Fri, 22 Aug 1997 04:00:00



>What about the IMCDATA directory?  The ACHIVE directories in it are
>loaded with files that have coded filenames.  Where taking over 10,000
>files totalling over 800 megs.  Is it safe to just delete them?  What
>are they?  I know they're internet related but I dont think they are
>Logs.

By all means. First, visit the Diagnostic Logging tab of the IMC/IMS.
Set the Message Archive to none *AND* make sure that SMTP Protocol
logging is none or minimum (Despite the documentation, there is no way
to log the SMTP protocol without logging the entire datastream in XC
5.0; this is a bug).

Next, turn off the IMS service. Delete the contents of the archive
directory, and then restart the IMS.

You should also consider running Performance Optimizer when you can
afford the downtime, and let it help you figure out what to put on
what disks.

 
 
 

1. priv.edb own hard drive (2)

Thanks for answer. Just to be clear.  We have a very small
harddrive right now and the database is reaching max space
wise.  It is only about 2.9 gig which is not that large so
I've suggested to the boss to get larger hard drive.  So
if I install additional harddrive in the server I can use
the optimizer to move it to this new drive?? Will I have
to install NT and Exchange Server on this new drive as
well??  Thanks in advance.

2. alternate recipient

3. priv.edb own hard drive??

4. multiple domains

5. PLEASE HELP !Exchange 2000 server is mysteriously filling up hard drive

6. OWA causing IIS to crash

7. Exchange 2000 mysteriously filling up hard drive

8. What technology underlies this newsgroup interface?

9. Exchange Growing to fill the whole hard drive

10. Exchange 2000 server mysteriously filling up hard drive

11. Exchange 2000 Server mysteriously filling up hard drive...

12. hard drive filling up

13. Exchange server 5.5 filling up hard drive