Log files mysteriously filling up my drive

Log files mysteriously filling up my drive

Post by Decla » Sun, 26 May 2002 02:47:15

Running Exchange Server 5.5 w/SP4 on Win2k w/SP2, on a
cluster.

I have circular logging disabled, which is required by my
backups.  I have exchange setup, where the transaction
logs for the information store are on its own Drive,
which is 27GB in size.  Now for some strange reason, the
log files are filling up the drive.  The only article I
can find pertaining to this is:
http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?
scid=kb;en-us;Q163913

This article is really not helping me with this issue.
As it says to move the log files to a directory which has
more space.

RESOLUTION
Using the Microsoft Exchange Performance Optimizer, move
the transaction logs to another drive containing
sufficient free disk space. The new drive should have
enough free disk space for all the existing logs to be
moved to that drive and then have enough free disk space
for the service to startup.

I think 27GB of log files is a little ridiculous.  This
only just started happening in the last few days.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

-Declan

Log files mysteriously filling up my drive

Post by Lanwenc » Sun, 26 May 2002 03:03:47

Are you doing nightly online Exchange backups?

Quote:> Running Exchange Server 5.5 w/SP4 on Win2k w/SP2, on a
> cluster.

> I have circular logging disabled, which is required by my
> backups.  I have exchange setup, where the transaction
> logs for the information store are on its own Drive,
> which is 27GB in size.  Now for some strange reason, the
> log files are filling up the drive.  The only article I
> can find pertaining to this is:
> http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?
> scid=kb;en-us;Q163913

> This article is really not helping me with this issue.
> As it says to move the log files to a directory which has
> more space.

> RESOLUTION
> Using the Microsoft Exchange Performance Optimizer, move
> the transaction logs to another drive containing
> sufficient free disk space. The new drive should have
> enough free disk space for all the existing logs to be
> moved to that drive and then have enough free disk space
> for the service to startup.

> I think 27GB of log files is a little ridiculous.  This
> only just started happening in the last few days.

> Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

> -Declan

Log files mysteriously filling up my drive

yes. Full backups nightly.

Post by MV » Sun, 26 May 2002 03:13:27

>Running Exchange Server 5.5 w/SP4 on Win2k w/SP2, on a
>cluster.

>I have circular logging disabled, which is required by my
>backups.  I have exchange setup, where the transaction
>logs for the information store are on its own Drive,
>which is 27GB in size.  Now for some strange reason, the
>log files are filling up the drive.  The only article I
>can find pertaining to this is:
>http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?
>scid=kb;en-us;Q163913

>This article is really not helping me with this issue.
>As it says to move the log files to a directory which has
>more space.

>RESOLUTION
>Using the Microsoft Exchange Performance Optimizer, move
>the transaction logs to another drive containing
>sufficient free disk space. The new drive should have
>enough free disk space for all the existing logs to be
>moved to that drive and then have enough free disk space
>for the service to startup.

>I think 27GB of log files is a little ridiculous.  This
>only just started happening in the last few days.

>Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

>-Declan

Is your backup flushing (read deleting) the logs once it finishes ?
After each exchange backup the logs ought to be cleared out
Mark Arnold MCSE MVP

Before U post... http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm

Post by Rich Matheisen [MVP » Sun, 26 May 2002 10:36:28

>yes. Full backups nightly.

Stop the IS and MOVE the EDB.CHK file to another directory. Restart
the IS. The backups should now remove the unneeded log files (assuming
the "Full backups nightly" means that that you're uing the Exchange
backup and not the file-level backup).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP