Can't Find the OST file after Ghosting. Please help!

Can't Find the OST file after Ghosting. Please help!

Post by Robert Bro » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 00:08:47

Hi,

My Outlook gives the well-known error message "The Exchange server has
detected that you are using an old copy of your OST file.  Please
delete your OST file"

In the past I was able to fix this by searching for the *.ost file in
windows explorer and deleting it. However with my new computer I don't
seem to be able to do it. When I search for *.ost files on all local
drives it comes up with no results but outlook still gives the error.

I am running Windows 2000. This message started appearing after I used
Norton Ghost to revert to a previous state of the OS (it just restores
partition from an image file). Which makes sense because it now has
the old state of Outlook and the Exchange server does not like it. But
before I was always able to fix it by finding and deleting the file
but now it just does not seem to be there. Is it possible that the OST
file is marked hidden or system so that Explorer is not finding it?

Please help!

Please

Can't Find the OST file after Ghosting. Please help!

Post by Missy Koslosky [MVP » Sat, 26 Apr 2003 00:10:58

Just create a new profile and be done with it.  :)

Quote:> Hi,

> My Outlook gives the well-known error message "The Exchange server has
> detected that you are using an old copy of your OST file.  Please
> delete your OST file"

> In the past I was able to fix this by searching for the *.ost file in
> windows explorer and deleting it. However with my new computer I don't
> seem to be able to do it. When I search for *.ost files on all local
> drives it comes up with no results but outlook still gives the error.

> I am running Windows 2000. This message started appearing after I used
> Norton Ghost to revert to a previous state of the OS (it just restores
> partition from an image file). Which makes sense because it now has
> the old state of Outlook and the Exchange server does not like it. But
> before I was always able to fix it by finding and deleting the file
> but now it just does not seem to be there. Is it possible that the OST
> file is marked hidden or system so that Explorer is not finding it?

> Please help!

> Please

1. Can't access old OST file...help please

I seemed to have locked myself out of my own OST file in Exchange.

The story is: have an old OST file containing loads of messages and
attachments from my mailbox at a company I've just left.  I wrongly
assumed that importing the OST file would be easy at my new employer.

Somehow I seemed to have locked myself out of being able to access it
even though I know the password of my old mailbox.

When I fire up exchange it says something like: "You must connect to
your Exhange server at least once before you can access this OST file".

I can't do this as I no longer work for that company.

I suspect from reading previous postings that I'm stuffed...unless
anyone knows any different...

All help much appreciated.
--
Diana Evans

2. how transfer global catolog to other server??

3. Accessing XCH OST files without original profile just the OST's themselves

4. Error when migrating from Msmail. The selected postoffice is read only

5. Cannot sync .OST file using RAS and DUN (Help Please)

6. Front End Server

7. CDO Logon and privileges needed.

8. BIG PROBLEMS Please Help Please Help Please Help Please Help

9. Outlook 2000 can't find outlook.ost

10. OST CAN'T BE FOUND

11. Please help-Where's the autosignature file in Exchange w95 client